Watch stocks you care about
The single, easiest way to keep track of all the stocks that matter...
Your own personalized stock watchlist!
It's a 100% FREE Motley Fool service...
Urban Outfitters (Nasdaq: URBN ) announced after market hours on May 21 that their first-quarter earnings per share beat analyst expectations by $0.03 at $0.23. Investors had anticipated the announcement by closing more than 3% higher on May 21. It further traded up in extended hours after the announcement, and rose more than 7% on Tuesday morning. Quite an impressive rally.
Earnings were $34 million vs. $38.6 million for the same quarter a year ago, according to MarketWatch. Net sales were $568.9 million vs. $524 million, though analysts expected sales of $579.6 million for the period.
Urban Outfitters' stores include the Anthropologie and Free People retail storefronts. Net sales at Anthropologie fell 2% while Free People's rose the same amount, and Urban Outfitters sales rose 6%.
Business section: Investing ideas
The retail industry is still seeing the positive results from increased consumer spending earlier this year. Several factors, including increased unemployment and market rallies freed up cash for consumers to spend, and retailers reaped the reward. The unusually warm weather didn't hurt either.
Below is a list of retail stocks that are reporting earnings this week. Do you think they will follow Urban Outfitters' lead?
List sorted by market cap. (Click here to access free, interactive tools to analyze these ideas.)
1. Costco (Nasdaq: COST ) : Operates membership warehouses that offer a selection of branded and private label products in a range of merchandise categories in no-frills, self-service warehouse facilities. Market cap at $35.99B, most recent closing price at $82.94. Earnings to be announced on 05/24.
2. Ralph Lauren: Engages in the design, marketing, and distribution of lifestyle products. Market cap at $13.07B, most recent closing price at $141.51. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
3. Best Buy (NYSE: BBY ) : Operates as a retailer of consumer electronics, home office products, entertainment products, appliances, and related services primarily in the United States, Europe, Canada, and China. Market cap at $6.17B, most recent closing price at $18.02. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
4. PetSmart (Nasdaq: PETM ) : Operates as a specialty retailer of products, services, and solutions for pets in North America. Market cap at $6.07B, most recent closing price at $55.98. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
5. PVH: Designs and markets branded dress shirts, neckwear, sportswear, footwear, and other related products worldwide. Market cap at $5.12B, most recent closing price at $72.71. Earnings to be announced on 05/23.
6. American Eagle Outfitters: Operates as an apparel and accessories retailer in the United States and Canada. Market cap at $3.6B, most recent closing price at $18.40. Earnings to be announced on 05/23.
7. DSW: Operates as a specialty branded footwear retailer in the U. Market cap at $2.41B, most recent closing price at $54.95. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
8. Big Lots (NYSE: BIG ) : Operates as a broad line closeout retailer in the United States. Market cap at $2.35B, most recent closing price at $35.43. Earnings to be announced on 05/23.
9. Guess: Engages in the design, marketing, distribution, and licensing of apparel and accessories for men, women, and children. Market cap at $2.2B, most recent closing price at $24.51. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
10. Express: Operates specialty retail stores in the United States. Market cap at $2.02B, most recent closing price at $22.55. Earnings to be announced on 05/22.
Interactive Chart: Press Play to compare changes in analyst ratings over the last two years for the stocks mentioned above. Analyst ratings sourced from Zacks Investment Research.
Kapitall's Danny Guttridge does not own any of the shares mentioned above. Data sourced from Finviz.