Mickey Mouse Robs Spidey

Marvel Entertainment (NYSE: MVL  ) , by far my largest holding, and now a 14-bagger for David Gardner's side of the Motley Fool Stock Advisor scorecard, is about to retire. Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) is buying the comic book king for $4 billion in cash and stock.

Oh, what a steal this deal is.

Those who've followed my Marvel coverage for a while know that I love its industry-leading returns on capital, massive free cash flows, and rich partnership deals with the likes of Sony (NYSE: SNE  ) , Hasbro (NYSE: HAS  ) , and News Corp.'s (NYSE: NWS  ) Fox Studios.

Foolish colleague Rick Munarriz and I recently dueled over which of these two stocks is more enticing. My take was, and still is, that Marvel's massive licensing machine -- the fourth largest in the world, according to License Global magazine -- has room to grow at half of Disney's royalty rate. That's why this deal makes so much sense. With Marvel, Disney is buying no-brainer licensing growth.

And it's doing so on the cheap. Disney gets Marvel for just north of 20 times earnings. That sounds expensive, I know. Here's why it isn't: Long before Iron Man was a box-office blockbuster, Marvel was boosting operating income by 28% a year.

Yes, you read that right: 28% a year, without a contribution from Marvel Studios.

I'm going to make a lot of money today, and I'm happy about that. But as it so often happens with the very best businesses, this one is being taken out too soon, at too cheap a price.

What do you think about Disney's acquisition of Marvel? Who got the better deal? Let me know by leaving a comment below.

Marvel, Hasbro, and Disney are Stock Advisor selections. Disney is also an Inside Value pick. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers had stock and options positions in Marvel at the time of publication. Check out Tim's portfolio holdings and Foolish writings, or connect with him on Twitter as @milehighfool. The Motley Fool owns shares of Hasbro and is also on Twitter as @TheMotleyFool. The Fool's disclosure policy hopes you make some big money today, too.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 11:24 AM, queeqay wrote:

I agree...I just don't feel like celebrating. Sure Marvel was big business, but they were big business unto themselves. They had a great product (hell, they have hundreds of great "products") and they leverage that well, always growing, despite some bumps and mistakes along the way. Now I feel like they are just being gobbled up into a larger corporate machine--one that has a spotty record with creative properties (after 1990)---that may pollute the genius character that Marvel has built for itself. My question--sell now or tamp down my aversion and stick it out?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 11:34 AM, JonCroke wrote:

Wow. Can this be stopped? I feel like this is an absolute theft by Disney. Marvel's value will exceed the offer price on its own, and not too far in time from now. And if I had wanted to own Disney shares, I would have. I don't.

This is a bad idea!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 11:40 AM, mahayse wrote:

I am so frustrated. I've been in and out of MVL since the mid 1990s and made some good money ... holding and adding for most of this decade. Never complain when you take money off the table, right?

MVL has been my core holding, and now it's gone. I would rather keep picking fruit from this tree every season than chop it down and sell it off once and for all.

Disney is stealing MVL, and that hurts us all.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 11:43 AM, mahayse wrote:

One more thing ... MVL's new in-house financing deal made this stock the sweetest of all. When MVL was in the driver's seat, why hand over the wheel and sell the car to someone else?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:01 PM, GrumbleBear wrote:

It seems much too cheap.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:06 PM, OldtschoolMarvel wrote:

This is like disgusting in many levels........

Disney has always been in their entire existence to buy out the competition or aquire it and then ruin the foundations it was based on. Although it may be a "sweet deal" to everyone who has stock Marvel will forever be a Disney product and I will not buy anything from Marvel again. 4 Billion is "chump change" to Disney, Marvel will "lose" out again in making more money on their own!!!!!!

I think this is a "bad" idea for Marvel to "sell out" to Disney I mean the reason Marvel is doing well is because of us "kids" who are now in to their 40's and 50's who still appreciate the characters we grew up with and totally support all of the merchandise involved with Marvel heroes.

