I Hate eBay

Here at the Fool, I'm surrounded by people who have a thing for eBay (Nasdaq: EBAY  ) . David Gardner highlighted eBay as a Motley Fool Stock Advisor pick long ago. Bill Mann sold his stake in eBay and felt regret afterwards. Heck, Rick Munarriz was so enamored of eBay last summer that he was ready to get hitched.

Then there's me, over in the corner. I have a dirty secret. I hate eBay.

Yep, that's right. Hating eBay; it's hard to do, isn't it? It's pretty absurd to think of a company -- and stock -- this successful... and hate it.

Back in the late '90s (when else?), many cubicles and offices before I worked at the Fool, I recall discussing eBay (and eToys -- ahem! -- as well as Amazon.com (Nasdaq: AMZN  ) ) with a co-worker. Regarding eBay, he said, "Isn't that the greatest idea ever?" I probably nodded and smiled, being generally a nonconfrontational person. But as I recall, I was thinking, "But that's other people's stuff." (Thinking it -- heck, my brain was screaming it!)

Later on, I bought shares of Amazon.com instead. (Not a bad choice, as it turned out, but still.) When it came to eBay, I just didn't get the allure. (Nor did I get why it's a "bay" and why the "e" is lower case. What the...?) I smugly waited for eBay's dot-com demise, where it would join the likes of other high-profile Internet casualties (supposedly "good ideas," all) such as eToys and Kozmo.com. As we all know now, that never happened.

What's not to like?
Yeah, I had no idea that a company that allows multitudes of people and businesses to sell various and sundry items harvested from their basements and attics (such as old-school cow creamers, Pez dispensers, and red rotary telephones that you can pretend are "The Bat Phone") would make such a huge impression. All I could think was this was like a glorified yard sale, attracting fringe types who are looking for random collectibles and bric-a-brac, such as pet rocks, Looney Tunes jelly jars, or macramé plant hangers. "So what?" said I.

Of course, it wasn't really so. Little did I realize that it would be the place where people who are adept at living below their means would find items -- not just gently used but also brand spanking new -- at cut-rate prices. Little did I realize that it would go far beyond flea market, and some retailers would set up shop in eBay's virtual bazaar. Little did I realize... famous last words.

Indeed, I was chagrined to learn a few years ago that a friend of mine was getting Ann Taylor (NYSE: ANN  ) Loft duds "new with tags" for cheap, cheap, cheap -- from eBay. Meanwhile, another friend has built a formidable inventory of great Dr. Martens (my own footwear of choice) from eBay -- again, these being brand new, in the box, at a mere fraction of the regular cost. (She later bid on a pair for me and executed the deal -- I refused to do it. Stubbornness is one of my failings.)

The anecdotes above don't even begin to cover the goods you can get. Computers and related equipment. First-edition books. Trekkie paraphernalia of all kinds. A once-used wedding dress modeled by a bitter ex-husband. Cars, darn it, cars! Its products run the gamut from utilitarian to big ticket to gloriously campy.

So, it's not all about yard sale chic (although that's definitely part of the appeal). Many a small business exists solely on eBay. People are also getting brand-new items from companies that have excess inventories. Meanwhile, buyers bid on these products from the comfort of home, with the ease of some mouse clicks.

Financial powerhouse
Talk about adding some insult to injury. It's not just that eBay's business plan was so brilliant -- and so uniquely geared toward the Internet -- that it flew completely over my head. eBay has also proven a whopper of an investment. Its market cap has skyrocketed from $3 billion in 1998 to $75 billion today. That's because you're hard-pressed to find a stock with the kind of sales and earnings growth that eBay has exhibited over the years, even during times of economic turmoil. Heck, eBay's emphasis on bargains helps insulate it against economic uncertainty. Just check out eBay's latest quarterly numbers for more of the standard fare.

Digging a little deeper, there's still lots to like. eBay's free cash flow, a measure that we at the Fool like very much, clocked in at $508.7 million last year, a 50% increase on a year-over-year basis. The company's margins have been steadily increasing over time; its 80%-plus gross profit margins are enough to make Amazon.com weep. Another glance at eBay's most recent 10-K reveals a company that's flush, with $1.72 billion in cash and near-cash items and zero debt.

