Why You Shouldn't Listen to Jim Cramer

"Whatever money you may need for the next five years, please take it out of the stock market right now, this week. I do not believe that you should risk those assets in the stock market right now."
-- Jim Cramer, Oct. 6, 2008, S&P 500 at 1,056.89

More than one year ago and thanks in no small part to the statement above, I concluded that Jim Cramer was a menace.

It only took a few months for the rest of the nation to catch on. Jon Stewart finally jumped on the bandwagon last March, exposing the man for what I think he really is: an entertaining (if not irritating) media personality, but certainly not the champion of the individual shareholder that he often claims to be.

In fact, I consider him to be the closest thing to a walking, talking hazard for the individual investor there is. Now Jon Stewart may have the jokes, but I have the real reasons why Cramer is precisely that and why you should take a pass on any investment advice he tries to give you.

Thank you, Jon Stewart!
I continue to fully applaud Cramer's stated goal -- help people make money by investing in the stock market. But Cramer's outburst last year was a mistake -- plain and simple. And, as Mr. Stewart so kindly illustrated, it wasn't his first time.

You see, when someone issues panic-inducing market calls, as Cramer does from time to time -- and urges investors to avoid long-term strategies to buy and hold good companies -- the average investor simply gets crushed.

Cramer's Today show plea was, indeed, grounded in a sound reality -- Fools should never have money they need during the next five years in the market. But by advising people to indiscriminately sell, he helps contribute to exactly the thing that he's trying to avoid: having investors lose money.

Chances are, when the market was taking a chainsaw to some of our more closely held assumptions about the U.S. financial system, most viewers were so petrified that even a very small push was likely to persuade investors to join the terrified herds pulling their money out of the market. And pull they did.

Between October and the end of November 2008, investors pulled out a whopping $140 billion from U.S. equity funds. Based on what these funds were holding, they were indirectly pulling out of mutual fund mainstays like Oracle (Nasdaq: ORCL  ) , Motorola (NYSE: MOT  ) , Research In Motion (Nasdaq: RIMM  ) , Wal-Mart (NYSE: WMT  ) , and PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP  ) -- many of which had already been hammered.

With the market now priced a bit above last year's "call," what the heck has Cramer done for you? Not a thing, really. Perhaps he saved you money in the collapse that occurred in the ensuing months. But to complete the circle, he would have had to tell these people precisely when to get back in. Where was he on March 6, when we reached the low? He was nowhere to be seen on national television.

Those people who were convinced they had to run for the hills realized substantial losses at discounted prices and just missed out on one of the biggest market rallies ever -- one that nobody saw coming. No matter how good his first call was, that's 50% he won't be able to give you back. And therefore, it was a huge mistake.

Instead of holding onto the steady blue-chip stocks that have historically provided investors with some of the strongest long-term returns, many investors were just progressively selling at historic lows ... thereby ignoring the sound and sage advice from names like Buffett, Lynch, Graham, Munger, and Bogle.

You don't need a weatherman ...
I'll admit that Cramer is entertaining, but no one can consistently forecast the direction of the market as he pretends to be able to do. I repeat: No one can consistently forecast the direction of the market. That is the point.

It moves completely randomly and unpredictably over the short term -- and therefore trying to make a "call" on the market won't consistently work out for you. Pick a direction -- up or down -- and you have a 50% chance of being right, even though the prediction is rather meaningless.

It's like Punxsutawney Phil. The furry little critter climbs out of his hole and either sees his shadow or he doesn't. Whichever it is, the result has nothing to do with whether winter is over -- just as a stock market prediction has nothing to do with the market's movements.

The scary part is that Cramer flip-flopped numerous times in 2008 trying to call the bottom at various points throughout the year. While CNBC may gloss over this fact, I've taken careful notice. Don't forget about his theory that 2008 would be the year of natural gas. Ouch.

The talking heads on TV get paid to put on a song-and-dance show and attract viewers. It's entertainment, folks. Your education or your personal success, as Jon Stewart as kindly brought to light, is a secondary priority -- or not a consideration at all. Following the advice of those who say they can predict the markets is likely to cost you thousands, if not more.

Why?
In the real world, there are commission costs, taxes, and opportunity costs -- all of which have a tremendous impact on the returns that you're likely to experience.

Every time you pull the trigger in your account, think about your broker and the taxman doing a little touchdown dance. Much of their income is predicated on your transacting as much as possible.

Take a hint from someone who knows a lot about the hidden costs of investing: John Bogle, the founder of Vanguard Investments. He writes: "No matter how efficient or inefficient markets may be, the returns earned by investors as a group must fall short of the market returns by precisely the amount of the aggregate costs they incur. It is the central fact of investing."

Think about that the next time you hear "Buy, Buy, Buy" or "Sell, Sell, Sell."

And for those who listened to Cramer on his "prescient" market call to sell, don't forget that he probably didn't bang on the table loudly enough to get you back in on the 50% rally we've just had. Hopefully, you got yourself back in.

The Foolish bottom line
If you want to make money in the stock market, you need to tune out the panic -- or the euphoria. You need to remember that no one has any idea where the market is going in the near or medium term. You need to buy shares of great, built-to-last businesses. You need to hold for the long term. And you need to keep as much money as you can from the tax man or your broker.

That's what we do at Motley Fool Stock Advisor, and it's paying off. Take two of our best stocks, Dolby Labs (NYSE: DLB  ) and Priceline.com (Nasdaq: PCLN  ) . We recommended buying shares of these stocks several years ago. Both have thrashed the market by incredible margins. I bet we'll continue to hold these two for a long time to come.

What was the cost of doing all this? Probably $24 in broker fees and $0 in taxes. That's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. In fact, our whole scorecard is beating the S&P 500 by 51 percentage points.

As for Cramer ... he has an uncanny knowledge of tickers, prices, and strange catchphrases. But what he sorely lacks -- and what you must never forget in your investing days -- is temperament. It was Warren Buffett who once said that "the most important quality for an investor is temperament, not intellect."

Want to see what else we've recommended and what we're recommending now? Click here to get a free, 30-day trial to Stock Advisor -- there's no obligation to subscribe.