This has been a shock to me and I will lose all respect if Marvel sells to the Mouse.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:13 PM, louiswilliams wrote:

This stings a little. I used MVL as a core recommendation to begin building my portfolio as I am a newbie to investing on my own....It sucks because Marvel was a business that I UNDERSTOOD. As a beginner, I am now a bit insecure about where to go now. Do I hold until the sale is final and end up with few shares of DIS stock and some cash...or do I sell my position in MVL with a modest gain ( got in too late for multi-bagger returns most fools got! ) and use the money to increase one of my other positions...I don't know right now..

The same kind of thing happened to me when AXSYS got bought by General Dynamics...I endind up selling my 1K position for a very small positive return..and buying a position in Waste Management.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:16 PM, rijoker wrote:

Wow, Disney is getting a great deal on this one. I am sad to hear about this and MVL has so much growth to be had. I was looking forward to all the growth in the stock, but Marvels loss, well definately be DIS gain as this is a huge bargain for DIS.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:17 PM, sddingman wrote:

I bought in at ~$4/share....this deal will go through (both boards approved, no shareholders will stop it you can bet on that) and MVL will be history. Not too sound pessimistic, but I feel that will be the case. That being said, I do not want disney stock, I do not support disney, this was an easy decision for me.

$ell MVL today...so long spidey and gang, another era ends.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:24 PM, plange01 wrote:

how does disney look for a buy now that its acquiring marvel?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:26 PM, jacquaviva wrote:

If you don't want MVL to sell out vote your shares to not vote for the acquisition. All that will happen with a Disney buyout is corporate downsizing at MVL and they will lose their unique identity to the Mouse Corporate Farm.

I think MVL has its own niche and will do well on on its own, as it has been. Don't do it.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:37 PM, Dezertenergy wrote:

Geeeze!!! It's like selling-out to the establishment! Now Elric will never get made! I feel so much older today... being a comic book aficiando and now a stock holder, the desire now to take glee walking into a comic book store and the desire to go the cinima to see Marvel character releases has been stunted today. I realise it's a stock "no-no" but I can't seem to help myself feel emotional about some of this, most of this!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:47 PM, masterN17 wrote:

"I'm going to make a lot of money today. While I should be happy, I just don't feel like celebrating."

Agree with this sentiment completely. Is it possible to stop this somehow? Is it possible to get shareholders to veto such a deal? I never see activist shareholders these days so I thought that stuff is legend. Regardless, if I see the ballot in the mail I will definitely be voting no.

- N

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:50 PM, flowmotion wrote:

As MVL sharholder I'm very happy. I don't really have mixed feelings, sure the stock would have eventually crossed the $50 barrier but when? Maybe when the market wouldn't have been cheap anymore? Now I can reinvest my cash in a cheap market.

I have been thinking about buying some Dreamworks (DWA), maybe they are the next to be snapped up by one of the industry gigants?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 12:52 PM, TMFBreakerForce wrote:

This is a real bummer! I had hoped Marvel would be a core holding for many many more years for me. Heck, many believe that Marvel could have become/grown into the next Disney over the next 10-20 years, not get acquired by Disney! argh.

Matt

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 1:30 PM, Windsurfing1 wrote:

It sure feels sort of sad. Gosh, I never felt sad about a 25% daily gain! I must be getting old. But truth is, I saw MVL far above 100 in years to come. I will own a little DIS, but wich much less excitement.

