4 Bank Account Bonuses You Can Get Without a Big Deposit
by Lyle Daly | Updated July 17, 2021 - First published on Feb. 25, 2021
Looking for bank account bonuses that don't call for a pile of cash? None of these require more than $1,500 in deposits.
It's hard to find much wrong with bank account bonuses. They're basically free money you get when you open a bank account and meet the bonus requirements. The one part that can be frustrating is finding bonuses that don't require you to deposit several thousand dollars.
Quite a few bank account bonuses have big deposit requirements, but not all of them. Below, you'll find five offers you can get right now -- even if you don't have much money saved.
1. $200 HSBC Bank bonus
- Open an HSBC Advance Checking Account online through the bonus offer page by March 31, 2021.
- Receive recurring qualifying monthly direct deposits totaling $500 for three consecutive calendar months (starting from the second full calendar month after account opening).
- Get a $200 bonus within eight weeks of completing the requirements.
The has a $25 monthly maintenance fee, but that's waived if you receive monthly recurring direct deposits. Other ways to avoid the fee are to maintain combined balances of at least $5,000 in HSBC U.S. banking and investment accounts or to have an HSBC U.S. residential mortgage loan.
You're not eligible for this bonus offer if you've held any HSBC bank or investment account between Jan. 7, 2018 and Jan. 7, 2021.
2. $100 Bank of America bonus
- Open a Bank of America Advantage Banking account online through the bonus offer page by June 30, 2021.
- Receive two qualifying direct deposits of $250 or more within 90 days of account opening.
- Get a $100 bonus within 60 days of completing the requirements.
Bank of America offers the same $100 bonus on all three of its Advantage Banking accounts.
If you want to avoid monthly banking fees, the Bank of America Advantage Plus Banking® is the best choice. The standard monthly maintenance fee is $12, but it's waived each statement cycle you have a qualifying direct deposit of at least $250 or maintain a minimum daily balance of $1,500 or more. You'll need to make a $100 minimum opening deposit for this account.
You're ineligible for this offer if you've been the owner or co-owner of a Bank of America personal checking account within the last 12 months.
3. $150 TD Bank bonus
- Open a TD Convenience CheckingSM account online through the bonus offer page by March 31, 2021.
- Receive $500 in qualifying direct deposits within 60 days of account opening.
- Get a $150 bonus within 140 days of account opening.
This TD Bank bonus is available to residents of most states on the East Coast. It's easy to avoid the checking account's $15 monthly maintenance fee, as it gets waived if you have a minimum daily balance of $100. It's also waived for students and young adults from ages 17 to 23.
To be eligible for the offer, you must be a new customer who has not had a TD Bank checking account within the previous 12 months.
4. $150 Huntington National Bank bonus
- Open a Huntington National Bank Asterisk-Free Checking® account online through the bonus offer page by April 7, 2021.
- Deposit $1,000 in new funds within 60 days of account opening and keep the account open for 90 days.
- Get a $150 bonus within 14 days of completing the requirements.
This is another regional bonus offer. You can get it if you live in one of the following states: Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, or West Virginia. There's no monthly maintenance fee for this checking account.
To qualify for the bonus, you must be a new account holder who hasn't closed a Huntington checking account within the last six months.
Any of these bonuses can get you extra money without a lot of savings or work on your part. Just make sure you know what you need to do to avoid monthly account fees.
You should also review the terms and conditions for any bonus you get. Most banks retain the option to take back the bonus if you close your account too soon after you receive a bonus. But you won't have to worry about that if you follow the terms of the bonus offer.
These savings accounts are FDIC insured and could earn you up to 19x your bank
Many people are missing out on guaranteed returns as their money languishes in a big bank savings account earning next to no interest. Our picks of the best online savings accounts can earn you more than 19x the national average savings account rate. Click here to uncover the best-in-class picks that landed a spot on our shortlist of the best savings accounts for 2022.
About the Author
We're firm believers in the Golden Rule, which is why editorial opinions are ours alone and have not been previously reviewed, approved, or endorsed by included advertisers. The Ascent does not cover all offers on the market. Editorial content from The Ascent is separate from The Motley Fool editorial content and is created by a different analyst team.