Nick Kapur owns shares of Pepsi and Dolby Labs. Dolby and Priceline.com are Motley Fool Stock Advisor selections. Wal-Mart is an Inside Value pick. PepsiCo is an Income Investor selection. The Motley Fool owns shares of Oracle and has written puts on Oracle. The Motley Fool's disclosure policy would never suggest it could predict or time the market.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 8:34 AM, Fool wrote:

OH yeah how about all YOUR picks of stocks poised to pop.....good luck....

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 9:08 AM, Tacomatight wrote:

I'm talking to whoever keeps putting this on the site. Stop! My God man, have you not got it through your thick skull that this article has been voted off the island. I would rather see your bs advertisements about stocks I should have bought 50 years ago. Fool is acting like a fool. This article actually makes me angry, and has pushed me away from resubscribing to your news letter. This will not help your site repair it's image of how it(The Founders included) was completely out-to-lunch during the crash. Infact, this just reminds us of how Cramer was right to pull money out of the market and not sit buy and dogmatically hum buy and hold as fortunes were washed away. Then turn garbage into sewage by not seeing that this spring was the greatest generational time to buy. Which as has been stated several times in replies on this article, that Cramer was shouting buy in March. If an individual investor had listened to Cramer they would have preserved their capital then nearly doubled it today from the spring lows. Stop embarrasing yourself and this site by "publishing" this moronic piece of prattle.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 9:29 AM, NOTvuffett wrote:

Nick has a man crush on Jon Stewart, lol.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 9:37 AM, tkell31 wrote:

If you guys are virtually printing money because your picks are so good why not release the information for free? Instead you choose to go the infommercial route. Makes me wonder if the picks are really that good.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 10:15 AM, SandyRN wrote:

I preserved a lot of capital listening to Jim Cramer. I lost huge amounts of money in AIB and other MDP, HG, and SA picks. I raised a lot of cash to use in 2009 which really helped rebuild my portfolio more than if I had held everything. If I had not listened to Cramer, I would have tanked a lot more than I did and would not have rebuilt as quickly. Many of my HG, MDP, and SA picks are still in the red big time even if they have made good moves this past year. The Fool ignored all the signs and told us to buy in the midst of all that was happening in 2008. And shame on me, I followed their advice even though my gut was telling me the timing was off. No service or analyst is right all the time. The Fools are not perfect. Cramer is not perfect. During 2008, I lost big time with MDP, HG, and SA but I only lost a little bit with Cramer by selling SBUX and MAPX which both came back big time. I will continue to listen to Cramer a little and study with the Fools a lot.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 10:27 AM, Tacomatight wrote:

hey sandyRN,

What you thinking about AIB at 3 and change?

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 10:28 AM, ringostar33 wrote:

I agree, enough with this article. These kind of publishings makes me wonder whether I really made the right decision investing along with MDP. I know Fool's dont usually have any class but this is too much, too frequently.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 10:42 AM, tomijama wrote:

Well i am subscriber of the newsletter but i buy picked two "red hot stock must have now" in August and they crashed by 15% in next week or so...:))) One of them was Liquidity Services and second one i do not remember. So i am not investing according to newsletter any more. And actually on TheStreet.com i took recommendation on Novavax which went up by 50%....it crashed aftewards but i made my 50%:). Thats quick benchmark and i think everybody makes mind anyway regardless of any articles etc.There is add that Tom.. "50% over S&P500 since 2002", well if you would invest to just anything in 2002 it would probably made you 150% or so....

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 10:50 AM, tomijama wrote:

When i see on Zacks or Fool "aggresive buy or stocks to pop" i just do nothing as those stocks usually go down very quickly :) Its just funny.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 12:34 PM, Shaara wrote:

Cramer introduces new stocks and gives me a broad sweep of what's happening in the market. I like that. Sometimes Cramer even provides useful information about what's happening BEHIND the scenes. I also enjoy his interviews with company CEO's.

Actually, upon reflection, I get a lot more useful information from Cramer (or his e-mails) than I do from you. You used to be a valuable source, but now you're just ads. Sigh.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 12:41 PM, Shaara wrote:

Cramer gives considerable viable input. One must ignore his tirades, of course, which are merely staged for showmanship. After all, his public is not that of Lou's, where intellectual conversation and discussion reigned. Sigh.

However, much of what Cramer provides -- the behind the scenes news and the CEO interviews -- are useful to stock buyers.As Cramer constantly reminds his viewers, after watching a program, one must go do the RESEARCH.

All in all, I find his shows and e-mails to be much more helpful than your e-mails, which are usually no more than ads.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 12:56 PM, DEInc wrote:

I am so tired of seeing this article I still have never seen a don't listen to fool.com article at the street.com. I feel it is because they spend a lot more time researching their own ideas instead of bashing others. The fool was once a great site. It's a shame you should spend more time researching your own picks instead of Cramers. If you actually make good picks then people will listen. Your picks have not performed and you highlight the only 2 that have made any money. While you were bashing banks I was buying BAC in March at 3 and 4 dollars. I'm so glad I listened to the fool. Stop the hating

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 12:57 PM, oldnewsman wrote:

I posted this reply to another Motley Fool "intellectual" writer in an article entitled "Three Words For Cramer" . I repost it here because it seems apropos, just as it was in the first article:

I have had a subscription to Motley Fool in the past, and I have a subscription to Cramer's The Street.com right now. When the renewal for The Street.com comes due in January, I will renew it. Yours lapsed several years ago. Nuff said.

I have learned more from Cramer about investing in two years than I ever did from Motley fool.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 1:22 PM, nontechie wrote:

Do you recycle this article twice a month?

Cramer was absolutely right to tell people to get out when he did and he also told them when to get back in. People who listened to him both times made a lot of money: They got out at S&P 1059 and got back in near S&P 667. "Better than a sharp stick in the eye" as Cramer says.

I'm not a slavish Cramer-phile and find some of the "booyah" fanboys who call in exceedingly annoying (so much so, I rarely watch his show all the way through these days). But either you give him the credit he is due--including the prescience of his famous 2007 rant--or you are in denial of reality and not worth listening to. That is apparently the case with Nick Kapur.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 2:42 PM, phillips49 wrote:

Personal vilification by a professional is unprofessional. Shame on you!

In this case it is also in error.