Wind

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 1:47 PM, HighlyPaidYouth wrote:

Does anyone know how the $30 plus DIS share distribution would be considered for capital gains tax?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 1:50 PM, HighlyPaidYouth wrote:

It seems like Disney must have sent some really kick-ass fruit baskets to all the Marvel board members.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:03 PM, bobdagolfer wrote:

I too (like HighlyPaidYouth) would like to know how the capital gains tax would be handled.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:18 PM, rtfontenot wrote:

I think the merger is a good fit but I already have enough Disney so I sold my MVL. I just don't need anymore DIS. I'll take the money and run ... all the way to the bank.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:20 PM, 42theflush wrote:

One of my investing mistakes I have been trying to correct is becoming emotional about my stocks. My immediate reaction to this news was much the same as alot of the posts here. However, since reading much more of the news of this, one of the things that gives me some confidence that this may not be a bad thing is Disney's Iger acknowledging Marvel's creative team and their understanding of the characters and story lines and saying they will not "upset the apple cart". That is a must!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:22 PM, 42theflush wrote:

Actually, I should have said THE must!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:22 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

Disney is going to do to Marvel what they did to Miley Cyrus.

Wolverine is going to sing.

Mickey Mouse is going to be the leader of the mutants.

The Incredible Hulk will recite poetry.

Jonas Brothers will become superheroes.

Today is a sad day for Marvel.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:36 PM, catoismymotor wrote:

If they leave them alone like they have with The Muppets and Pixar then the world will continue to spin harmoniously. If they start to tinker with things they will have a legion of fanboys aiming for them.

I am not a shareholder in MVL, but if I were I would not be happy about this news. It takes a nimble multibagger and makes it into a large cap slowpoke.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:38 PM, cclarke1 wrote:

I had been thinking about buying MVL at around $35, thinking it would go to $50, but I didn't.

If I didn't mind owning DIS stock and I bought MVL right now, would the deal still apply to me when it goes through, as a shareholder?

I currently only own stock through my 401k, but have been thinking about buying some additional stock that wasn't part of those funds.

Obviously, I wouldn't come out with much profit in the long run- app. $62 from 50 shares of MVL translating to 37 shares of DIS (plus the $30 per share). But then I'd just own DIS at a slightly discounted rate.

I do think that DIS will maintain MVL's integrity in comics and that they're really just interested in the TV and movie component of MVL. I don't think they'll change the comics.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 2:47 PM, FoolishJeffery wrote:

I just went to MVL ownership to get an impression of whether this might get voted down, considering many smaller investors may feel like those of us at the Fool, sorry to see one of their most promising stocks swiped away. Or, I wondered, could it be voted down forcing DIS to at least improve the offer.

According to etrade, only 6.7% of MVL shares are non-institutional. And, Perlmutter, Isaac (CEO) has a full 25.24% of shares outstanding. Assuming that he is already on-board, it looks like there is no stopping this deal.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 3:05 PM, Cressida wrote:

About the "cart", it's too late; the apples are all over the street. Of course DIS will have the "applesauce" (i.e.cooked/sieved/apples), But the "seeds" (read great team, creativity, the intelligence that created amazing growth) got crushed too.

Sad to see Spidey become Shrecked.

Cressida

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 3:34 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

I bet everyone on here $100 that Disney will create spin-offs of the entire Marvel franchise in terms of "before they were superheroes". They will have them as kids so that kids can relate to them. They will have Wolverine and all the X-Men going to grade school with each other which is dumb because Wolverine is older than all the X-Men. I am still mad over this. Someone should buy Disney like MSFT or GOOG.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 4:23 PM, Broken196 wrote:

DWA will never be bought out. Frankly I think the only decent thing they have produced in a very long time was Kung Fu Panda.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 4:58 PM, renosnave wrote:

I've owned Marvel since December 2008 (29.93)... so this looks like a good time to get out. I've been nervous about the half-baked Spider-Man Broadway musical and don't know how the relationship with Disney will work... I'd like to suggest that folks read the book Disney War bu James Stewart. It's a riveting account of the company right before and during and right after Michael Eisner's reign. It's incredibly interesting!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:17 PM, FOOLBEFREE wrote:

I sadly sold my MVL stock today.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:21 PM, mmargolies wrote:

