Watch stocks you care about
The single, easiest way to keep track of all the stocks that matter...
Your own personalized stock watchlist!
It's a 100% FREE Motley Fool service...
- Chart of the Week: Top 200 rated jobs of 2013
- Video of the Week: Order "Seamless" at your trading desk? Check out their secret restaurant
- CNNMoney: 36 coolest gadgets of 2013
- Fast Company: 10 major products that flopped in 2013
- Business Insider: Goldman Sachs answers your top 10 financial questions for 2014
- Inc.: 10 business events you can count on in 2014
- Quartz: Amazon.com's best selling holiday products this year
- The Atlantic: The economics of "reindeer farming"
Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL ) got some Christmas love on news that the world's largest wireless phone network, China Mobile, will begin carrying the iPhone. Facebook joined a new club mid-holiday and is now listed on the S&P 500 stock market index of the 500 largest publicly traded companies in America.
2. ... And stock market losers
General Motors (NYSE: GM ) got some coal-worthy news that it will have to recall nearly 1.5 million Buick and Chevrolet cars because of faulty fuel pump brackets made in China.
Econ data continues to be on Santa's "good list." Consumer spending jumped 0.5% in November for its fastest monthly gain since June. Orders for big-ticket and long-lasting items (also known as durable goods) rose an expectation-beating 3.5% last month, while home prices gained 0.5% in October, reaching its strongest rate of growth since 2008.
What MarketSnacks is checking out this week:
- Monday: Pending home sales
- Tuesday: Consumer confidence survey
- Wednesday: All markets CLOSED for New Year's Day
- Thursday: ISM Manufacturing Index
- Friday: Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke speaks