Cramer was right. The recommendation he made was contrary to his normal, bullish, optimistic nature and against his own investment interests. That takes courage. His recommendation was totally inline with prudent risk management. He said take out what you need. He didn't say take everything out.

Many investors were fully invested in their retirement and college funds. Anyone approaching retirement, in retirement, paying tution or facing an uncertain employment scenario would certainly need cash. On Oct 6th the S&P stood at 996. It would continue to fall an additional 33% and would not have recovered to that level again until Aug 19 2009, 10 months later. In Oct last year, the credit markets sized, the press was full of the '29 crash, doom and gloom. Employment dropping like a rock. Institutional investors were de-leveraging and liquidating. The VIX was at an all time high. The future very uncertain. Cramer was right, the risks versus the potential rewards were to great.

He who fights and runs away gets to fight another day. Falling in love with your thesis will get you killed in the market.

I was stopped out of the market on the 6th. The stops were prudent risk management steps and were placed on the day before.

I had cash to reinvest. I had time reaccess my strategy and develope a concept for risk mitigation. I recovered all of my 2008 losses.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 6:33 PM, MotleyFoolster wrote:

WOW how many times is this crappy website going to be recycling this broken record? When I first started investing, I looked to this website, but I soon realized they were only interested in selling me their overpriced reports. I know look to Cramer, who is honest (something fool.com is not), straightforward (something fool.com is not), and concise (something fool.com definitely is not). fool.com is more interested in slamming Cramer in their pitiful attempts to peddle their overpriced reports. Paid-for-hires like Nick Kapur, who's sole purpose is to pump out valueless articles like this one to push fool.com's reports severely dilute and devalue the now worthless the fool.com brand.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 7:07 PM, ETMatyahoo wrote:

With this topic, I'd just say that you shouldn't mix up the soundness of a Captain with the sea-worthy-ness of a ship. Here, they might have some plan of making the ship better (and the crew might not want to point out the captain issues).

The stock TSCM, in my opinion, seems to have a terrific captain - only I'm not investing in that particular boat...but just for now (needs prosperity like Moody & Morningstar (Heh, and VALU the much respected but not invested in value-line.))

Nested parenthesis "lucky charm" for me!

Fool on!

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 8:37 PM, Fool wrote:

Your article is shameless and in some instances flat out untrue. Cramers energy and enthusiasm has nothing to do w/ his "investing" temperment. At least he's not writing entire articles on how great his advice is while bashing Motley Fools....emphasis on Motley and Fools... such as yourself.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 9:07 PM, oldnewsman wrote:

It's like Motley Fool has all of the answers to investing. Investing is gambling. You win some, you lose some. Cramer wins some and loses some. But I guess Motley Fool wins them all. What a bunch of misguided fools. You shouldn't be writing about others unless you are about 99% perfect, and Motley Fool, you are fooling yourself if you think that that is your percentage of wins.

• Report this Comment On December 20, 2009, at 10:27 PM, LiveLikeWally wrote:

Why do the clowns who write these articles don't mention the fact that Jim had us all in in March of 2009, and we have made out like bandits!

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 12:04 AM, amogharabi wrote:

Amen! Thanks for posting this article. PLEASE keep posting it. This Cramer-shramer guy is such a phony, its not even funny. He is unbelievably annoying. He BS' everything. He is one of those guys that was probably getting beaten up right & left ... and he liked it cause that was the only way he could get attention. Of course, after he started making money, he started working out. So now he is showing his fricking kosher muscles rolling up that shirt and staring into the camera with his ugly fishy eyes. Honestly, I really don't care if he is or has been right or wrong. The guy is just an annoying and freaky looking sham.

And I do have a question for Cramer and all those shysters like him ... If you are so good at timing the mkt or picking stocks, why are you in the entertainment business? Why didn't you stick with your hedge fund? If this like a welfare society where you have to help others make money? Of course, these questions are based on the assumption that this Cramer guy (or his friends and family) is not making $ off of his public and on-TV calls on particular stocks. Then again, with the SEC and that offer sham, Madoff, we all know that these people only do this stuff to help themselves and their own kind.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 12:20 AM, dikrew wrote:

I think the MF should listen to your readers. We are telling you we don't like your recycled articles. Myself, I can't stand Cramer, even though I do watch him once or twice a year for entertainment when I can't find anything else on TV worth watching (like Animal Planet or World's Funniest Movies). DROP THE REPEATS!

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 12:21 AM, amogharabi wrote:

Question for Mr. Cramer - given that you are a genius, could you please tell me why your company's stock is DOWN approx. 32% during the last 12 months, while the Dow, SP500 and Nasdaq are UP 22%, 27% and 43%, respectively? Its trading at cash!!!!!!! Your subs (if not canceling at an alarming rate) and other assets are probably worth more than 2.15/share. The multiples are very attractive! BUT why haven't you and your company's stock performed???????????? Looks like the acquisition of Promotions.com was a bad idea, Mr. Cramer. Actually I thought you were the expert in promoting anything and everything.

Some may not agree, but its a lot easier to just BS on the camera and mkt stocks, than actually manage a company and execute well so that the operating results can push the stock higher. We now know where your talent lies at.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 12:34 AM, nontechie wrote:

For those who ask why Cramer is in "the entertainment business", read "Confessions of a Street Addict" and you'll find out why. The short answer: Running a hedge fund is extreme high pressure work and Cramer made enough money he didn't have to do it any more so he stopped. "The entertainment business" is certainly more fun.

Anybody who blindly takes the advice of any "stock picker" other than themselves is truly a fool and not the "good" kind. So nobody should buy all the stocks Cramer recommends or buy all the ones he pans--and the same goes for the advice in Motley Fool. But both can be sources of good ideas an investor might not have considered on his own.

It's just so demeaning for Motley Fool to seem to have to justify itself by bashing anyone else.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 8:11 AM, pondee619 wrote:

Don't look to these fool pages for anything worthwhile. The true fool "wisdom" comes at an annual cost of $1,500.00. That is the cost of their "sevices". I know, they will tell you you don't need them all. But which to chose? Isn't a balanced portfolio what's needed. Don't you need to keep a proper diversification?

Let's see another re-write of "What would you do with ($1,500.00) a year?" Invested in an S&P Fund you would do alright at the end of your work history. Instead, by subscribing, you'd get years of, what, two picks per subscription per month. How many stocks can a person own and track effectively?

