3 Is the Magic Number for Microsoft

With Microsoft (NASDAQ: MSFT  ) looking to close its proposed acquisition of Nokia's devices and services business early next year, the pair have secured three seals of approval this week. The Department of Justice and Federal Trade Commission have cleared the deal in the U.S., while across the pond the European Commission has also signed off. Nokia shareholders already approved the deal last month, so this exchange continues to inch toward consummation.

Microsoft also sold $8 billion worth of debt this week, likely in part to raise funds for this purchase. The company said it plans to put the proceeds toward general corporate purposes, acquisitions, and repayment of existing debt. Microsoft has $2 billion worth of debt coming due next summer, so it is effectively refinancing some of its paper at lower rates.

In this segment of Tech Teardown, Erin Kennedy discusses Microsoft's mobile future with Evan Niu, CFA, our tech and telecom bureau chief.

Want to get in on the mobile phenomenon?
Truth be told, one company sits at the crossroads of smartphone technology as we know it. It's not your typical household name, either. In fact, you've probably never even heard of it! But it stands to reap massive profits NO MATTER WHO ultimately wins the smartphone war. To find out what it is, click here to access The Motley Fool's latest free report: "One Stock You Must Buy Before the iPhone-Android War Escalates Any Further..."


Read/Post Comments (5) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On December 07, 2013, at 7:23 PM, GameBot wrote:

    keep in mind MSFT has a massive cash hoard and just borrows money because they get the money cheaper than dirt.

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 2:57 AM, badgerzilla wrote:

    "looking to close its proposed acquisition of Nokia's devices and services business" -- Nokia does not provide any services. My Japanese girlfriend use to tell me that all Chinese people are... I forget the rest. It was stupid.

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 3:06 AM, badgerzilla wrote:

    A Chinese friend of mine is curing his mothers cancer with Oolong tea.

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 3:11 AM, badgerzilla wrote:

    A Chinese friend of mine said that ancient knowledge is the most correct knowledge but I told him that I disagree because I know that the world is round!

  • Report this Comment On December 08, 2013, at 3:21 AM, badgerzilla wrote:

    EYE DOCTOR to guy: "You have a cataract."

    GUY: "No, I drive a Rincoln Continental."

Add your comment.

DocumentId: 2755774, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/16/2014 9:59:14 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...


Advertisement