Harry Potter may be the savior of the wizarding world dreamed up by J. K Rowling, but he also serves as a helpful boost to stocks here in the Muggle world.
Want to cash in on the success of the Harry Potter franchise, or perhaps use the series' blockbusters successes to make back the money you spent on all the books, move tickets, DVDs, Jelly Belly's Bernie Bots Every Flavored Beans, a ticket to Universal Orlando's Harry Potter theme park, action figures, Harry Potter Scene It, a Harry Potter watch with wands for hands...
While the "Harry Potter Index" is "more of a tongue-in-cheek version of a stock index," the industries connected with Harry Potter have been generating billions in sales. The final installment of the films is only a week away and the Harry Potter Index will likely reap in the benefits, if only for a little while. After all, "portfolios and financial terms that are tied to celebrities tend to have a short shelf life, depending on how long the buzz lasts."
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows Part 1 "earned global box office revenues of close to $950 million, with 31% coming from the U.S. box office and the remaining 69% coming from the international box office." That alone accounted for much of Time Warner's annual box office revenues, according to The Street.
Part 2 is to be released in 3-D, and with ticket prices at a premium, Time Warner expects to reap in even more benefits. "[We] estimate that box office operations single-handedly generate 12% of Time Warner's stock value," says The Street
Yet Warner Brothers Time Warner is not the only beneficiary of J. K. Rowling. Investors and Potterheads, take note. Below we list 10 of several stocks on the Harry Potter Index and how they expect to make some extra Galleons off of the "Boy Who Lived." (Click here to access free, interactive tools to analyze these ideas.)
List sorted in alphabetical order.
2. Electronic Arts
4. General Electric Co.
6. Johnson & Johnson
10. Time Warner
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the stocks mentioned above. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Kapitall's Becca Lipman does not own any of the shares mentioned above.
The Motley Fool owns shares of Johnson & Johnson, Fossil, and Coca-Cola. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Coca-Cola, Amazon.com, Hasbro, Johnson & Johnson, and Fossil. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended creating a diagonal call position in Johnson & Johnson. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended shorting Hasbro.
Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.