The interesting thing is, this story got 27+/- recs. Send a foolish story to fools.

Read over the past fool stories on these pages. List below what you have learned that's useful and that you didn't know before.

Is Jim Cramer really wrong in telling you not to put five year needed money in the stock market?

The fool is throwing turds at us in the hope we will buy their services. If this is their enticement, how good can there services be?

The fool has got Amuse down pat. They are a little light on Educate and Enrich. But, from the reaction I see, they don't need to be any good.

The fool will continue to recycle crap until the fool community stops buying it. It's up to you. Do you want good, professional investment advice, or investment advice on a re-curring loop? The stories are amusing. But little more.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 8:22 AM, catoismymotor wrote:

I swear when I read the headline just now it read Why You Shouldn't Listen to Jimmy Carter.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 8:30 AM, WayneFromWylie wrote:

Where do I begin ... DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON FOOL.COM. They won't get any money in the future.

Since Buy and Hold is a complete failure over the last ten years, now they start scamming for option plays. Save your money and get a good education elsewhere.

The FOOL is like a wounded animal striking out.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 8:43 AM, afross1013 wrote:

I did listen to Cramer and finished taking money out of the market when he made his call. If i didn't remove my money i would have been wiped out by March. If you follow his ideas you would realize he started mentioning the market uptrend back in the Spring. I believe you're not stating the facts and trying to sell your own service. It's ok to sell your service but don't distort the truth.

To date I have a 23% return on my best performing account. I'm not a pro investor, just a guy who invests for himself. Thanks Jim Cramer.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 10:05 AM, revealedin71 wrote:

Let's keep this simple...We should use Motely the same way we would use Cramer. As a starting point for a lot of homework...Nothing more, nothing less. That being said, Cramer has never criticized MF for their vagueness, their retread of articles, and their overemphasis on super-long term holding (making it hard to really pin down the investment performance). MF,on the other hand, goes after Cramer every chance it gets. What is the financial equivalent of penis envy? Whatever it is, MF has it...

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 10:14 AM, echostar1 wrote:

What is the matter with The Motley Fool? Everytime I see this pathetic article it just screems 'Why you shouldn't listen to The Motley Fool', not only because the article is wrong on many fronts but the fact that its been posted so many times it just reaks of a total lack of originality.

You guys really need to get a clue.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 10:25 AM, echostar1 wrote:

I've made a lot more money listening to Cramer then I have The Motley Fool. At least with Cramer you get clear advise, consistenty methods, insight that can only come from an experienced money manager, and equally important an acknowledgement of prior mistakes.

MF is vague, inconsistent, with no accountability and for the most part written by people that either have a hidden agenda or perhaps less investing sense then the average reader.

Don't take my word for it, run the accuracy comparisons yourself. Any objective assessment will show that Cramer wins by a mile over MF.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 12:40 PM, Fool wrote:

i guess nick you werent paying attention on march 6 th when both doug kass and jim cramer both said

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 1:38 PM, MarkMcLT wrote:

I think you are misrepresenting the point of Cramer's Oct. 08 sell call. At that point there was a significant risk that the market was going to go down much further and stay there a very long time - because noone knew then how the government was going to react to the financial crisis. Cramer's call was a prudent reaction to the risks as they stood at that time.

It is illogical for you to use knowledge you have only now to evaluate after the fact an opinion expressed in the past when that knowledge did not exist. I'm sorry but it is your credibility that just got crushed.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 1:40 PM, devandev wrote:

This is one of the reasons I'm letting my subscription expire tomorrow.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 5:39 PM, mngordo wrote:

I have listened to Mr. Cramer pontificate for years. I NEVER pay attention to anything this little "entertainer" has to say.

My stock picks have done at least as well as his when his are considered in the aggregate. He says so much so fast and so often that he's not to be taken seriously.

We little people out here need to know that the renowned crook, Henry Blodgett previously dismissed by Merrill Lynch (which itself lacks credibility, now appears fairly regularly on Dylan Radigan's show on MSNBC.

Why do need to rescusitate those who have clearly demonstrated through ignorance, dishonesty, lack of character, inflated ego, or whatever that they are not to be trusted. Surely there are a few honest men and women of integrity out there who will step forward to fill the places of these failures.

Can't we find competent replacements for the failing CEOs who leave with tens and hundreds of millions for themselves when they go? Hell, I'd run XTO for half of the almost 500 million the CEO got for leaving when XOM takes over.

Amazing contrast when you see people struggling to find a job and put food on the table.

• Report this Comment On December 21, 2009, at 10:43 PM, kengzeng wrote:

Of course you can trust this guy if you do mind lost your money.....

He told us the NYX will go to $200 and CME will hit $1000... So try it!

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 10:59 AM, Krytech wrote:

Not a very classy article, or should I say advertisement. As a subscriber to SA, I feel offended by how many of your 'articles' are really just ads, and the flood of email offers I get. They all sound so cheesy and recycled. "If you would of invested in WMT in 1980....." who cares, I was 8 years old in 1980...

Also, for those that don't know or don't believe, SA is a great service and their picks are beating the market nicely. But here's the catch, if you want those returns, you would need to invest in every stock they recommend each month, that's two new positions each month. Otherwise you need a little luck to pick the right stock off the list to invest in because some are going to be dogs.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 12:10 PM, MADACASTO wrote:

TMF - get a clue and read what your readers are writing herein. Your philosophy (the one you live by, not the one on your slogan) is more hazardous than anything. Cramer knows how to make it and is learning to express himself better, and the CNBC network is better learning to position him. I am a huge fan of Jon Stewart and The Daily Show also. There was merit to that smackdown back then, but Jim has emerged as a better man for it. I predict that he'll return to the show vindicated.

As for TMF....buh-bye!

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 12:17 PM, pondee619 wrote:

"if you want those returns, you would need to invest in every stock they recommend each month, that's two new positions each month"

24 Stocks per year for ONE subscription. BUT, which subscription to get. Isn't a good portfolio a balanced and diversified portfolio? It would cost $1,500.00 to get a diversified fool portfolio using fool services. PLUS, having to "invest" in 6,8,12, +/- stocks per MONTH?

