Is Apple's iPhone 5c Really a Bust?

Although it's early in the product's life, it appears Apple's (NASDAQ: AAPL  ) iPhone 5c has already been labeled a dud after only four weeks of actually being on the market. The judgement seems fair -- at first glance.

Last week a flurry of seemingly credible rumors surfaced alleging that Apple had already started reducing its production plans for the lower-end iPhone 5c, due to tepid demand from consumers.

Sadly, these rumors only helped to bolster the criticisms around Apple's latest smartphone experiment. Weaker-than-expected sales are rarely a positive for any product. However, it also stands to reason that four weeks could simply be too small a sample size to truly understand Apple's iPhone 5c.

In fact, a mounting body of evidence is showing the iPhone 5c has been persistently closing its sales gap with the higher-end 5s over the last several weeks. And even beyond that, the real opportunity for Apple's iPhone 5c should lie in emerging markets. In the video below, Fool contributor Andrew Tonner defends Apple's iPhone 5c.

What matters most for Apple?
As the updated iPhone proved yet again, Apple has a history of cranking out revolutionary products... and then creatively destroying them with something better. Read about the future of Apple in the free report, "Apple Will Destroy Its Greatest Product." Can Apple really disrupt its own iPhones and iPads? Find out by clicking here.

• Report this Comment On October 24, 2013, at 1:33 AM, Nohjnogias wrote:

I upgraded from an iPhone 4 to a 5c, and I'm very pleased with it. I get Siri, the panoramic camera, and much greater speed. I'm happy as hell and plan to keep the phone for at least two years. Would I love to have the finger scan? Sure, but it's not a deal breaker for me.

• Report this Comment On October 24, 2013, at 5:31 AM, fauxscot wrote:

The general rule for any Apple development is this:

The Press (and amateur blogosphere) shall interpret any development or action on the part of Apple as negative, as early as possible after any development or action on the part of Apple, and shall not, in any way, rectify or punish those people and organizations that misinterpret, under/over-emphasize potential impacts of certain actions or developments, and shall in all such matters, seek to maximize their clicks.

From my personal Office of Stating The Obvious, I declare as follows:

If the critics were correct (more than a statistically insignificant random occasional hit), said critics would be rich beyond our wildest dreams. None are. Ergo, bullsht.

I think (and appreciate) that you are wise to counsel a brief period where results are allowed to accumulate so that we can make a decision regarding the wisdom/folly of a decision that takes time. One does not rule on the crop the day after planting, as it were. We need some process time here.

Thanks for your article.

• Report this Comment On October 24, 2013, at 7:38 AM, jdmeck wrote:

It's far from a dud. It's what the younger set will be craving for the holidays. It's the only phone at the moment I would ever buy my kids.

• Report this Comment On October 24, 2013, at 8:40 AM, Blah1211 wrote:

Yes, I can see that Apple is going to lose their shirt on this one...

• Report this Comment On October 24, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Mommabruno wrote:

I love my 5C, people should try it. It's cute and way more durable than the other Iphones, I have dropped 3 times....no cracks!

DocumentId: 2695424, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 7/22/2014 6:18:01 AM