It's no wonder that Meg Whitman beat out Hewlett-Packard's (NYSE: HPQ  ) Carly Fiorina this year for the top spot on Fortune's "Most Powerful Women in Business" list.

During the summer, longtime Fool contributor Rick Munarriz (eBay's suitor, as we've already established) covered another glowing quarter, pointing out that eBay is poised to take advantage of growth overseas (although Yahoo! (Nasdaq: YHOO  ) has its own auction service in one of the major markets, China).

As I happen to have been such a hater, though, I'd like to point out a few things that could sap some strength out of the mighty. Smaller scale bartering sites are cropping up. Privately held, Spartan Craigslist has been cited by some as a possible competitive force, given its grassroots popularity. (Although eBay's already got its eye on that action.) Bill Mann recently pointed out the importance of customer loyalty, and the fact that Overstock.com (Nasdaq: OSTK  ) hopes to capitalize on a growing minority of disenchanted eBay members. Even PayPal has suffered from some recent glitches that could make for some angry eBay flunkies, though it did in fact apologize (or did it?).

I'm not going to go on the record to say that anything could take eBay down, though. Anything could happen in this quickly evolving world we live in, but heck. eBay's been defying conventional wisdom from the start.

My own road to recovery
Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel much better. It's time to take the high road and get past all the hate. (Especially since hating things isn't high on my list of ways to spend time.) I guess I have to admit that my feelings about eBay are in large part a case of what they call "sour grapes." (It's the painful echo of my own thought, "That'll never work!", that still irks me. As well as the fact that I would never have taken a chance on this stock that, for years, has been chastised for being "overvalued," a belief that given eBay's heated growth and unique business model, has never been proven to be true.)

Come to think of it, there are a lot of attributes to being a good Fool -- to learn lessons, one of which, surely, is to be able to accept when you have been wrong and to think out of the box a little bit when you assess a business or a stock. (And of course, it takes an open mind to pinpoint a company that's about to break all the rules.)

I've come up with a game plan, though, to get past my irrational hatred of Meg & Co., now that I've taken the first step, by admitting my secret here. I'm preparing to bid in my first eBay auction. After all, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em.

eBay and Amazon.com are bothMotley Fool Stock Advisorpicks. If you're looking to identify adventurous, high-growth stocks that break the rules of conventional wisdom, don't forget to check out our new service,Motley Fool Rule Breakers. Or talk about all things eBay with other Fools by clicking here.

Alyce Lomax no longer owns shares of Amazon.com; she owns shares of none of the companies mentioned in this commentary. She has lost the first couple auctions she's tried on eBay. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On September 06, 2008, at 11:19 PM, loatheebay wrote:

I hate ebay because they let imarriedmylawyer**, who is bebe_for_less and her sidekick bebestyle2007, who was happytuesdays4u and they are bebe_store and mels_closet. here's the real deal amaigos, they are in an internet connection ebay allows it or are they on to them. We are. these sellers put up items for bid and all of a sudden they have like 27 bids start price is .99 get this their shills cuz they have an mexican connection will shill the heck out of it to over 100 american buceraroos. they wear all of their bebe items and then save the tags sell it an NWT get the stuff from bebe outlets at 9 bucks an item sell it to you at over or close to a hundred USD they are all on welfare, public housing and food stamps and just now the government is finding all this out they can change their original location, run, but can't hide. keep changing their seller names, location of where they are on ebay, but they forgot to realize that its all saved on gov't databases. imarriedmylawyer** is such a thief cuz she has many seller names and buyer relatives to give you neg's she is NOT a lawyer do a search on her lemme tell you her hubs was in the can she jus acts like she is a a ttorney LMAO! ignorant cocky belligerent wanabe sells all used damaged rubbage from outlets then will leave you a neagtive with a positive hehehehe she sells or used to under nyparidlondon then changed it to nyparis london** was on ioffer too everybody knows she buys her own stuff so should could keep her power seller status she just send then money through pay pal then they buy the item and give her an outstanding feedback. will she ever grow up? like we don't have all these and her alter ego names all down pat. Get a life. ebay is a mess and allow these people on assisatnce to stay home rob buyers and ruin other sellers or just rid their competition. WISE UP GREED BAY and stop these same people from making your stocks plunge. imarriedmylawyer** is the same as bebe_for_less along with mels_closet , bebestyle2007, formerly happytuesdays4u, she ran from that name hehe, they intertwine all names and give ech other + feedback and why not free housing, food stamps and lay around all day robbing buyers and getting fat off our gov't while they get every perk that our US gov't has to offer. go back to mexico where u people belong.