Too late regarding the kids versions X-Men are already kids as well as a number of other cartoons from Marvel on Disney DX channel. This all make me sad, I have had a working relationship with Disney and Pixar in the past. I can see where they do many things right and have many smart people working for them. But then the accountants and lawyers and MBA's who know little to nothing about publishing, design, animation, music, catalog direct marketing, retail, or theme parks start to run things and ruin everything. Disney is no longer the Happiest Place on Earth. And low on the places I think to go for vacation or to rent a movie. I hope Pixar and Marvel can hold out for a long time perhaps rolling back out one day.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:25 PM, motleymarty wrote:

To mahayse: I, too, could have gotten in <$4/sh. I'm trying NOT to be emotional [about "losing" $ I hever "had"]. But, please be reminded there are plenty of trees bearing fruit in this market.

To cclarke1: Your idea will not work, period. Forget DIS or MVL. The train has left the station, you can no longer board.

Remember, there are many trees bearing fruit. The time to have gotten in was when the mkt bottomed March/April. Still deals out there.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:28 PM, PovertyAdverse wrote:

I just heard a radio add for "IronMan: On Ice" - starring Brian Boitano. Man those Disney people work fast.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:30 PM, motleymarty wrote:

To cclarke1

These Stocks Are Gifts That'll Keep On Giving

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:30 PM, ajschloss wrote:

My goal as an investor is to make money. As a long term investor, Pixar did well for me and Disney has done well for me too (got them from the sale of Pixar). I just made 25% on one stock. That is a very good day for me. The rest is just emotional commentary.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 5:44 PM, Archipeligo wrote:

I hope my comic books aren't sanitized.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:00 PM, BridgeTech wrote:

So, what's the best optin here? Sell my MVL shares? If I had wanted to own DIS, I would. MVL was one of my core holdings. Do we wait to see what happens with this news:

"Law Offices of Howard G. Smith announces that it is investigating potential claims against the board of directors of Marvel Entertainment, Inc. ("Marvel" or the "Company") (NYSE:MVL) related to the Company's agreement to be acquired by The Walt Disney Company, in a stock and cash transaction valued at approximately $4 billion.

The investigation concerns possible breaches of fiduciary duty and other violations of state law related to approval of the transaction by the Marvel board of directors."

The only possible good that can come of this is maybe a better offer from DIS....which in my opinion just can't happen! There is no better offer! No offer is enough.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:01 PM, papaegan wrote:

Corporate vs creative....bottom line is Disney's now 'the boss' I would think. What happens if Marvel goes over $50.00?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:05 PM, DownEscalator wrote:

I honestly don't understand the "great future" and obsession concerning Marvel stock.

Marvel is at the absolute height of what it can be. Given the spate of things that actually matter (water, energy, food, industrial products), there's a hard, finite limit as to piece of the pie an entertainment company can have. Marvel's slice of that small pie is based on characters that are 40+ years old and, if you haven't noticed, they aren't producing any new ones that seem to have staying power. Geekdom really can't get much bigger than it is now, nor can superhero-based summer blockbusters.

The entertainment industry is HIGHLY cyclical and unstable, and betting on whatever is "on top," save for the generic conquer-all of "kids movies," is a losing proposition every single time. It doesn't matter the genre or level of production, whatever turns the highest profits one day will be dormant in 5 years. It's happened to crime, to westerns, to historical romances, and to goofy comedies. It'll happen to the superhero movies to, which, if you haven't noticed, have driven much of Marvel's recent revenues.

Marvel is trading 20x earnings right now. If you're a Marvel shareholder, you should jump up and down with glee at Disney's relative stupidity (an add-on to Disney's history of dumb expansion moves).

