Facebook Investors Aren't the Only Ones Whose Votes Don't Matter

Don't let it get away!

Keep track of the stocks that matter to you.

Help yourself with the Fool's FREE and easy new watchlist service today.

It looks as if Facebook (Nasdaq: FB  ) investors aren't the only ones whose votes fall on deaf ears.

You've probably heard by now that Mark Zuckerberg rules the social networker with an iron fist thanks to his supervoting Class B shares. With them, he wields nearly 56% of all voting power, and combined the holders of Class B shares control roughly 96% of all voting power.

They're not alone, as Facebookers themselves don't get much say, either, even though Facebook has a policy where major changes are put up to a vote among Facebook users. The company recently introduced some major changes to its Statement of Rights and Responsibilities, or SRR, and its data use policy, allowing users to vote for or against them.

The changes include everything from how Facebook uses your personal data to target ads and sponsored stories at you to what happens to your information if you delete and deactivate your account.

If enough users voted against the changes, they wouldn't be implemented. However, there was a minimum requirement that at least 30% of all active registered users participate for the results to be binding. Considering Facebook's 901 million monthly active users, or MAUs, worldwide, that comes out to about 270 million votes required for it to stick; otherwise the results simply become "advisory."

Well, the results are in, and an overwhelming majority of voters preferred the status quo -- 87%, to be precise. The remaining 13% approved the new amended policy. The bad news? Fewer than 350,000 people cared enough to vote at all, or 0.038% of the total MAU base. That's about 29.962% short of the 30% bar that needed to be cleared.

Facebook can't honestly expect 30% participation in a vote that's loaded to the brim with legalese. The whole vote is clearly an elaborate way to save face and imbue users with a false sense of empowerment, as if they can influence the outcome. Google (Nasdaq: GOOG  ) has gotten its fair share of privacy-policy gripes, but at least it doesn't delude you into thinking you can do anything about it.

Facebook users may as well join investors in the gloomy corner of helplessness when it comes to influencing the social juggernaut's ways.

Forget Facebook: There's another social-media play that's much more promising. It boasts a reliable business model and is set to disrupt a booming industry with juicy profits with its social approach. Grab yourself a copy of this free report to read more.

Fool contributor Evan Niu holds no position in any company mentioned. Check out his holdings and a short bio. The Fool owns shares of Google and Facebook. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Google. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy. We Fools don't all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (3)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 1908191, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/23/2016 11:58:59 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 2 days ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,145.71 -16.64 -0.09%
S&P 500 2,141.16 -0.18 -0.01%
NASD 5,257.40 15.57 0.30%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/21/2016 4:00 PM
FB $132.07 Up +2.07 +1.59%
Facebook CAPS Rating: ***
GOOGL $824.06 Up +2.43 +0.30%
Alphabet (A shares… CAPS Rating: *****