• Report this Comment On October 11, 2008, at 10:31 AM, nobay wrote:

Too many problems with the greediness. People work hard to throw items up and the fees are just too much now. With the economic state the way it is, I am taking my business to www.jooxter.com - a point auction/trading site that has no fees for listing. jooxter is perfect for me.

• Report this Comment On November 18, 2008, at 4:59 PM, ihateebay wrote:

Ebay has forgetten how they got big. I for one cant stand them. They have no respect for the people that put them where they are at. I hope they go down faster than the Titanic. They are to good to speak to you. When you have a problem with Safety and Trust they want you to email them. Then you ask for help and they are to good to answer you.

Then when it comes to their policy they have a blind eye..they enforce it selectively. Of course they will not admit to that. They have all sort of excuses.."well, we cant get to everyone on time" "no we are not selecting just you" YOu make them aware of the situation and they turn their heads or they become deaf. I am disgusted with them and I for one hate them with a passion!

• Report this Comment On November 19, 2008, at 12:01 PM, truthprevails wrote:

So finally, imarriedmylawyer** ex- ebay thieving seller is no longer a registered user. What happened? Did buyers find out that your fake name and company DOES NOT EXIST. What USA ATTORNEYS? LOL! What are you trying to prove? You are an illegal person in the US impersonating someone with authority. Your name is funnier than your face. No lawyer's wife would be selling bebe outlet purses on ebay. I am married to someone of authority and I would never shop outlet style. The nerve you have, or had, to up price outlet purses into the hundreds of dollars to unsuspecting buyers. You had no mercy. You robbed them all with your outrageous prices, then your shipping was atrocious. Well we got a good laugh at you esoecially when you gave or attempted to give negative feedback to a buyer, but you gave them a positive screaming in upper case NEGATIVE NEGATIVE. Of course, ebay removed it. Why didn't your fake lawyer husband sue the buyer? LOL! Get a life. Did the IRS contact you yet? Your calls to my home were disgraceful and now you have your child on your message machine speaking like that? Well, Dept of Human Services were contacted about what you allow your child to say for all to hear. BTW, where did you get those frog eyes? MOOOOOOOO! No disrespect to the frog or the cow. Be gone greedy teef, as you would put it. Did you enjoy destroying other sellers? Ya know what, instant karma gonna get you. The money you stole from buyers, you will be using for something else. It won't be good. That's Instant Karma...better get urself 2 gether. Now go sell under bebe_for_less and keep ripping buyers with the highest shipping fees i have ever seen. YUCK!

• Report this Comment On November 25, 2008, at 3:00 AM, mylistofebayscam wrote:

I hate ebay. Since you could no longer leave negative feedback for harassing buyers and thieving sellers, I have my own list of bad experiences with buyers and sellers on ebay. The liars, the scammers, the shillers, the harassers after they bought your item, excessive shipping charges, same sellers with different names. So buyers beware of these sellers, who buy too.

1. instylewithbebe SHILLER - to circumvent listing fess, this seller starts every item @ .99 then watch the shills come running on in. It's so obvious, it's sickening. Check it, you see. Now being a buyer on ebay, WE ALL KOW that nearly everyone waits for the final minutes to bid on something to get a rea auction deal. But this seller is so alluring its magic how fast her items show up on the new search and has way too many bids for me to believe. Shilling to the max gone on over there. Disgraceful and ebay turns a blind eye!

2. Redlilly14 oh beware of this scammer. All her contact info is wrong. She is a harassing thief. She'll claim she never gets the item. The most deviant seller/buyer I have ever seen. No problem though, she's on her way to the tax office. She's got to go. She robs everybody. Look at her shipping time. Not suspended, hmmm.! Her friend myasmom is another loser liar. She is on her way to the tax man too.

3. We all knew and know that imarriedmylawyer** has destroyed so many bebe sellers, she should put her hispanic head down as she has disgraced her culture with true greed and vindictiveness.

