Humana and Taste of Chicago Restaurants Partner to Offer Most Ever Healthier Choices, Doubling Prior Selection
Humana emphasizes well-being at Taste with Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide, Well-Being Tour and Biondi Boomer Bash
CHICAGO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- At the Taste of Chicago, the Humana Healthier Choices program is inspiring chefs to offer healthier dishes at the nation’s largest food festival. This year, Humana Inc. (NYSE: HUM ) is bringing back the Humana Healthier Choices program with a larger-than-ever selection of healthier foods and wellness activities.
The 2013 program features a new twist – the Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide, which includes the healthier food listing, wellness activities and options for Taste-goers to collect stamps for a chance to win prizes. The most robust Humana Healthier Choices list ever – 35 foods from 20 Chicago restaurants – includes appetizers, main courses and desserts that meet nutritional criteria for calories, sodium and saturated fat, reviewed by a physician panel.
The Humana Healthier Choices are indicated by a green apple on the menu boards at participating restaurant booths. The Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide is available for free and can be found at more than 70 Dominick’s locations, Humana’s Well-Being Tour at the Taste and online at the Taste of Chicago website http://bit.ly/19CFqtj.
“Taste of Chicago is a great tradition of enjoying local restaurants, good music and celebrating all things Chicago,” said Tim O’Rourke, president of Humana’s Great Lakes Medicare Region. “Humana is happy to be part of that tradition once again, as it ties in perfectly with our dream of helping people of all ages achieve lifelong well-being, while enjoying all that the Taste has to offer.”
All of the restaurants participating in the 2013 Taste of Chicago were invited to submit menu items for consideration in the Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide. For an item to be considered, restaurants must submit nutritional details including calories, sodium content, saturated fat and the list of ingredients.
Humana Healthier Choices for the 2013 Taste of Chicago:
Appetizers/Starters – Less than 320 calories, 300 mg sodium and 2 g saturated fat
- Celtic Corn on the Cob – O'Brien's Restaurant
- Corn on the Cob – Dominick's Finer Foods
- Roasted Corn on the Cob – Abbey Pub
- Sweet Potato Chips – BJ's Market & Bakery
- Taste Portion of Malnati Salad – Lou Malnati's
Main Dishes – Less than 500 calories, 500 mg sodium and 4 g saturated fat
- Chopped Salad – Pazzo's
- Crispy Salmon – BJ's Market & Bakery
- Fresh Green Papaya Salad – Star of Siam
- Garlic Chicken Rice Bowl with Fresh Tomato and Jalapeño Salsa – Pecking Order (Pop-Up, July 12th only)
- Grilled Chicken Satay with Peanut Sauce and Cucumber Salad – Star of Siam
- Grilled Chicken Taco – Carbon Live Fire Mexican Grill
- Grilled Steak Taco – Carbon Live Fire Mexican Grill
- Hoppin’ John Salad – Wishbone
- Mustard-Fried Catfish – BJ's Market & Bakery
- Organic Chick Pea & Herb Salad – Heartland Café (Pop-Up, July 12th only)
- Pulled Chicken Sandwich– Robinson No.1 Ribs
- Taste of Ham N' Cheese Crepe – Flip Crepes
- Watermelon Salad – Inspiration Kitchen (Pop-Up, July 11th only)
Desserts – Less than 320 calories, 300 mg sodium and 2 g saturated fat
- Cherries – Dominick's Finer Food
- Chocolate Covered Banana – Kilwins Chocolates (Pop-Up, July 14th only)
- Dark Chocolate – Dipped Banana – The Fudge Pot
- Dark Chocolate Covered Strawberry – Kilwin’s Chocolates (Pop-Up, July 14th only)
- Frutti Di Bosco (mix berry sorbet) – Caffe Gelato
- Italian Ice – Cherry, Lemon or Orange – Tutto Italiano
- Italian Ice – Lemon, Watermelon, Blue Raspberry Combo – Franco's Ristorante
- Italian Ice – Lemon Watermelon – Franco's Ristorante
- Lemon Sorbet – Caffe Gelato
- Pineapple Bites – Dominick's Finer Foods
- Red/Green Grapes – Dominick's Finer Foods
- Seedless Watermelon – Dominick's Finer Foods
- Strawberry Crepe – Flip Crepes
- Strawberry Fruit Bar – Churro Factory
- Taste of Nutella Crepe – Flip Crepes
- Watermelon Lemonade – Wishbone
A panel of top Chicago-area physicians with expertise in diet and nutrition collaboratively judged each item to assure that nutritional values were met. The panel included Fredrik Tolin, M.D., vice president for Humana of Illinois; Amy Hess-Fischl, M.S. R.D, advanced practice dietitian and program coordinator at University of Chicago’s Kovler Diabetes Center; Brent Smith, D.O., chief medical officer at Edward Hospital; and Katherine Tynus, M.D., clinical associate professor of medicine at Northwestern University.
