New ExactTarget Research Finds 31% of Online Canadians are More Likely to Purchase after Following a Brand on Twitter
New Study Identifies How Canadian Consumers Interact with Brands Across Email, Facebook, Twitter
INDIANAPOLIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- More than 30 percent of online Canadian consumers are more likely to buy from a company after following them on Twitter, according to a new study released today by global digital marketing leader ExactTarget (NYSE: ET ) .
Based on a survey of more than 1,300 online Canadian consumers (ages 18 and older), the research found Twitter users are more likely than Facebook and email users to buy from a company after engaging with them online.
- 93 percent of online Canadian consumers subscribe to at least one email marketing program
- 44 percent of consumers that subscribe to a brand’s email program have made a purchase after receiving an email marketing message
- 89 percent of consumers report checking email at least once daily
- 61 percent of online Canadian consumers have liked a brand or company on Facebook
- 24 percent of consumers (ages 25-34) on Facebook have made a purchase after receiving a marketing message on Facebook
- 48 percent of Facebook users (18-34) report checking Facebook compulsively throughout the day
- 13 percent of online Canadian consumers have followed a brand on Twitter
- 47 percent of Canadian Twitter users follow brands to keep up with a company’s products, services or offerings
- 5 percent of consumers on Twitter have made a purchase after receiving a marketing message on Twitter
“Canada is among the most digitally connected countries we’ve surveyed which creates a tremendous opportunity for marketers to connect with Canadian consumers across the channels they use most- email, Facebook and Twitter,” said Tim Kopp, ExactTarget’s chief marketing officer. “Our Digital North research offers exclusive insights into why and how consumers engage with brands online, equipping marketers with the necessary tools to optimize digital engagements and fuel business results.”
The debut of the research follows ExactTarget’s launch of similar studies in the U.S., U.K., Australia, Brazil, Germany and France. Together, the research provides global marketers new insight into how consumers around the globe interact with brands across email, Facebook and Twitter.
Key comparisons of the Canadian research to other findings around the world include:
- 65 percent of Canadian consumers with smartphones report checking email at least once per day from their smartphone, compared to 48 percent in Germany
- 53 percent of online Canadian consumers have Liked brands on Facebook to receive discounts, compared to 29 percent in France
- 21 percent of Canadian consumers have followed a brand on Twitter to be affiliated with the product or brand because it is trendy, compared to 13 percent in Australia
To download ExactTarget’s Digital North research report, click here.
ExactTarget is a leading global provider of cross-channel digital marketing software-as-a-service solutions that empower organizations of all sizes to communicate with their customers through email, mobile, social media, Web and marketing automation. ExactTarget's suite of integrated applications enables marketers to plan, automate, deliver and optimize data-driven digital marketing and real-time communications to drive customer engagement, increase sales and improve return on marketing investment. Headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana with offices in Asia, Australia, Europe, North America and South America, ExactTarget trades on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol “ET.” For more information, visit www.ExactTarget.com .
Kari Brownsberger (Finn Partners)
KEYWORDS: United States North America Canada Indiana