She quit using that name but is bebe_for_less. That is a true fact. She also rotates her inventory on that name and on bebestyle2007, formerly happytuesdays4U. She has used so many of her friends and family to buy from sellers just to leave negatives, like dealz_for_me, deals_for_me, daddyisnice (Not a registered user) she got caught using that name. factoryseconds (no longer a registered user) i*buy*authentic*items*only*not*fake. she hooked up with love_cute_stuff, mels_closet, mel3090 and this seller has another name. Anuta78 is a lying UPI, as she described herself (SIC) she will wear your stuff when she was preggers then lie...lie..lie..then return it. Disgusting and she is trying to be in law. Doubt it hunnie, you just don't have what it takes. Jealous of the young pretty girl who interviewed you? lol. It's terrible. I hate ebay because of people like this. Ebay once turned a blind eye, but not anymore. These sellers are on their way out. Put them on your block list, you'll never regret it. More to come.

• Report this Comment On November 29, 2008, at 10:58 PM, READMESHILLERS wrote:

love_cute_stuff seller is a shiller for instylewithbebe and bebestyle2007. I had an investigating team observe the shilling activity on ebay, just for fun. These are the results. Almost embarrassed at what we found going on there. They have a large group of Hispanic sellers/who have buyers names, too. Look at instylewithbebe seller completed listings and you'll see the same bidders masked name under her items, shilling the bids up , too far up for us to understand. This is how they work: the expert nubie seller has ebay all figured out when she first starts. Shaking our heads here. To save the ebay fees, the seller or I'll say this seller instylewithbebe, starts every bid at 99 cents. Then they all go to certain items, different people are assigned to different items. Then the shills go crazy. After looking at her feedfack and the series of numerous bidders, we have come to the conclusion that they are all connected. Some masked name bidders are now NOT A REGISTERED USER! Isn't that odd? They had 60 % bidding activity with instylewithbebe. Like we believe that, uh huh!~! Sure we do! Nobody on ebay bids as soon as the item is put up for 99 cents. Everybody will wait until the last minutes or hour of the listing to bid on that great of a bargain. But not instylewithbebe listings, they have bids immediately after they are posted for 7 days. It's only now that she is listing at higher prices because she knows we all know. I want to know where the location of "bebe city" is? We can't help it, but it is so funny to us. AND with the buyers no longer giving feedback, it has become a thing of the past, NOT with this nubie seller, instylewith bebe gets tremendous feedback with all !!! and nothing but ALL bs in our eyes. This group of shillers including love_cute_stuff seller, who tried to bring back seller bebestyle2007 are disgusting. They start all new names and had names from the past that were just sitting there in waiting. They think they have it all down to a science, WELL they don't. imarriedmylawyer** is i*buy*authentic*items*only*not*fake, (marked as private) , so many other names too you would fall off your chair, bebestyle2007 copies your pics then sells it saying she paid into the hundreds of dollars for the item when she bought it from you! She just got caught doing that, cuz sellers got fed up with her stupidity. Seller Mel_3090 is mels_closet, she is in the shiller group, too. Bear in mind that these sellers have buyers names too, along with their hubbies, extended families, even their baby sitters. They just shill shill shill. Its more than obvious to see how these sellers are beating the system on ebay. When one of their shillers get stuck with the item, they don't pay and the seller files an UPI, the seller gets a credit for the item and relists it until some honest buyer comes along and bids, thinking they are the winner, when the whole time, it was shilled so high up. Ladies and Gents, educate yourself, stop getting robbed. These sellers are working together to pocket your money. Check instylewithbebe feedback and start looking at the bid history, you will see plainly that these bidders are the same people assigned to shill. The buyers just got to smart for this shilling stuff. instylewithbebe seller had to read this because now she is listing items only a few, at higher prices, it looks too obvious now. She kept her insertion fees way way down and made a huge profit on the tail end. They have destroyed and dispruted any and all of their competition. Come on, you can buy those items from bebe outlet stores for much much less. So who are they trying to fool? They meet people on other networks and con them into their ring of shillers. All these sellers need to be suspended for stealing and duping the innocent buyers. They undoubtedly took a course in this, sat down and made their game plan, put in motion and it worked. Well, it stops here. You will be caught. Nobody starts a 99 cent bid as soon as it is listed. Everybody knows to wait to the last hour or so. Can't instylewithbebe see that the bidding activity with this seller is visible to the public. You didn't figure on that one, did you? All instylewithbebe bidders have a high percentage of bidding activity with only that seller. These sellers need to stop helping your friends by shilling the bids. We got your method, the statistics prove it. You are the sellers that made ebay collapse from your greediness and non stop harassment to other sellers selling the same items or brands. Yellowmangobunny (buyer name) then sell it under brian3870. BUY it then will complain something is wrong with the item. A little later, you will see them selling it NWT and nothing is wrong with it. This is why I hate ebay. They must have a daily luncheon and set their objectives. They can't fool us anymore. We all know THE SHILLING ACTIVITY GOING ON WITH THE SELLERS/BUYERS. God forbid, if you try to sell what they are at a lower price, look out- they will come after you just to lie and give neg's, so your dsr's come down and you look bad. All of you should grow up, get a job and try to pull that with your employer. You will be caught as we are sending our findings to ebay, and everybody else we can think of. I think your fun is over. If that doesn't work, then we'll send it to the news media.

