Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Behind Today's Dreary Dow

Don't let it get away!

Keep track of the stocks that matter to you.

Help yourself with the Fool's FREE and easy new watchlist service today.

Markets slipped Thursday after unflattering manufacturing numbers shed doubts on the strength of the economic recovery. As companies seek to lower inventories, production in New York and Philadelphia slipped, and with sub-2% annual GDP growth projected in the second quarter, Wall Street didn't have much to applaud today. The Dow Jones Industrial Average (DJINDICES: ^DJI  ) lost 81 points, or about 0.6%, to close at 14,537. 

Leading the index today was Verizon Communications (NYSE: VZ  ) , which added 2.8% to lead the Dow. The company owns 55% of Verizon Wireless, with the other 45% owned by telecom peer Vodafone. Verizon's first quarter results today, which saw revenue rise 6.8% to nearly $20 billion, gave investors hope that this financial stability will allow it to buy out Vodafone's stake and gain full ownership of Verizon Wireless.

Chip maker Intel (NASDAQ: INTC  ) ended as one of the Dow's brighter spots, as well. Taking a cue from rival Advanced Micro Devices, Intel tacked on 1.4% after AMD issued a sunny forecast that beat analyst projections. Hearing a positive outlook from an industry peer offered some validation of Intel's own optimistic expectations, which surprised the markets on Tuesday, sending shares 2.5% higher.

Lest we forget the dismal performance of the markets Thursday, UnitedHealth Group (NYSE: UNH  ) offered one sober reminder of why they fell, as it tumbled 3.8%. The largest health insurer in the U.S. issued guidance of its own, cautioning that budget cuts would negatively impact earnings this year. The ensuing anxiety about what effects the sequester would have on other health insurers even sent shares in some of UnitedHealth's rivals into bearish territory.

Lastly, Bank of America's (NYSE: BAC  ) 2.2% slide today marks continued fallout from its quarterly call, which resulted in shares plummeting nearly 5% yesterday. No one doubts that B of A is in better shape than it was a year ago; the company is shoring up its balance sheet and addressing litigation from the financial crisis. But a sluggish showing from its mortgage banking business in the first quarter is a major reason for the bank's two-day slump.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (2)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2372315, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/25/2016 5:07:57 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 1 day ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,261.45 -131.01 -0.71%
S&P 500 2,164.69 -12.49 -0.57%
NASD 5,305.75 -33.78 -0.63%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

9/23/2016 4:55 PM
^DJI $18261.45 Down -131.01 -0.71%
BAC $15.52 Down -0.08 -0.51%
Bank of America CAPS Rating: ****
INTC $37.19 Down -0.36 -0.96%
Intel CAPS Rating: ****
UNH $140.51 Down -0.53 -0.38%
UnitedHealth Group CAPS Rating: ****
VZ $52.56 Up +0.21 +0.40%
Verizon Communicat… CAPS Rating: ****