Nick, what would $1,500 PER YEAR invested in an S&P fund be worth at the end of twenty years? How many stocks can a average person, with a day job, adequately keep track of and still do the proper research for each?

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 12:41 PM, thefoolkiller wrote:

About as much class and accuracy as can be expected from these fools. It seems most of the articles posted by these self-serving fools are half-baked. I rarely bother to read them anymore.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 1:50 PM, plange01 wrote:

cramer has a few good ideas enough to keep his show on tv.lets not forget he is pushing his own investments and those of his wall street friends who are often selling or who have just bought something he recommends.listeners need to do their homework and make sure his picks fit their goals...

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 2:14 PM, arthurs1 wrote:

No doubt Cramer does flip flop going from raging bull to panicked bear back to raging bull. He is good for gathering info on a sector however. Beware when he pounds the table too much on stocks because he owns them and makes calls on stocks he has limited info on.

Does anybody remember the constant buy buy buy on Nastech?

Panicking investors doesn't help anyone.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 2:29 PM, newfoolishfool wrote:

Thank you all for posting your comments. I rarely read the comments, but today I did. Some of what you posted I was going to say, but it was already been said; like Krytech, dikrew, nontechie and others. So many ads, so much repetition and so much unecessary bashing. With all due respect, I just started this year and I made just as much profit from Cramer as from MF but the difference is that I paid $668 (about 4%) to MF and $0 to Cramer (0%). I hope the % converge by the end of the subscription to MF's.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 2:58 PM, Starfirenv wrote:

Judging by commmunity sentiment, maybe your next Cramer blog should be a retraction/ appology. . Please, bury this garbage once and for all. Professional courtesy? -1 for you. This is no way to entice subscriptions.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 4:25 PM, kmurch1 wrote:

I canceled my subscriptions and moved everything to bonds in Dec 2007. I credit street.com alot for delivering news that pointed to recession.

I also know MF's line during recession and just happen not to agree with it. "buy and hold good companies no matter what the macro is doing". I had no idea MF did so poorly in 08. But is anyone suprised?

MF is an excellent resource during good times or for new investors. We all need other sources especially for the macro environment which MF admitidly ignores.

However, I see MF trying to pull me back by advising on shorts and options in MFP. Trouble is its too late, i've educated myself on the go and the bear is hibernating.

Going forward, I see a slow recovery, sideways volitale market, more stimulus, a falling dollar and growth overseas. MF international is looking like a good deal for '10 but I still like thestreet and minyanville for free well written articles.

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 5:45 PM, direct1 wrote:

I am new to Motley Fool.How petty and pompous was this article on Kramer. As a financial advisor I sometimes watch his show for fun and I learn things.

Although an admitted entertainer and egomaniac,he is smart.I gained high respect for him when he says quite clearly before investing any money,one should have medical insurance,income protection insurance and an emergency fund.What better advice does Motley Fool have ?

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 6:29 PM, stockins wrote:

He talks loud and fast and pushs buttons that make funny noises. Ya got to believe him!

• Report this Comment On December 23, 2009, at 6:32 PM, goalie37 wrote:

Cramer's finishing slogan at the end of an episode is, "There's always a bull market somewhere." Since I am looking for value in my investing, my slogan would have to be, "There's always a bear market somewhere."

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 4:27 AM, NotAnotherTrader wrote:

CNBC is a useless channel, as an investor there's absolutely nothing useful for me there. The "fast money" show is just as bad. Well, there's something good: it reminds me how important it's to not listen to mainstream media when it comes to picking stocks. I have to give them credit for that. Oh, and Margaret Brenan is so freaking hot.. holy mother of ...

And what's with that maniac Kudlow or whatever his name is, holy shiat, somebody hand him a Valium

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 7:59 AM, JaysRage wrote:

I agree with the general consensus here. Even if this article had merit when it was originally published months ago (it didn't), it is absolutely pathetic to continue to push this article in front of Fooldom.

Have some dignity. Earn your own following. Don't backbite and attack your competitors.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 10:34 AM, deanoden wrote:

I'm getting redy to end my subscriptions with Motley Fools. I've lost so much money with their picks that I don't even open the newsletters or emails anymore. MDP and whatever the dirt one was has been a total disaster for me. These guys should own up to how terrible their picks are. At least Cramer admits when he makes a bad call.

If it wasn't Christmas eve I wouldn't even be here.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 11:34 AM, cgx56 wrote:

Just joined the fool, now wish I had NOT!

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 11:42 AM, anothernatural wrote:

I just subscribed. What have I gotten myself into?

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 11:55 AM, DoWeUnderstand wrote:

I try watch Cramer as much as I can. He is right more often than wrong and he unlike the Fool will admit when he made a bad call. I have made more money following his advice than following Fool advice. He called the March 2009 bottom while the Fool was saying all sorts of things that were wrong at that time. I like both the Fool and Cramer but Cramer has been more correct more often than the Fool. He clearly tells you to review any investment advice he gives you to make sure it meets your goals. He also has the unique ability to make complex financial concepts simple to understand. He is an excellent communicator and I do listen to his advice and I apply my own logic on what he says. I have done very in the market since I went in around the same time Cramer called the bottom.

Mr. Kapur, I think you should retract this article and apologize to Cramer for your comments.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 12:08 PM, KJTemplin wrote:

I respect your negative view of Cramer but ask that you respect those of us who use all different sources of market information (MF, Morningstar, The Street, CNBC and others) to invest. In classic bashing form, you used examples to support your negative views that were not altogether descriptive of Cramer's contributions. Cramer is a trader as are the Fast Money traders and others who appear on CNBC. I am not a trader. I know this and use their information accordingly. None of us have a crystal ball. And not all our trades turn positive. Be careful whose skillet you label black.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 12:22 PM, 123spot wrote:

anothernatural, You have gotten yourself into an open community of ideas and mutual education. Who else but MF would publish the uncensored views above? This community is made of independent minded individuals who vigorously, and usually civilly, argue all sides and seek a collective truth to apply to our own analyses. Many of the names you see above today are repeating the same messages they often bring-odd how they are always here, though, reading and criticizing, which is fine. They must find something they need here and are part of this community, too.

