Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



3-D Design Software Company Dassault Systemes to Acquire Accelrys for $750 Million

In its second significant acquisition in just the past couple of months, France-based Dassault Systemes (NASDAQOTH: DASTY  ) has signed a definitive agreement to acquire San Diego-based Accelrys (NASDAQ: ACCL  ) in an all-cash deal for $12.50 a share , a 28% premium over Jan. 30's close of $9.72 a share, Dassault announced today. The total value of the deal is approximately $750 million.

Dassault will use the purchase to gain access to Accelrys' software for managing scientific data.

Accelrys' solutions are utilized to integrate science into early stage planning, development, and manufacturing processes. According to Dassault's statement, the 3-D solutions provider intends to use Accelrys' suite of products across its "life sciences, consumer packaged goods, high tech and energy, as well as advanced manufacturing industries."

Dassault Systemes CEO Bernard Charles commented in a statement, "The World demands a new paradigm for sustainability where chemistry, materials and biology meet. This is what the virtual universes enabled by Dassault Systemes are delivering, capable of harmonizing products, nature and life, from imagination to industry solution experience."

The transaction is expected to close in the second quarter of 2014, assuming Accelrys shareholders approve the deal, and standard regulatory and customary closing conditions are met. Dassault will issue a tender offer to all Accelrys shareholders in the next few days, according to Dassault's statement.

In early Dec. of last year, Dassault inked a $204.6 million deal to acquire an 84% ownership stake in 3-D software and computer imagery provider Realtime Technology (RTT). The RTT transaction closed Jan. 14. Dassault intends to make a formal offer for the remaining 16% of RTT soon, according to its statement.

-- Material from The Associated Press was used in this report.


Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (2)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2817272, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 8/29/2015 2:24:15 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Tim Brugger

Tim has been writing professionally for several years after spending 18 years (Whew! Was it that long?)in both the retail and institutional side of the financial services industry. Tim resides in Portland, Oregon with his three children and the family dog.

Today's Market

updated 5 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 16,643.01 -11.76 -0.07%
S&P 500 1,988.87 1.21 0.06%
NASD 4,828.33 15.62 0.32%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

12/31/1969 7:00 PM
ACCL $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Accelrys, Inc. CAPS Rating: No stars
DASTY $69.27 Down -0.57 -0.82%
Dassault Systemes… CAPS Rating: *****