• Report this Comment On May 09, 2010, at 5:33 AM, ffdgh9 wrote:

Bidbay Auctions: Buy, Sell, No Fees!!! Tired of the Fee Hikes? and the game of "feebay" join www.bidbayauctions.com

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2010, at 5:02 AM, fromd2u wrote:

Ebay seller fromd2u is a negative giving machine to eliminate her competition she is an evil seller who tries to threaten you i say tries because she tried it with so many and then hides under her scabie infested bed. she ask questions try to get everything FREE then gives you a negative complains about shipping but she charges shipping that is so high FOR USED PERFUMES she is a crum seller with a rude attitude she calls your residence and talks tuff she tried it with me and mer her match she is a crazy lady who sits on her butt stinking chair picks her nose and schemes how to defraud other sellers do not be afraid of this nut

• Report this Comment On July 27, 2010, at 1:46 AM, izzy2010 wrote:

eBay makes everything so complex and frustrating. We came across this new site:

www.RateEbay.com

You can vent your frustrations and actually leave feedback for eBay (Positive, Negative or Neutral). At the time of this post, eBay's positive ratings are a low 16%. The feedback posted describes the many issues buyers & sellers face with eBay. Makes you quickly realize you’re not the only one with eBay isssues. Quite therapeutic to say the least!

• Report this Comment On September 26, 2010, at 5:25 AM, deweydog1919 wrote:

I was on feebay from the start.I made power seller when it meant something.I am now restricted and being shown the door with a 99.8% positive feedback.Name one company with 99.8% positive customer base. They have nickel dimed us to death with fees and more fees. I had a bum steal a hundred dollar item from me.Claimed he didn't get it.I insured it and he said he never received it yet no claim for the alleged "missing" item.This bum gave me negative feedback and I am sure all bad DSR (another knife to the heart of sellers) he even had the nerve to give my suppliers name in the negative feedback.I called feebay.The woman said fax us the insurance ticket and we will set things straight.Two weeks and nothing,I called back and they denied ever saying they would fix things. Meanwhile this bum that stole from me has a direct link in most of his listings that takes you to his website.This is against feebays stupid list of rules.I have turned him in dozens of times and he is still there selling his overpriced junk and still has a link to his website for sales off ebay..Check this conman out. His feebay name is bulldog20_2 If you can help me please report him.There is a link in every listing that says "report this item".People like him need to be shown the door instead of people like me who are victoms of these type of scamsman.

• Report this Comment On September 26, 2010, at 5:42 AM, deweydog1919 wrote:

Sorry, I almost forgot. If you are as sick of ebay as I am try this new site. www.bonanza.com no fees until you sell and then you pay 1/3 of what feebay would charge.This site is very easy to use unlike some others and they will import all of your feebay listings and feedback to their site and if for some strange reason you still want to deal with feebay the listings will still remain there.

• Report this Comment On September 29, 2010, at 5:39 PM, deweydog1919 wrote:

Do as I did.End all listings,close your store and re do your about me to let people know that you are still in business and will list any item you carry just for them.When a customer contacts you send them to your www.bonanza.com booth.You get the sale a good up and coming company gets their fair share and feebay gets just what they desirve. NOTHING !