As for me, I have benefitted greatly from this free service and , after years of doing so, joined SA with very good results from that advice. I bought at lows on MF advice and didn't run for the hills when I wanted to because of their analysis. Hang in for the full experience.

Merrry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, Wonderful winter Paganfest to all and Fool on into the new year with cheer and good will.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 12:25 PM, r1bourg wrote:

Jim Crammer is the first one to tell you he gives you ideas but you must do your own homework.No broker ever took the time to spark my interest in stocks like Jim Crammer.With his rules,methods,books,interviews the man really got me started. Motley Fools is a bit more conservative and long term.Jim believes in trades or long term investing based on your own homework. His advice helped me get back into the market in March.I broke all rules...no homework just guts.Had lost a fortune by my standards and I'm up 30% because I got weak knees around June or so.Everyone was predicting this market to correct...never happened.Like you said no noe can predict short term changes. What do I know????

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 12:29 PM, robba67 wrote:

That The Fool continues to republish this screed shows that it cares nothing about its own reputation.

It is the reason I've cancelled my two subscriptions. From the comments, others have done the same thing.

Just totally stupid.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 1:26 PM, plange01 wrote:

cramer and his wall street friends have worked hard at forcing natural gas prices higher at a time when the country is in a depression and people are having a hard time paying their heat bills without his help....

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 1:38 PM, dave22q wrote:

the fact is Kramer was right while the Wall Street touts were generally wrong. I cannot stand his show with the kid gimmics and the air head callers but his track record is pretty good.

What other wall streeter had the balls to go on the Stewart show-

Stick to making and defending your recomendations.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 1:40 PM, Timerline wrote:

You made a mistake in this article when you say he was no where to be seen when the market bottomed in march, to tell people to get back in. I remember on friday, march 6th, doug cass (sp) was on fast money saying that it was the market bottom. Cramer, on cnbc, agreed with cass that it was the bottom and time to get back in. I think cramer does good work for the average trader/investor. His only problem is that he moves so fast from one show to the next that he often doesn't follow up on his recommendations until someone calls him on it but then, thats why he tells you to do your homework and be in control of your own portfolio. I had long heard how good the fool was for helping the individual investor make money. Since I joined , I haven't really noticed. The fool is beginning to look like a fool to me. Maybe you guys need to change your model and dig down deeper in the interest of helping people find good trades, investments. I think you have become far too institutionalized and your fool train is running regardless of common sense, down the track as a self perpetuating profit machine for you, not your subscribers. Cramer, the pt barnum of the stock market he is, made some wrong calls but in the end he made the right calls when it really mattered.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 1:51 PM, dont2 wrote:

This article, as so many readers have told you, is not worthy of MF. I have been an MF member for over 10 years and concur with the basic investing philosophy: it has done quite well for me over time with several 10 baggers. Jim Cramer takes a somewhat shorter term view, and I have profited on many of his ideas also. He is the most knowledgeable person about the market I have read or heard, bar none. He says what he honestly thinks. Both MF and Cramer are excellent sources of input for investing decisions.

If you are going to criticize, at least be fair and do it

in context. You only gave part of that quote. What he actually said was the anyone who needed the money within the next five years should take it out of the market because we were headed down. I can't imagine better or more timely advice! Also recognize he has been bullish since the March bottom, and was one of the first to call the turn.

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 7:16 PM, Fool wrote:

Cramer touted Citi soo hard and loud that igot sucked into

buying it at over 5 but now he claims that he said to sell it when it got over 5

I dont think soo last I remember he said he liked it to 6 short time and 12 after a few years

I believe hi lied and then covered his lies

Vincenzo

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 7:17 PM, Fool wrote:

He also said that the market was finished for this year

that was about 2-3 weeks ago now that its been up big-ti9me

he makes believe he never said that.

Vincenzo

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 7:30 PM, smoore83815 wrote:

I think before you critize some one you should get your facts strait. I think Crammer was right I just wished I had listened to him. You might learn a little bit if you actually watched his show. Good luck!

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 10:25 PM, Fool wrote:

Okay, here we go.

I began studying how to run my own portfolio in 2007. I had a Thrift Savings Plan account that I wanted to roll over into an IRA. I self educated on the subject by reading Ric Edelman and before I was interested in running my own portfolio, I just thought Cramer was a crackpot, mostly because of his show antics.

As I educated myself, I started to listen to Cramer and as a complete neophyte, he provided me a with a source of information and education about things I previously knew nothing about. I was also able to review my mother-in-law's portfolio at the local Bear Stearns office. I watched her account lose 90%!! How's that for letting a professional run your account?! Cramer's show provided a stark contrast to that Bozo (apologies to the clown).

I heard Cramer make the get your money out call and fortunately my rollover TSP was in transit and not invested. When the rollover was complete, it was October and I gingerly started picking some stocks. Cramer was a great help and I learned alot from him that has stood me well. I am up about 70% and I have to attribute it to Cramer, the teacher. Is he my guru, no. But I am thankful for his help and I listen to him first of all.

There are many things about investing that I am learning and education is key. I will always appreciate Cramer because he taught me enough to believe that I can do and that no one else on the earth will care about my portfolio more than me. Cramer is not my sole source, but he is a good source. Thank you, Jim, for getting me in the game.

Regarding these attacks on Cramer, how about using the space to provide some real education instead of "HEY, LOOK AT THIS CHINESE PLAY-JUST SIGN UP AND WE WILL SHOW IT TO YOU FREE!!" Enough already. How do I get off of this train?

BTW: I am looking for a FINRA complaint familiar person to go after that Bear Stearns FA. I would also like to talk to a lawyer about a class action suit, considering this broke-d**k, shafter about 5 grannies and widows just like he did my mother-in -law, who is a Saint. kerry@spd4u.com

• Report this Comment On December 24, 2009, at 10:25 PM, thisislabor wrote:

Ha!

Hey you what do you think about XYZ company at XYZ price? Welcome to the fool. That is why you shouldn't listen to cramer. if you don't get my point I ain't explaining it further.

Fool on motleyfool, last time you posted this same article I learned something valueable from it. thankyou.

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 12:51 AM, shenoy2206 wrote:

I agree that this article is being repeated from a few months back. But you should also be aware that Cramer is just a fluke!! He says something & then suddenly changes his message a few weeks or months later.

