Colin Firth’s Performance in The End of the Affair Wins ‘Audiobook of the Year’
Firth’s win is among nine for Audible Studios, which also received the prestigious Audie award for Distinguished Achievement in Production for ‘Dracula’
NEWARK, N.J.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Audible Studios, the production arm of Audible.com, won the ‘Audiobook of the Year’ Audie Award for its production of Graham Greene’s novel, The End of the Affair, performed by Academy Award-winning actor Colin Firth. Announced yesterday at the Audies Gala in New York City, the award capped off an evening during which Audible was also recognized for Distinguished Achievement in Production for its multicast dramatization of Bram Stoker’s Dracula, and won the fiction award for Claire Danes’s performance of Margaret Atwood’s The Handmaid’s Tale. The Audiobook of the Year Award for Audible Studios follows upon Audible’s Grammy win earlier this year in the sole category awarded to outstanding performances of literature.
“I’m grateful for this honor, and grateful for the opportunity to narrate one of my favorite stories—a great novel told in the first person makes for the best script an actor could imagine. None better than The End of the Affair,” said Firth in a statement. “Theater and film each offer their own challenges and rewards, but narration is a new practice for me and the audiobook performance provides exhilarating possibilities for both actors and listeners. I’m thrilled to be involved in bringing this remarkable work of fiction to a wider audience, and thankful to Audible for offering me the opportunity to perform it and to engage with so many who share my passion for storytelling.”
“Congratulations to Colin and to all of the fine actors and performances recognized this year,” said Audible.com founder and CEO Donald Katz. “Listening to Colin’s masterful interpretation of The End of the Affair is an eloquent reminder of why we at Audible have focused so acutely on elevating the quality of audio performances. The End of the Affair truly is theater for the ears.”
Audible Studios’ 2013 winners are:
- Audiobook of the Year: The End of the Affair, by Graham Greene, narrated by Colin Firth
- Distinguished Achievement in Production: Dracula, by Bram Stoker, narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, Simon Vance, Katherine Kellgren, Susan Duerden, John Lee, Graeme Malcolm, Steven Crossley, Simon Prebble, James Adams, Nicola Barber and Marc Vietor
- Original Work: Gun Church, by Reed Farrel Coleman, narrated by Joe Barrett and John Keating
- Audio Drama: Swordspoint, by Ellen Kushner, narrated by Ellen Kushner and supporting cast Dion Graham, Katherine Kellgren, Robert Fass, Nick Sullivan, Simon Jones, Sam Guncler and Anne Bobby (SueMedia Productions for Neil Gaiman Presents/ACX)
- Fantasy: Anita, by Keith Roberts, narrated by Nicola Barber
- Paranormal: Spellbound, by Larry Correia, narrated by Bronson Pinchot
- Fiction: The Handmaid’s Tale, by Margaret Atwood, narrated by Claire Danes
- Multi-Voiced Performance: Dracula, by Bram Stoker, narrated by Alan Cumming, Tim Curry, Simon Vance, Katherine Kellgren, Susan Duerden, John Lee, Graeme Malcolm, Steven Crossley, Simon Prebble, James Adams, Nicola Barber and Marc Vietor
- Narration by the Author: Society’s Child: My Autobiography,by Janis Ian, narrated by Janis Ian
Audible’s 2013 Grammy Award winner for Best Spoken Word Album Janis Ian remarked, “Winning a Grammy for my audiobook was astonishing. Having Society's Child win the Audie for ‘Best Narration by Author’ was gorgeous icing on the cake. It means the world to me that Audible.com have such faith in my narrating, and that Stefan Rudnicki and his team are being recognized for the exceptional creativity and technical ability they brought to our venture. I hope to continue working with this team for years and years to come!”
Among the acclaimed actors who have performed works of literature for Audible Studios in the past year are Anne Hathaway, Diane Keaton, Dustin Hoffman, Jake Gyllenhaal, Kate Winslet and Samuel L. Jackson. In 2008, Audible Studios won its first Audiobook of the Year award for its innovative publication of The Chopin Manuscript, written by an all-star cast of mystery and thriller writers, led by Jeffery Deaver and narrated by Alfred Molina. With Audible Studios, Audible.com has become the largest producer of audiobooks in the world.
Audible, the world’s largest seller of digital spoken-word content, invented and commercialized the first digital audio player in 1997, and has since been at the forefront of the explosively growing audiobook download segment. In 2012, Audible members downloaded an average of 18 books over the course of a year.
ABOUT AUDIBLE, INC.
Audible, Inc., an Amazon.com, Inc. subsidiary (Nasdaq: AMZN ) , is the leading provider of premium digital spoken audio information and entertainment on the Internet, offering customers a new way to enhance and enrich their lives every day. Audible’s mission is to establish literate listening as a core tool for anyone seeking to be more productive, better informed, or more thoughtfully entertained. Audible content comprises more than 135,000 audio programs from more than 2,700 content providers, including leading audiobook publishers, broadcasters, entertainers, magazine and newspaper publishers, and business information providers. Audible is also the preeminent provider of spoken-word audio products for Apple’s iTunes® Store.
Matthew Thornton, 973-820-0402
KEYWORDS: United States North America New Jersey New York