In 5-10 years, people will view this as dumb move, just like they view most character/studio acquisitions of the past.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:07 PM, buildakicker wrote:

I think whatever you do, you made a good choice buying MVL if you did a while back. It's been a great money maker. If you sold MVL as of today you would make money if the deal went through. So don't sell right? If DIS stock drops below $25 a share, you will break even or even loose a little. How much are your commisions? Bottom line... Stock Advisor is in it for the long haul, and that is what I like about it. $100 hear $100 there... it's nothing compared to $10,000 in a few years. I'm waiting for the final report from David and Tom, but until then, I am holding.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:21 PM, machattan wrote:

who knew more about smoke-and-miroors than old Uncle Walt?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:36 PM, AmazingSpiderMan wrote:

As a longtime Marvel fan and MVL owner, I agree with Tim completely. The most stinging part is that I recently closed a couple of options I owned that would have jumped much higher than the 25% the stock did. I planned on writing a couple of more in the next month or so. Bad timing there.

Not sure what to do yet with the stock. I'd considered buying some DIS on occasion, but this wasn't how I wanted it.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:37 PM, Rioliaden wrote:

I bought oodles of Marvel many years ago (OODLES!!!) at $3.48. Sold some, bought more, split, bought more, sold some, split, bought more, sold some. I haven't bought or sold any for quite some time now, so it will break my heart that I won't be buying MVL but DIS. My DIS has always been a dog, especially since 9/11, so I don't hold great hopes for how they will murder my favorite stock. But I'll just have to wait and see, 'cause I'm still too young to retire!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:37 PM, BridgeTech wrote:

@buildakicker I'm up 75% on my orginal investment.

Of couse, now wishing I had bought more! Was contemplating purchasing more stock last Friday..(now kicking my self in the @ss) decided to wait until today...so I'm not losing anything...just haven't been doing the investing thing long enough to know exatly what to do in this sort of situation..

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:44 PM, stevenadkins wrote:

I would remind fellow Fools that when you buy stock in a company you are not buying the company, just a piece of paper. That piece of paper has a value based on what another thinks it is worth and willing to pay. Companies will make business decisions regarding sales and aquisitions that are considered to be in their best interest. Hopefully this alligns with shareholder interest. Reading the above posts it seems to me that many of the posters are far too emotionally involved with a single stock. I have owned DIS for years and MVL for months and am pleased about the deal. I invest to grow my overall net worth. If I am too "invested" in a single stock, either financially or emotionally. I am not well diversified and at greater risk. This is a good deal.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 6:48 PM, BridgeTech wrote:

stevenadkins...but...is the best deal to sell MVL where it is today or wait for the DIS deal? I'm not emotionally attached to this company..just my money! :}

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 7:16 PM, CoastalTrader wrote:

I sold mine today. Who wants to wait 3-6 months for dead money?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 7:22 PM, TMFMoby wrote:

FYI Stock Advisor members: David G and team put up a special update for what the Disney bid means to Marvel shareholders, and what actions to take now:

Jeremy

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 7:47 PM, mnaddeo wrote:

What happens to all the attractions at Universal Studios in Orlando that feature Marvel characters?

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 7:53 PM, KANUBABOB wrote:

Woe is me. My favorite tycoon has sold the farm ... again. Stan Lee really knows how to play wit fantasies. Marvel had so much room to grow. I bought Disney as a value stock and Marvel for growth. Only consolation is that Stan Lee will be matched with Steve Jobs. Can these two be a team? Hmm I don't know, both are very independent. It's boom or bust. I'm buying Disney on a dip or back to Marvel if the deal falls though. And I'm renewing my membership in Motley Fool Stock Advisor

Kanuba Bob

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 8:04 PM, stmmmd99 wrote:

I think it's a good deal. I'm trying to decide whether or not to cash out now. The thing is, I have a gut feeling this whole superhero thing is getting super saturated and will peter out in 5 years.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 9:52 PM, haggie101 wrote:

So trying to figure out this deal and seeing mixed views. i'm thinking of cashing out my MVL stock before this deal goes through to get the gain. Not real confident in the DIS side of the deal.

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 10:24 PM, WizardofMe wrote:

I just added Marvel to my watch list to pick up upon my next investment opportunity. Needless to say that won't be happening. It would be nice if Disney treats this pick-up the way they treated Pixar; adding their name to a stellar company mainly because they aren't getting it done anymore. If you can't beat em, buy em!