• Report this Comment On December 08, 2011, at 4:50 PM, barterdown wrote:

I found a new website that is FREE for sellers 1 year.

BarterDown.com is great for Sellers to Make More Money and Buyers Save Money.

It is easy to use with great marketing tools and features for sellers to promote and sell products. www.barterdown.com

BD it today!

• Report this Comment On December 27, 2012, at 12:31 AM, netstrada wrote:

Dibuu Auctions are real Ebay competition offer free listening, ads, wanted ads and no final value fee - completly free market place which makes world friendly. Also as ebay feedback system let only buyers to leave negative feedbacks Dibuu.com use old fashion way to rates each other, buyer and seller is able to leave negative feedback. Buyer and seller has the same position instead of ebay buyer only protection. Dibuu.com allow digital contents to be listed. Gift Cards and other prepaid cards are permitted in unlimited quantity for free !

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 6:49 PM, truegether wrote:

Hi Guys,

I have read most of the posts here. I was a seller on ebay for almost 10 years before I gave up on ebay.

But I didn't give up completely. I decided to create something which people like you can use without dealing with all these issues. The site is called TrueGether.com and it went live a few days ago. It is completely free to use. And you don't need to deal with paypal either.

I was wondering if you would like to get involved and help build this site up. Without involvement of people like you we can not create a successful alternative to ebay.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have. We can also be reached via TrueGether support forums:https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/truegether-support

Thanks and hope to hear from you soon.

Prashant

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2013, at 6:58 PM, nazb wrote:

The biggest problems with eBay are that their policies make no sense.

E.g. Detailed seller ratings are anonymous, so sellers can't see which buyer gave them which rating. This allows buyers to be open and honest about their buying experience, enabling sellers to get a moire complete picture of their performance.

But, if the seller does not know who left the DSRs or what they did wrong, they cannot do anything about it! So, can somebody tell me what is the purpose of DSR?

Now, if it was just that the DSRs were for the sellers information only, visible to potential customers, but didn't have any direct impact, I wouldn't have much of an issue with it.

Or, if sellers were entitled to know who left the bad DSRs and there was a fair appeal process, this would also be fine. But, eBay do not feel that fairness is a good characteristic worth upholding.

If you have less than 400 sales over a rolling 3 month period, you are only allowed to have a maximum of 0.5% or 2 1 and 2 ratings in any of the four DSR categories over a 12 month period. This means you only need two bad customers over 12 months and eBay punishes you severely and gives you no right to give your side of the story.

I do not think there is any reasonable person on the planet who would consider such a policy to be fair. Also, if you have ever spoken with eBay customer services, you would realise how hypocritical it is given the unbelievably useless service they offer.

Few would disagree that the intellectual property rights of owners deserve to be protected. But, what about the right to free trade of others.

If eBay required rights owners to provide a resonable case of infringement, no problem. If eBay allowed the listings to remain in the case of a dispute, until the matter was settled by the courts, again no problem. If eBay removed both parties listings in the case of a dispute, until the matter was resolved, again no problem.

But, that would be the fair thing to do. And, we already know the level of interest that eBay has in fairness. Instead, what they do is remove any reported listing and give you an email address contact for the (alleged) rights owner. Why in the world would this (alleged) rights owner consent to you selling the items so that you can relist them on eBay. They have one less competitor to worry about.

It would seem that eBay could care less what the Courts of Law think either. In the case of Quads4Kids v Campbell [1006] WLLER (D) 162 (Oct) Mr Pomfrey stated:

"It is entirely wrong for owners of intellectual property rights to attempt to assert them without litigation, or without threat of litigation, in reply."

There is a whole article that goes into more detail here.

• Report this Comment On May 14, 2013, at 7:32 AM, GIJOEMUSTGO wrote:

:( Lately, other sellers are ruining EBAY.

I do not know why anyone buys from - BIGJJSTUDD. He is one of the most vile and disrespectful, entitled jerks

on EBAY.

When I asked him if he was the one creating fake accounts and bidding my auctions up sky high, and not paying, he basically attacked me verbally and promised to destroy me.

If you are any type of re-seller, he will block you form his auctions so it is tougher to catch on to his scams, then he will bid on your stuff over and over again.

How can EBAY allow zero feedback customers to continuously be created and ruin auctions and cost sellers money?