-- A.R. Ammons, "Cold Rheum"
I feel so cheated. Apple
To refresh your memory, management guidance topped out at about $4.9 billion in revenues and earnings of $0.60 per share. Granted, these estimates have traditionally tended to be on the low side. But delivering $5.26 billion of sales and profits to the tune of $0.87 per diluted share -- well, either the CFO is a pessimist in the Cassandra mold, or these guys are sandbagging as best they can.
The paranoid conspiracy theorist in me can come up with a pretty good motivation for that tactic: distraction. It's the perfect time to present something bright and shiny, previously hidden behind Steve Jobs' back, to take the attention off Apple's options issues.
I mean, this headline made me laugh today: "Apple Board Members Defend Jobs Over Options Grants." And the immediate question in my mind was: Was it Steve Jobs they were defending, or their own cushy board seats and the accompanying stock grants?
Let's face it -- if Jobs is forced out, Apple is dead. The charismatic leader is the obvious driving force behind a company that has languished whenever he wasn't there in the past, and insider reports tell of a culture not conducive to fostering a line of capable lieutenants, heirs apparent, or even decent stewards of the corporation for the years A.S. (After Steve).
Not that the board members need go begging for food stamps or anything. Just the Compensation and Nominating committees here include luminaries like former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, J. Crew
I think it's mostly a matter of professional pride. That's a swell hobnobbing playground with serious monetary perks, and if you have to defend a possible wrongdoer to keep the ship from sinking, well, where's my bailing bucket, boys? Oh, and here's an easily surpassed earnings target for the presses ...
- Before the Call: Apple Ripens
- Foolish Forecast: Glimmering Apple
- Quick Take: Taking Bullets for Jobs
- Partners in Foolanthropy: A Chat With David Campbell of All Hands and Hearts
- Progress Software Corporation (PRGS) Q4 2017 Earnings Conference Call Transcript
- Rule Breaker Mailbag: How Many Stocks Can I Hold Before My Portfolio Starts Behaving Like an Index Fund?
- Rule Breakers Presents: The Foolish Women's Holiday Gift-Giving Panel
- 5 Board Games David Gardner Would Put Under the Tree This Year