"Outstanding Shares" vs. "Float"

What's the difference between a company's outstanding shares and its "float"? Well, all the shares a company has issued are its "shares outstanding." Company insiders may hold some of the shares, while the public owns the rest. Insider shares are usually held for a long time and are not traded too often, while shares in public hands trade more frequently. The shares owned by the public represent the "float."

Imagine Holy Karaoke, Inc. (ticker: HYMNS), which has 50 million shares outstanding. If the CEO and other insiders own 40% of them, then the float is the remaining 60%, or 30 million shares.

It's good to pay attention to this number when you're looking at smaller companies, since stocks with small floats (referred to as "thinly traded") can be extra volatile. Any demand will send the stock price soaring, since supply is so limited, and vice versa.

Learn more about float (and some other things) in this Bill Mann article. And in this Rich Duprey article on Google's (Nasdaq: GOOG  ) float.

To learn more about investing Foolishly, visit our Fool's School and our Investing Basics area. Or check out some of our inexpensive and well-regarded online how-to guides, which feature money-back guarantees. You can also learn all about brokerages and find one that's right for you in our Broker Center.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (6)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 491876, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/23/2016 2:21:29 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 1 day ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,145.71 -16.64 -0.09%
S&P 500 2,141.16 -0.18 -0.01%
NASD 5,257.40 15.57 0.30%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/21/2016 4:00 PM
GOOGL $824.06 Up +2.43 +0.30%
Alphabet (A shares… CAPS Rating: *****