Updated June 12th, 2018
Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months rivals competing Swiss Army knife-style credit cards that attempt to match many cardholders needs in one, including unlimited 1.5% cash back. These are a few reasons why we rank it as one of the best cash-back credit cards. So let’s dive deeper and see whether Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months is a good fit for you.
- $150 sign-up bonus
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back
- No foreign transaction fee
- 0% intro APR
- No bonus cash-back
|Bonus Offer||$150 Cash Back after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening|
Intro: 0% intro on purchases for 15 months
Reg: 14.49% - 24.49% (Variable)
|Balance Transfer APR||
Intro: 0% intro on balance transfers for 15 months
Reg: 14.49% - 24.49% (Variable)
- One-time $150 cash bonus after you spend $500 on purchases within 3 months from account opening
- Earn unlimited 1.5% cash back on every purchase, every day
- No rotating categories or sign-ups needed to earn cash rewards; plus, cash back won't expire for the life of the account and there's no limit to how much you can earn
- 0% intro APR on purchases for 15 months; 14.49%-24.49% variable APR after that
- 0% intro APR on balance transfers for 15 months; 14.49%-24.49% variable APR after that; 3% fee on the amounts transferred within the first 15 months
- Pay no annual fee or foreign transaction fees
What we like about Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months
- $150 sign-up bonus - Qualifying cardholders earn a sign-up bonus of $150 after spending $500 on purchases within three months of account opening.
- Unlimited 1.5% cash back – Managing rewards for some credit cards can be burdensome, with having to optimize a wallet packed with cards for specific purchases or having to opt in to rotating bonus categories quarterly. That’s not the case with this card, which offers unlimited cash back on all purchases.
- Easy cash-back redemption – Rewards don’t expire, and redemptions can be redeemed for any amount at any time. Simply open the app or go online to request a check or a statement credit.
- No foreign transaction fee – Foreign transaction fees can quickly add up when whipping out credit cards for purchases abroad. Besides, we’re all a bit looser with our budgets while on vacation. Fortunately, the card nixes the typical 3% foreign transaction fee many card issuers charge. That’s a savings of $60 on $2,000 worth of international spending!
- 0% intro APR for 15 months – The card could be a good solution for indebted cardholders wanting to pay down debt faster people looking to defray the upfront costs for a large purchase. The card includes a 0% intro APR for 15 months for both purchases and balance transfers. A standard 3% fee is charged for each transfer within the first 15 months.
What could be improved
- Bonus cash back – Some competing cards offer bonus cash back worth 2% to 5% in niche categories. Cardholders spending heavily in such niche categories may harvest more rewards than earning 1.5% back on all purchases.
How to best use
- Cash-back and rewards cardholders will generally be better off paying balances by the due date each month to avoid interest charges. It’s a losing strategy to rack up debt for the sake of earning rewards at single-digit rates only to watch as they get eaten up by far higher double-digit interest charges.
- Consider using another bonus-category card in tandem with this card to improve overall cash-back rewards. More overall rewards can be earned using a bonus cash-back card for bonus-category purchases along with a 1.5% yielding cad-back card for all other needs. Review our picks for the best cash-back credit cards for some cards offering bonus cash back.
Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months vs. Capital One® Venture® Rewards: Which Is better?Cardholders seeking travel rewards instead of cash back, and those who spend more than $19,000 on credit cards annually, might be better off with Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card, which offers travel redemptions equivalent to a 2% yield, as well as a bigger new cardholder bonus. Qualifying requires cardholders spend $3,000 within three months to earn 50,000 miles -- worth $500 when redeemed for travel, or $250 cash back.
Number crunchers following along might ask “Why $19,000?” That’s the spending threshold where the $95 annual fee (waived the first year) for Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card is offset when looking at the different rewards rates of both cards.
The math follows as such: $95 ÷ (0.02 – 0.015) = $19,000.
If you spend less than that amount, or don’t need rewards for travel redemptions, you may be better off with Capital One® Quicksilver® Cash Rewards Credit Card. Of course, there are other factors to consider, so read our full Capital One® Venture® Rewards Credit Card review to learn more and uncover why we picked it as one of the best travel credit cards.
How to earn up to 3% cash backCapital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months falls short in bonus cash-back categories, whereas Bank of America® Cash Rewards offers more rewards in other spending categories. Bank of America® Cash Rewards earns 3% bonus cash back for gas and 2% for groceries and warehouse clubs (both on the first $2,500 of combined bonus spending quarterly), plus 1% on all other purchases. Bank of America® Cash Rewards also includes a $0 annual fee and a lucrative $150 cash rewards bonus after spending $500 in the first 90 days, on top of giving existing Bank of America banking Preferred Rewards members up to 75% bonus rewards. This is one example of a two-card combination where rewards can be increased by using a bonus cash-back card in bonus categories and Capital One® Quicksilver® Card - 0% Intro APR for 15 Months for all other purchases, plus two sign-up bonuses. See our full Bank of America® Cash Rewards review to uncover why we think it’s one of the best credit cards of 2017.