He said ISRG has no product for future so we should just sell when it was around 155$. Does he do his homework before taking such a stand. It was a best buy by David. I like a mad man sold at 155$. It is today at double the price at 300$. I got fooled into selling because I was not foolish enough to have faith in David's indepth research...

I think buying good companies, under valued companies with good management will pay long term ...

I have seen my uncle's retiring a multi millionaire investing in good companies all his life..

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 4:57 AM, DEInc wrote:

I subscribe to the Fool and TheStreet. If you will notice the fool never had a million dollar portfolio until Cramer started his trust. But unlike the fool Jim will give daily sometime 2 - 3 times a day on his observations of the market which helps a lot. The fool is lucky if it will update once or twice a month. The Cramer I see on tv and the one I read on The Street are different I guess if you pay him you get sound advice. I also subscribe to Tim Sykes he shorts penny stocks I average 200 dollars a week with him. Does this make me a bad person because I day trade put options? No there is no wrong way to trade I have been investing in energy trusts for 10 years for the dividends. But I like to trade sometimes everyone should use the information you are comfortable with and have the time to keep up with your portfolio. But bashing competitors is very unprofessional.

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 5:30 AM, dugwood13 wrote:

I have been considering subscribing to one of your (Motley Fool) products. I also have been listening, reading, researching just about anything I can get my hands on for the last 2+ years. I was just about to "pull the trigger" on one of your services. But, this article has completely made me take an "about face" and decide not to subscribe. A.) It is unprofessional. B.) Much of the information about Jim Cramer is just outright false.

I have to say that I am surprised. Jim Cramer's investing advise and track record is transparent. He has consistently outperformed the S&P 500. He also prominently displays his losses. You have lost my potential business. This article was a mistake.

By the way, If you subscribe to Cramer's Action Alert plus service, he emails you before he makes a trade. This keeps investors from piling in a stock he has already invested in and raising the price for him to take advantage of. He also donates ALL of his portfolio profits each year to charity. His service is VERY reasonably priced. You can catch it on sale (regularly) for $99 per year.

Sorry "Fools" you lost my money. Time for a change in tactics. Good luck.

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 8:35 AM, mwidja wrote:

As you stated, no one can predict market direction. I don't follow every Cramer advise. At times, he's been proven wrong and right. He always stresses the important of doing your own homework which is a very sound advice. I learned a lot from Cramer shows during the past year. Writing an article like this is unprofessional and not helping anyone. STOP this kind of non-sense article!

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 8:43 AM, pepsidule wrote:

How many times do you see Jim Cramer said somethings then later he said differently ?? Or he picked the stocks then go down. And also remember that he has

a show, as he tell those fools " buy, buy, buy" some stocks, of course that stock would has the chance to go up in next day, but guess what i will go down later.

I find it very funny as people look at jim and listen to him as " Jesus", Well it's their "religion" and they are intitled to it. Good luck guys. When you loose money, I hope Jim Cramer will have some sympathy for u. I has made some money with my own judgment and thought.

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 9:01 AM, marckhway wrote:

Instead of worrying about Jim Cramer, MF should concentrate on getting its own picks right. While Cramer is an entertainer, he provides an invaluable service-that of keeping people in the game. There is no way that I would have stayed in this topsy-turvy market over the past 2 years without his insight and explanations. He has added some transparency to what had previously been an unfathomable mine field. He educates about sectors, cycles, earnings and institutional investors so that the little guy can stand in there and even profit. If I followed "buy and hold"

in October of 2008 with respect to my brokerage fund and 401K, I would have been severely depressed by now. Instead, I'm significantly up from that time. So while others may continue to rant against Cramer, until someone appears to better take on the cause of the individual investor, I will clap my hands over both ears and reply in Shmeigel-like fashion, "I'm not listening, I'm not listening!"

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 10:33 AM, Fool wrote:

I watched his shiow EVERY DAY

he never said to sell CITI AT 5 UNTIL IT DIPPED WAY BELOW 5 i REMEMBER HIM SAYING HE LIKED IT TO 6

SHORT TIME AND 12 LONGTERM

hE EITHER lied or has a bad memory

VINCENZO

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Fool wrote:

hES LIKE A WEATHER MAN WHO LOOKS OUT THE WINDOW /and then takes credit for what happened.

A BIG CHALKIE

vincenzo

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 10:39 AM, Fool wrote:

Cramer

Please show PROOF THAT YOU SAID TO SELL c\WHEN IT HIT 5

mE THINKS YOU didnt say that until it dipped way below 5

Vincenzo

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 1:01 PM, pbco2001 wrote:

So much Vitirol, so little content! Vincenzo drink some EggNog and cheer up.

I subscribed to SA for several years. It didn't take me long to discover that after the monthly recommendations came out the share prices would climb when all the good little fool subscribers followed the advice. After about three weeks the prices would drop back to where they were or below. Then if it made sense you could buy. With Cramer's stocks mentioned on TV it works the same way, a price surge the next day.

I would look at the recommendations and do my own due diligence on whether the stock was a good investment or not, and whether it was at an attractive price. If it was I invested, if it was overpriced I waited for a buying opportunity.

I will give Cramer credit for not giving that advice. In his books he plainly says that you have to do your homework before and after you invest in a stock. He recommends in one book spending at least an hour a week studying EACH STOCK even after you own them.

That is hard work!

Recently the Fool has been touting their community wisdom as an investing tool. 150,000 fools can't be wrong! I guess its human nature to want to take the easy way. You don't have to do any work to loose weight [make that make money in the market]. Just follow our advice and it will happen. They still are touting AOB when the stock is a total disaster, I guess they don't admit there mistakes as other posters have pointed out.

Anyone who expects any Investment Advisor to bat 100% still believes in the Tooth fairy!

And yes this attack is definitely out of line!

• Report this Comment On December 25, 2009, at 5:04 PM, emiliana wrote:

I rarely watch Cramer because I too thought he was an entertainer. He is entertaining, to a certain extent. I do wish I had listened to him and last October. I still have not recouped my lost investments. Had I pulled out then, and gotten back in in March, I'd be way ahead of the game now, and have a lot more to invest with. I don't know who MF thinks they're fooling with articles of this type. Riding a stock to the bottom even if it does bounce back up again is not a good use of money. It's better to park it somewhere even if it earned minimal interest until the market rights itself. I am more convinced than ever to take all of MF's advise with a grain of salt. I've bought options on their recommendation which have been exercised (WU) and except for AMZN, almost all the other recommendations have been static. I'd rather pay the fees to the broker and what I have to to the taxman rather than see my money just lie there.