“We are thrilled that so many restaurants are joining our efforts to offer healthier foods, allowing us to provide a record number of Humana Healthier Choices this year,” said Dr. Tolin. “The Well-Being Tour has several free wellness tools that we hope festival visitors will take advantage of.”
Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide Provides Ticket to Healthy Activities
The Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide will provide Taste-goers with a host of well-being offerings. After picking up a passport, people can collect stamps by participating in wellness activities at the Well-Being Tour or sampling any Humana Healthier Choices food item. Taste-goers can complete six stamps and drop off their passport with Humana to be entered to win fun prizes. Prize drawings will take place on July 14 beginning at 3:30 p.m. (Please review the Humana Healthier Choices Passport Guide for official rules).
Humana Well-Being Tour Makes a Stop at Taste of Chicago
To provide people with a fresh perspective on healthy living, the Humana Well-Being Tour, presented by HumanaVitality®, will be at the Taste on July 10-13, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m., located on Congress Parkway.
The tour features include an interactive Xbox Kinect station where guests can play the “Your Shape” game; four biometric screening stations that provide personalized metrics and health experts to describe the results; and, a hydration station, equipped with a person-powered bicycle, that displays information on the importance of staying hydrated and provides a cup of water as a reward for pedaling.
Taste-goers can pick up a free pedometer, compliments of the Humana Walkit program, to help count their steps. Taste-goers can complete an activity to earn a stamp in the Healthier Choices Passport Guide.
Dick Biondi Boomer Bash Invites Boomers and Seniors to Boogie
Legendary disc jockey Dick Biondi will be making an appearance on July 14, for Taste-goers who are ready to put on their dancing shoes. The Biondi Boomer Bash, presented by Humana, will feature a sock-hop with the legendary Dick Biondi from 2 to 4 p.m., where guests can dance to music from the ‘50s and ‘60s, hoola hoop and play other fun games.
Now in its sixth consecutive year sponsoring Taste of Chicago, Humana remains dedicated to providing Taste-goers with healthy options. All of Humana’s offerings can be found on the Taste of Chicago map in the “Humana Experience” area.
Humana Inc., headquartered in Louisville, Ky., is a leading health care company that offers a wide range of insurance products and health and wellness services that incorporate an integrated approach to lifelong well-being. By leveraging the strengths of its core businesses, Humana believes it can better explore opportunities for existing and emerging adjacencies in health care that can further enhance wellness opportunities for the millions of people across the nation with whom the company has relationships.
More information regarding Humana is available to investors via the Investor Relations page of the company’s web site at www.humana.com, including copies of:
- Annual reports to stockholders;
- Securities and Exchange Commission filings;
- Most recent investor conference presentations;
- Quarterly earnings news releases;
- Replays of most recent earnings release conference calls;
- Calendar of events (including upcoming earnings conference call dates and times, as well as planned interaction with research analysts and institutional investors);
- Corporate Governance information.
Humana Corporate Communications
Lindsey Minella, 312-441-5549
KEYWORDS: United States North America Illinois Kentucky