Can't File Your 2013 Taxes on Time? Here's How to Get an IRS Extension

The IRS will offer you an automatic six-month extension to file (but not pay) your 2013 taxes, as long as you file form 4868 by April 15.

Apr 4, 2014 at 8:11PM

The deadline to file your 2013 income taxes remains 11:59 p.m. April 15, 2014. If you cannot complete your tax paperwork by that time, the IRS will give you an extension to file, but not to pay. The IRS extension to file is automatic if you file the appropriate paperwork, known as Form 4868, by that same deadline less than two weeks from now.

Form 4868 is available at this link; it can be filed electronically or on paper. The extension gives you an additional six months -- until October 15, 2014 -- to complete your paperwork, but you still must pay your 2013 income taxes by April 15, even if you receive that extension.


What if you don't?
If you don't file your taxes or request an extension on time: The IRS will charge a late filing penalty equal to 5% of your tax due for each month (or partial month) you are late to file, up to a 25% total penalty. There's a minimum penalty of $135 (or the total tax amount due, whichever is smaller), which you'll owe on top of any taxes due. 

If you don't pay your taxes on time: The IRS will charge you a late payment penalty equal to 0.5% per month of any tax due and not paid by April 15, with a maximum penalty of 25%. Even there, the IRS is somewhat reasonable in that it won't charge you that particular penalty if you pay at least 90% of your total 2013 taxes owed through withholdings, estimated taxes, and/or your form 4868 submission.

In addition, the late payment and late filing penalties can stack on top of one another, to a maximum combined penalty of 47.5%. These penalties are added to both the taxes you owe and the interest you owe for not making the payments in a timely manner.

What are you waiting for?
There are some legitimate reasons why you may not have filed your taxes yet. If you haven't, you're not alone.

If you lived outside of the United States in 2013, the paperwork can get incredibly complicated and may take additional time to get right. Similarly, if you've recently moved, and not everybody involved in your taxes has your updated address, you may not have all the paperwork needed to complete your filing on time. Likewise, you may be a bit behind the filing curve if you've faced a disaster like a fire, a tornado, or a death in the family.

On top of those reasons, certain investments, such as partnerships, don't technically have to file their tax paperwork until April 15, 2014. If you're a partner in a partnership that doesn't submit its paperwork until that date, you may simply not have all the materials necessary to complete your own tax return on time.

Whatever your reason, the IRS doesn't care if you miss the April 15 deadline to file your 2013 taxes, so long as you file for the extension and pay what you owe for last year by that date. So if you can't get your tax paperwork completed on time, at least finish form 4868 by then to get your automatic extension and ward off those late-filing penalties.

Take advantage of this little-known tax "loophole"
Recent tax increases have affected nearly every American taxpayer. But with the right planning, you can take steps to take control of your taxes and potentially even lower your tax bill. In our brand-new special report "The IRS Is Daring You to Make This Investment Now!," you'll learn about the simple strategy to take advantage of a little-known IRS rule. Don't miss out on advice that could help you cut taxes for decades to come. Click here to learn more.

Chuck Saletta is a Motley Fool contributor. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

A Financial Plan on an Index Card

Keeping it simple.

Aug 7, 2015 at 11:26AM

Two years ago, University of Chicago professor Harold Pollack wrote his entire financial plan on an index card.

It blew up. People loved the idea. Financial advice is often intentionally complicated. Obscurity lets advisors charge higher fees. But the most important parts are painfully simple. Here's how Pollack put it:

The card came out of chat I had regarding what I view as the financial industry's basic dilemma: The best investment advice fits on an index card. A commenter asked for the actual index card. Although I was originally speaking in metaphor, I grabbed a pen and one of my daughter's note cards, scribbled this out in maybe three minutes, snapped a picture with my iPhone, and the rest was history.

More advisors and investors caught onto the idea and started writing their own financial plans on a single index card.

I love the exercise, because it makes you think about what's important and forces you to be succinct.

So, here's my index-card financial plan:


Everything else is details. 

Something big just happened

I don't know about you, but I always pay attention when one of the best growth investors in the world gives me a stock tip. Motley Fool co-founder David Gardner (whose growth-stock newsletter was rated #1 in the world by The Wall Street Journal)* and his brother, Motley Fool CEO Tom Gardner, just revealed two brand new stock recommendations moments ago. Together, they've tripled the stock market's return over 12+ years. And while timing isn't everything, the history of Tom and David's stock picks shows that it pays to get in early on their ideas.

Click here to be among the first people to hear about David and Tom's newest stock recommendations.

*"Look Who's on Top Now" appeared in The Wall Street Journal which references Hulbert's rankings of the best performing stock picking newsletters over a 5-year period from 2008-2013.

Compare Brokers