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 12:42 AM, pmamanager wrote:

"Fool" me once, your fault..."Fool" me twice, my fault. This is the second time you have posted this trash of which I am aware. I will cancel my account with you just as soon as I send this message.

After studying Stan Weinstein's "Secrets for Profiting in Bull and Bear Markets" and now understanding how to read charts and time the swings of stocks I haven't been reading your "stuff" anyway.

I am out!

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 7:17 AM, Fool wrote:

Only an Idiot would expect 100% reseults but Cramer with all his research stuff at his finger tips is BAD

There is a web-stie which tracks his picks and the proof is rite there and it aint good.

I dont know abouit egg-nog but Cramer should have Egg on his face

Vincenzo

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 7:18 AM, Fool wrote:

I still expect Cramer to show proof that he said to sell Citi when it hit 5.

He WONT CUZ HE DIDNT!!

vINCENZO

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 9:35 AM, ToniSavage wrote:

Just because you bet the ranch on a 7-2 at Texas Hold'em doesn't mean it was the RIGHT bet to make, even if you ended up with a full house!

If you had had $50K in October of 08, and needed, say, 10K for taxes in April and 10K for your kid's first year of college in February, you woulda been really messed up. say the amount went down to 25K at the March low.. would have left you with maybe 5K for the rest of the kid's education instead of the 30K you needed!

And that's only in hindsight. The market MIGHT have tanked totally, and your kid would not be able to go to college at all.

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 12:32 PM, frankrib wrote:

Contenting that "No one can consistently forecast the direction of the market" is a straw man argument. Success in a trading style of investing requires only that you are correct more often than you are wrong . The same false argument would content that "no one can consistently buy stock that will always rise in value relative to the market". Success in stock picking only requires that a portfolio holds more winners than losers.

Efficient market theorists would say that you can't beat the market either by market timing OR by specific stock selection. Index funds would be the efficient investment vehicle by their calculations. The Fool's advice is predicated on market inefficiency, not only because it promotes individual stock selection, but it can also suggest marketing timing as it will identify times when valuations "look attractive" for a stock purchase. Theory would argue here too that, even at a deperssed valuation, that there is a 50-50 chance of the stock price rising or falling. On the other hand a pure buy-and-hold strategy can lead the disasters that were experienced by long-term holders of GM stock who were told (often by their parents) to never sell GM stock.

Timing is an important dimension in any coherent investment strategy. For Lynch, Buffet, and Fool's followers, success has come with longer holding periods. But success has come to others, Soros, Rogers and yes Mr. Cramer, with timing shorter holding periods. Can learning the skills of both groups make us better investors? Most definitely.

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 3:42 PM, wskfoury wrote:

Fool just got fooler

• Report this Comment On December 26, 2009, at 6:01 PM, libragopi wrote:

I think I might end my subscription at Fool.com if the writers are bashing other people instead of educating the people (as the founders say the site is supposed to do). Not every Fool pick makes money. So is true with Cramer and all other analysts and of course is true with us (the indivudual investor). Sites like Fool.com, TheStreet.com narrows and filters 7000+ stocks into less than 100. It is your choice to pick the best from this 100 after doing some research on your own (as you don't have the time/energy to do research on all 7000+ stocks). Sometimes, you make a kill with your choice(s), but other times, you cap your losses, and go with other stocks. Simple, yet effective and it works, at least for me.

• Report this Comment On December 27, 2009, at 10:35 AM, poojan415 wrote:

After following Jim Cramer's on TV (mad money) for couple of months in 2009, I must agree fully with this article that Jim Cramer is Crap. You would be better investor, if you do your own research on individual stock then just believing Jim blindly. Knowledge is power and that is why we have the greatest tool on the earth to gain knowledge on any subject and that is the invention of " INTERNET". I stopped watching Jim Cramer because he is full of BS.

• Report this Comment On December 27, 2009, at 1:00 PM, pwhitten wrote:

How interesting. . . . at the time of writing my comment, there were 86 recommendations on this post, which I assume were from Fools who agree with the article. Yet at the same time, there are now 90+ comments, and the overwhelming majority of these are either defending Jim Cramer or lambasting TMF for a very negative point of view.

It's ironic, because Cramer and TMF share the same mission - to educate, amuse, and make money. I like them both, but I make my own investing decisions based on my homework. I don't think that one should categorically dismiss either TMF or Cramer just because you disagree with then.

• Report this Comment On December 27, 2009, at 2:08 PM, Boomer61 wrote:

Some people get ahead by being the best. Those that can't deal with competition continually try to discredit others. In my opinion, Jim Cramer is egotistic, obsessive, and entertaining in a way that can grate on the nerves of some. He is also brilliant and possesses the experience and insight of which few can boast. To say someone makes some bad calls in the market is laughable. I make my own decisions about my investments but I am a better investor today because of Jim Cramer. Funny I have never heard Cramer bash TMF.

• Report this Comment On December 31, 2009, at 10:27 PM, glashoppah wrote:

LOL look at all the fanboys rant.

My daddy taught me when I was a little boy to look out when someone is peppering their talk with clownish behavior. Cramer is a circus sideshow barker. Ball-batting objects, making loud sound effects, flashing lights, those are a distraction - the distraction of a P.T. Barnum. And you fanboys are all the suckers. He's got you by the short hairs. Several other commenters have nailed it: if Cramer is such a wizard, why is he playing the TV buffoon rather than pure speculating away from the limelight? It says a lot about what's going on - and says a lot about his audience. Only rednecks and the naive are fooled by a circus carny.

Read "Fooled by Randomness" and learn, and turn off the boob tube along with head boobs like Cramer.

• Report this Comment On January 04, 2010, at 10:12 PM, MW7 wrote:

Wow! This is an ugly place. I just signed on for StockAdvisor but the virulence here gives me pause. I just began investing, and quite frankly--both entities; the Fool and Mad Money--have helped.