• Report this Comment On August 31, 2009, at 11:38 PM, nkappl wrote:

I guess my Marvel Comics collection from the 1980's will be known as "Pre-Disney Buy Out Issues." Just like Fender guitars that were made prior to 1966 are known as "Pre-CBS buy out". I guess the guitars were much better when Leo Fender was involved (I wouldn't know I can't afford a vintage Fender), just as the comics were better when Stan Lee was involved. We used to say "Make mine Marvel" to distinguish amongst the other comic choices. Now there sold out to the man.

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2009, at 12:05 AM, bigdaddymurph wrote:

Personally, I bought MVL in my Roth three times over the past five years at about $15, 20, 25, each time later wishing I'd bought more. I was looking forward to many more years of buying and growing, so I was disappointed at first, like many here. I am glad I read the comments--especially the ones about being too emotionally attached. I went down this road with Pixar in my wife's IRA, so I'm twice bitten by the Mouse, but we will hold our DIS. We have four boys and a fifth on the way, so I see a LOT of Disney/Pixar/Marvel DVDs in our future, plus hours and hours of ESPN on the TV. Back to the drawing board for a nimble grower--VLCM anyone?

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2009, at 12:54 AM, Seutz wrote:

I'm certainly bittersweet on all of this. Why? Well I used to own Marvel stock years ago. That's right, when the stock was first issued.It was a great stock, and a big winner for me, that is, until Ron Perelman nearly destroyed the company. I had to sell the burnt and charred remains of a once healthy stock/company. I didn't buy back into Marvel until about a year ago.

I'm happy for other investors to make money, but I feel like I was already there at the "real" ground floor and came away with very little.

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2009, at 1:31 AM, mizzensheet wrote:

this seems to me a very good eulogy for a wonderful little company turned larger, that made all of us a nice return on what ever we individually invested. Marvelous Marvel rest in peace!

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2009, at 4:18 AM, mattgutting wrote:

I'm glad everyone feels the same as me. My broker woke me up this morning, I couldn't believe that mvl was being sold. Disgusted!!

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2009, at 12:59 PM, DrummerZoid wrote:

So like many fellow Fools here, I'm disappointed because MVL has been one of the stars in my portfolio, had plenty of room to continue to grow, and I still helped the company out by buying their comic books to read with the kids. I owned Pixar and Disney both, and had to settle for Pixar being acquired, and now at the same place again?!?!? Drives me nuts, but that's the marketplace.

Will this be the end of MVL? I doubt it. The number of writers and artistic talent will continue to produce good stories, not always great, but entertaining none the less. That talent continues to produce story ideas with 40 year old characters, that continue to bring both new and old kids back to the comic book fold. Will I stop buying comic books just because the company is now owned by Disney? Not unless the stories turn to cr@p, and I can't see that happening. Just like with Pixar, it's ALWAYS been about The Story first, not just new cell-shade or rendering technique.

Now if only Pixar can work with Marvel properties, think of the animation genius that the two working together could produce one summer...

• Report this Comment On September 01, 2009, at 9:19 PM, FOOLTOCROSS wrote:

My goal as an investor is also to make money, however MVL has pissed on itself. Dumb move.

• Report this Comment On September 02, 2009, at 7:09 PM, usernamenottaken wrote:

Big news in the Stan Lee Media investor lawsuit against Marvel. Major players Chadbourne and Parke and NY superlawyer Michael Hess are now attorneys of record for plaintiff. A new amended complaint will be filed very soon. Disney and Marvel investors, perhaps you need to pay attention. Ask your companies for full disclosure. Do you know that a federal judge in L.A. ruled earlier this year that Stan and insiders of POW! illegally transferred The Accuser and The Drifter to POW! while Stan Lee Media was in bankruptcy? There is a great deal you don't know about this case. Reading all of Marvel's 13Ds would be interesting reading.

