THE MOTLEY FOOL CONTRIBUTOR NETWORK
CONTRIBUTOR TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Thank you for your interest in The Motley Fool Contributor Network (the “Network”), a platform that allows the best minds in business and investing to share their most compelling ideas. While anyone who agrees to the Fool’s Rules can post, there are some additional terms and conditions (the “Terms”) you need to be aware of if you want to be a compensated contributor.
These Terms supplement the Fool’s Rules, which are incorporated by reference. In the event of a conflict between these Terms and the Fool’s Rules, the former will control.
Subject to these Terms, The Motley Fool will pay you for your postings that we syndicate. The Motley Fool has no obligation to syndicate any post, and can remove any post at any time at our discretion. Additionally, we, alone in our sole discretion, will determine rate of compensation.
2. Requirements to be a Eligible Contributor
In order to be eligible to receive payment, you need to complete our Contributor Form and maintain an account with our third party processor (more information will be provided when your first post has been syndicated) You also agree to be bound by The Motley Fool’s Trading Rules, incorporated here by reference.
If you are providing content for the Network, you agree to write under your real name, so no anonymous posters or writing under pseudonyms allowed. You further agree to disclose the following in connection with each post submitted for compensation (the “Submissions”):
- Any position or interest (long, short, or otherwise) you have in a security mentioned in a Submission including without limitation any warrants and options (in all their permutations). If you do not hold any position in any company or equity mentioned, please state that as well.
- Any affiliations that you or anyone with whom you are affiliated with, has with any individual or entity discussed in a Submission and the specific nature of the affiliation. For purposes of this Agreement, an “affiliation” is defined as being an officer, director, employee, or having a material business or other relationship with an officer, director, employee, or their immediate families. If, for example, you are John Mackey’s sister-in-law, you should disclose that before you write about Whole Foods, where he is the CEO.
- Any monetary benefit or other consideration, whether direct or indirect, (and the specific nature and amount thereof) you or anyone with whom you are affiliated with, have received or expect to receive by virtue of your posting the Submission from anyone (besides The Motley Fool). This means that if anyone is paying you (or someone affiliated with you) anything of value in exchange for your writing, you need to disclose that.
3. Special Rule for Professional Money Managers and Registered Investment Advisors.
If you professionally manage money or are a Registered Investment Advisor, you must identify yourself as such, and the firm or company you work for. While the above-mentioned trading rules will not apply to any trades made on behalf of your clients, they do apply to your personal trading. In addition, you must include a statement at the end of any Submissions you make that states that your clients may hold interests or positions in any stocks mentioned in your Submission.
By contributing to The Motley Fool Contributor Network you grant The Motley Fool an exclusive, unlimited, irrevocable and worldwide license to store, display, reproduce, distribute, transmit and use your posts, summaries or other content. You therefore agree that other than your own personal blog (if you have one), The Motley Fool will be the exclusive publisher of your content and you will not re-post the entry in any other forum or media.
5. Representation and Warranties
You agree that all posts are subject to the Fool’s Rules, but there are a few points we think are especially important for Syndicated posts. By posting a Submission on the Network, you represent and warrant that:
- The Submission is original, not previously published elsewhere and not previously assigned, licensed or otherwise encumbered.
- You have not knowingly or recklessly violated any securities laws, rules or regulations; or infringed upon the copyright or other intellectual property rights, or any other rights of any nature of any third party.
- The Submission does not contain any false, materially inaccurate or misleading information
- You are under no contractual or fiduciary obligation not to disclose the information contained in your Submission.
- You are not impersonating any person or otherwise falsely implying or misrepresenting your affiliation with a person or entity.
In addition to the Fool’s Rules on conduct, you agree not to engage in, or permit or encourage any third parties to engage in any of the following:
- Giving personalized investment advice via the Network;
- Generating automated, fraudulent or otherwise invalid page views, sessions, impressions or other actions;
- Crawling, indexing or in any non-transitory manner storing or caching information obtained from The Motley Fool;
- Plagiarizing or fraudulently creating content;
- Engaging in any action or practice that in our reasonable opinion reflects poorly on the Network and The Motley Fool.
You may discontinue your participation in the Network at any time.
The Motley Fool may at any time, without prior notice and at our sole discretion terminate your participation in our Network for any reason including without limitation a material breach by you of any provision or warranty of any of our terms and conditions. Except in the case of fraudulent or illegal conduct, if we terminate your membership, we will pay you within 30 days of the date of termination any money you have earned prior to termination. We will not compensate you in any way for any future interactions between The Motley Fool and you, under any name you may give, and including any organizations you may control. The Motley Fool reserves the right to continue to display, communicate to the public, distribute, syndicate, reuse and make derivative works using content provided prior to termination.
You agree to indemnify, defend and hold The Motley Fool, its employees, directors, officers, parent and affiliates harmless from any actions, claims, proceedings, liabilities and/or costs (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of your breach (or alleged breach) of this Agreement.
8. Everything Else
The section headings used in this Agreement are intended for convenience only and will not be deemed to affect in any manner the meaning or intent of the Terms or any provision hereof.
No waiver of any breach hereunder will constitute a waiver of any prior, concurrent or subsequent breach of the same or any other provisions hereof.
These Terms constitute the entire and only agreement between you and The Motley Fool with respect to services you provide the Network. If any provision herein is found invalid or enforceable, the remaining provisions will remain in full force and effect.
Last Updated August 27th, 2013