Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) is no stranger to winning things, especially when it comes to awards for its vehicles. Ford's popular mid-size sedan, the Fusion, has taken home U.S. News & World Report's "Best Mid-Size Car" multiple years and Kelley Blue Book's "Best Redesigned Vehicle" in 2013, among many other victories. Heck, even Ford's 1.0-liter EcoBoost engine was named the International Engine of the Year for an unprecedented third consecutive year -- not bad, considering Ford has historically been known for producing gas guzzling SUVs and trucks.
So it should come as no surprise that Ford's best-selling vehicle is cleaning up in the awards department, and that's great news for investors and truck enthusiasts alike.
The list is ridiculous, and I won't take offense if you don't read every single award, pinky swear.
- 2015 North American Truck/Utility of the Year
- 2015 Motor Trend Truck Trend Pickup Truck of the Year
- Automobile Journalists Association of Canada Utility Vehicle of the Year
- Automobile Journalists Association of Canada Pickup Truck of the Year
- Detroit News 2015 Vehicle of the Year
- Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Truck
- Kelley Blue Book Best Buy Overall
- Popular Science Automotive Grand Award Winner Best of What's New
- 2015 MotorWeek Best Pickup Truck
- Texas Auto Writers Association Truck of Texas
- Texas Auto Writers Association Luxury Pickup Truck
- Texas Auto Writers Association Full-Size Pickup Truck
- Texas Auto Writers Association Best Technology Feature
- Detroit Free Press Truck of the Year
- New England Motor Press Association Yankee Cup
- Automotive Fleet Magazine 2014 Fleet Truck of the Year
- Motor Press Guild 2014 Innovation Vehicle of the Year Over $30K
- AutoGuide 2015 Reader's Choice Truck of the Year
- New Car Test Drive 2015 Truck of the Year
- Ruedas ESPN Best Full-Size Pickup Truck
- 2015 Detroit News Reader's Choice NAIAS Awards Most Innovative
- Automotive Science Group
- 2015 Best All-Around Performance Award Winner
- Best Full-Size Truck of 2015
- Smallest Carbon Footprint
- Urban Wheel Award for Urban Truck of the Year
- Green Car Technology Award
- Edmunds.com 2015 Most Popular Awards – Large Truck category
- Detroit Free Press Automotive Leadership Award – Engineering and Technology category
- Greater Atlanta Automobile Media Association Best Pickup/SUV
It seems pretty clear that critics think highly of the truck, but Ford's use of aluminum body panels had some questioning its "Ford Tough" slogan. Those worries may have been put to bed last week when the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration awarded the 2015 F-150 SuperCrew with its five-star overall vehicle score, the highest possible rating. That's an improvement over Ford's 2014 crash score, and removes a marketing advantage General Motors had when its full-size Silverado and Sierra scored five-stars.
"To anybody that was skeptical, I don't need to say anything else," said Doug Scott, Ford's truck group marketing manager, according to Automotive News. "The results speak for themselves."
With the critics showering awards on the 2015 F-150 and its fresh five-star safety rating, investors can breathe a sigh of relief. The F-150 is Ford's best-selling vehicle in the U.S., and is the company's most profitable product. In a way, Ford's full-size truck is even America's most popular luxury vehicle, as more F-150s are sold with a price tag of more than $50,000 than any other vehicle in the U.S. market. http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2014/12/11/ford-f-150-is-america-best-selling-50000-vehicle/
Success of the F-150 was critical for Ford to keep the lights on; look at how the slower rollout, as plants producing the truck have yet to reach full production rates, impacts 2015 pre-tax profits.
Fortunately for Ford investors, it appears the only thing the F-150 will be hauling in the near-future is a truckload of profits. Cheers.