• Report this Comment On September 03, 2009, at 1:41 AM, RPGAFan wrote:

This has shades of The Hasbro Purchase of Wizards of the Coast. They bought it while Wizards was riding high on profits from the Pokemon craze, and paid a price that was high if you assumed that the growth of Pokemon was long term. in reality pokemon had peaked and was in decline, then Hasbro had some drops in their mainstream sales, and started downsizing wizards of the Coast to try to shore up that part of their balance sheets.

• Report this Comment On September 03, 2009, at 5:01 PM, RTFM2009 wrote:

What is this Law Suit they are talking about?

against MVL by share holder regarding alleged breaches of fiduciary duty and other violations of state law in connection with an alleged unfair takeover.

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2009, at 2:34 PM, robinson67 wrote:

MVL may be handing over the wheel at the right time. The movies for its big franchises have just about run their course. How many more Spiderman and X-Men movies are there to be made? Ghostrider was a flop and Capt. America is a non-starter and there's probably only going to be a couple more Fantastic 4's made. With the end of the movies will come the end of the licensing dollars. I don't see any more big stars on the horizon.

It seems to me MVL picked a good time to hang up the cape (even if its most successful properties never wore one). The company still has some value for the next few years, so it still could fetch a good price, but its long-term prospects just don't seem that great to me. Now Disney can run it into the ground, take the blame and Stan Lee can maintain his shining immortality.

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2009, at 3:34 PM, tachor wrote:

As my 14 year-old stepdaughter so succinctly put it when I showed her the news story, "NOOOooooooooo!"

• Report this Comment On September 04, 2009, at 8:09 PM, hawaiisurferdude wrote:

Other than having to lose your Marvel stock, I don't know what everyone is so worried about. If anyone SHOULD buy Marvel, it's Disney. There's no greater branding and licensing machine out there. I'm reading comments from the doomsayers, but which property did Disney buy that they have run into the ground? Pixar? Miramax? If I remember correctly, both companies achieved their greatest successes with Disney on board, either as a partner or the captain. Right on, Bob Iger. You ROCK!!

• Report this Comment On September 06, 2009, at 10:40 AM, compufixer wrote:

The comments suggesting MVL shareholders vote against the takeover. Nice theory. In fact, however, the law allows the board themselves to vote any shares that the stockholders fail , for whatever reason, to vote. To that I will add Delaware business law: many, many corporations are incorporated in Delaware and therefore Delaware judges make the nuts and bolts rulings about relations between stockholders and the Board of Directors. I will summarize my understanding (admittedly not comprehensive) about Delaware law:

The board decides, the shareholders can shut up. If you don't like it, sell the stock. Because we (the board, backed by the Delaware judges) do pretty much what we please with this company.

• Report this Comment On September 07, 2009, at 7:41 PM, glassgirl3 wrote:

I think 4 billion is way underpriced. I, too, am saddened that MVL is being bought up & ravaged by Disney. I guess all we'll have left is our memories, collectibles and whatever -- now that big corporations will own everything in this greedy world. Disney What the hell can they improve on? Try improving on the prices u charge for sodas or ice cream ($10 for a mickey mouse ice cream) in Disneyworld!! RIPOFF World!

• Report this Comment On December 28, 2011, at 2:33 AM, hjh909 wrote:

Personally I love both Marvel Comics and Walt Disney productions, but Marvel actually accepting the deal is preposterous because 1. the marvel image will be perverted and changed into something that was never originally intended to be. 2. Disney will ultimately have the bigger gain in the sense that not only will they gain a larger fan base with marvel comic fans but will make up the proposed 4 billion in the movies that people just go to watch. 3. Yes Disney does really make great films and attract people from all over the world but Marvel has to will continue to for years to come, as mentioned in the the article above Marvel comics still has more than 5000 characters yet to be in movies and to be presented to the wider known public.