Groupon Shopping Study Shows How to Not Blow It On Mother’s Day
Moms Say Receiving a Thoughtless Gift is Worse Than Getting No Gift at All
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Groupon (NSDQ: GRPN) (http://www.groupon.com) today released the results of a new Mother’s Day shopping study, commissioned by Groupon and conducted by Research Now, to better understand shoppers’ biggest gifting challenges on one of the most important holidays of the year. As with Groupon’s end of the year holiday shopping study of last December, finding the right gift is one of the biggest challenges for Mother’s Day shoppers.
Of the 1,002 respondents, a majority reported that finding the right gift is the top challenge (47%), followed by staying within budget or finding something reasonably priced (42%) and finding a gift that shows they care (37%). Additional findings are as follows:
- In addition to flowers, what do shoppers typically give to their moms?
- Brunch or dinner outing (44%)
- Spa or salon service (30%)
- Jewelry and accessories (28%)
- Family activity (21%)
- 55% of people buy traditional gifts such as flowers and greeting cards
- Virtually ALL of the respondents (95%) plan to purchase something else to supplement the traditional gift
"Oh, You Shouldn’t Have . . ."
- Upon receiving a bad gift, the vast majority of moms (84%) say they reluctantly accept it with quiet disappointment
- Only 9% reported that they re-gift the item
- 2% say they make the gift giver feel guilty
No Better Way to Blow It
- According to moms, getting a thoughtless gift is actually worse than getting no gift at all
- A whopping 51% of gift givers wait until one week before Mother’s Day to shop
Moms Deserve the Best
- The average spend for a Mother’s Day gift is $73
Don’t Tell Me
- 2/3 of moms say they want to be surprised on Mother’s Day
It’s What Moms Want
- Top three things Moms say they want for Mother’s Day:
- Something they can do with family
- Relaxation/spa treatment
- Something they wouldn’t normally get for themselves
- Only 5% said they wanted a retreat from the family
The More the Merrier
- Almost half of Mother’s Day shoppers say they buy gifts for more than one mom
GROUPON MOTHER’S DAY RELIEF
To help find that perfect gift for moms everywhere, Groupon has some much needed assistance and advice, in addition to a wide variety of high quality items and experiences at unbeatable prices. To provide relief and assistance, Groupon has two ways to help:
Groupon Gift Finder
Back by popular demand, Groupon’s Gift Finder—at http://www.groupon.com/mothers-day—takes the guesswork out of making gift decisions. After answering three simple questions about the giftee, the Gift Finder searches through thousands of deals across Groupon to display the perfect options.
Groupon’s Gift Experts
The Gift Experts are just that: Groupon’s resident gift-giving experts. They possess a wealth of knowledge on all things Groupon gifting and how to deal with the toughest people to buy for throughout the year. The Gift Experts are currently touring the country to appear on local television networks and radio shows, all in an effort to help gift shoppers everywhere. To book a Gift Expert for an interview, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Groupon (Nasdaq: GRPN ) is a global leader in local commerce, making it easy for people around the world to search and discover great businesses at unbeatable prices. Groupon is reinventing the traditional small business world by providing merchants with a suite of products and services, including customizable deals, payments processing capabilities and point-of-sale solutions to help them attract more customers and run their operations more effectively. By leveraging the company’s global relationships and scale, Groupon offers consumers incredible deals on the best stuff to eat, see, do, and buy in 48 countries. With Groupon, shoppers discover the best a city has to offer with Groupon Local, enjoy vacations with Groupon Getaways, and find a curated selection of electronics, fashion, home furnishings and more with Groupon Goods. To subscribe to Groupon emails, visit www.Groupon.com. To learn more about the company’s merchant solutions and how to work with Groupon, visit www.GrouponWorks.com.
About the Study
The Groupon sponsored online survey was sent via email invitation to random samples of Groupon subscribers. The results are an aggregate of 1,002 responses total.
Tim DeClaire, 312-459-5720
KEYWORDS: United States North America Illinois