A Letter From David and Tom Gardner

The cat's out of the bag ... this was part of our 2011 April Fool's Day joke. Fool on!

To our friends, family, and the millions who make The Motley Fool the world's greatest investment community:

We hope you are standing with us today.

We suspect you've heard the difficult news that a disgruntled former employee of ours has forwarded to WikiLeaks documents that are private and confidential to The Motley Fool. You might be angry about it or embarrassed for us. But you shouldn't be.

Let us explain.

Throughout our 18-year history, The Motley Fool has championed the rights of individual investors. We've pushed the mutual fund industry for transparency. We've pursued equal rights for individual investors. And we've spotlighted the deceitful dealings by Wall Street's investment bankers (who make Bernie Madoff look like Shirley Temple in saddle shoes at a church picnic).

If there is one investing idea with which The Motley Fool is most closely identified, it's the notion that the best way to build wealth is to take a long-term buy-to-hold approach. Yet with today's leak, you now know that while we have espoused these virtues of long-term investing, we've been privately testing, deploying, and perfecting our internal short-term trading platform, ExcelsiorSpeedTrade900LX™.

We're sorry we didn't tell you sooner, but because we have always advocated for transparency, you can see all the leaked memos by clicking this link. But first, read on.

We must confess that we've been making the bloodiest of fortunes on our proprietary trading system. It makes high-frequency trading platforms look like horseflies stuck in honey. Whether or not we ever truly intended to share this news with the public, Wikileaks has forced our hand. And that could be very, very good news for you. Because now, you can join us.

Big leaks = Bigger profits!
We know the No. 1 question many must be asking now: "Guys, should a long-term investor like me make the switch to short-term trading? And if so, how?"

It's easy: With our help.

Today we are introducing ZippyTrade 2000TM, the easy-to-use consumer version of our ExcelsiorSpeedTrade900LX™ trading platform. You click a button, and our proprietary software does the rest. (You can find out all you need to know about how to earn quick profits with ZippyTrade 2000™ by clicking here.)

What you don't see in those leaked internal Fool documents (like this one) is how much money we made trading in and out of companies like ZZ Best, (OTC BB: ZBIC) a heart-thumping 227 times in a single afternoon! Heck, we had no idea what the company did -- we were too busy stuffing our profits in the walls of Fool Global HQ.

We're so confident that the ZippyTrade 2000TM trading system will dramatically increase your returns, we will reserve a FREE copy of the software for the first 100 Fools who email to tell us why they want it right now! (Independent, objective analysts at JDE Powders & Company believe this software package is worth between $500 and $50,000.) But you'd better act fast -- we may need to allot those copies for our preferred customers.

Time for a new message
Cynics may be wondering why we hid our short-term trading impulse all these years. And we could spend all day trying to answer them. The much more effective use of our time is to get you up and running with a free trial of our trading system today. Within 30 seconds of opening up the software, you'll get our top 60 buy alerts.

Tell us what you think!
We realize this is a lot to digest. But while our trading strategies may have changed, our policy of being honest with you throughout has not. It's true that we kept ZippyTrade 2000TM under wraps for awhile, but that was only to ensure quality-control and to make sure no one got the wrong idea.

We couldn't be more excited about this news, and we couldn't be more optimistic about the future -- both for our company and your own investment portfolio. In a way, it's time to say thank you, WikiLeaks.

Please email us to share your thoughts or learn more about short-term trading.

Foolishly,
David & Tom Gardner

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 4:51 PM, chilero wrote:

I never buy the first edition of any software. I'll wait for V2 of Zippytrade 2000. By then it'll probably bring in triple the profits.

I'll spend the next few days searching for a nice private island to buy with all my future cash.

Hopefully the MF will use that mountain of cash that it has made and put in a competing bid to aquire Canada. I would rather have the MF controlling the country than Apple.

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 5:26 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

I don't understand this article at all. Why would someone go to WikiLeaks to send them Motley Fool information?

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 5:34 PM, sagolfer wrote:

Forget Zippytrade fiasco. Motley Crew taking over Motley Fool that's the real news no one is talking about in public.

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 5:38 PM, FoolSolo wrote:

APRIL FOOLS!!!

Good one!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 5:39 PM, FoolSolo wrote:

April fool!

Good one!!!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 5:45 PM, swedewoods1 wrote:

Today is 1 April and I think this letter from David and Tom gardner us their tongue in cheek, "April Fool" on us. Do you agree,Yes, No?

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 5:52 PM, swedewoods1 wrote:

Read your letter down to," your making the bloodiest of fortunes" and decided it was an April Fool's letter. Posted my opinion, then went back up to read entire letter, and laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes, trying to read the entire letter. Good job, very, funny! Swedewoods1

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 6:38 PM, cbcon2 wrote:

OMG! I am so excited about ZippyTrade 2000! I get so tired looking at all those numbers and ratios, P/Es and all that stuff. I just want to click my mouse and get rich!

To prepare, I've had my computer installed in the bathroom with a microwave and refrigerator! Now I'll never be interrupted! Thank you, you wonderful Fools!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 6:49 PM, rlawsondds wrote:

I have rarely seen so much effort put into an April Fools Joke - obviously you guys don't do anything halffast! Keep up the good work (and play)

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 6:57 PM, BackInTMF wrote:

I bet, TMF made (will make??) more money on ZippyTrade2000 than what they made in their entire existence.

Thanks Foolish bros for your great sarcastic wits !!!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 7:45 PM, justanotherloser wrote:

Well I fell for it. Sent in my request and everything.

I'm not just a Fool...I'm an idiot!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 7:48 PM, WABAC wrote:

Well, I did not realize that my proprietary investing 'system' had gotten out; I better see some royalties, or the Fool will have another problem on it's hands!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 11:31 PM, cherylcm wrote:

EITHER THIS IS AN APRIL FOOL'S JOKE OR THE BROS. HAVE STARTED RAISING THEIR OWN PRIVATE STASH AND SAMPLING THE MERCHANDISE....GOOD ONE - YOU HAD ME GOING AT FIRST!

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 11:45 PM, kinosternon wrote:

Why isn't there a ZippyTrade app for smartphone? I'd really like to pile on those profits that much faster and conveniently. Nonetheless, I'm telling everyone I know about this--it must be some great software if it's from the Fool..

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2011, at 11:55 PM, Computerjockey wrote:

Will ZippyTrade run on my VIC20?

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 12:22 AM, mandrake5 wrote:

I am still trying to figure out how to run this app on my fax machine! Did anybody succeed doing that?

[Good joke :) Keep up the good work]

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 12:59 AM, stevesiegel wrote:

If it sounds to good to be true, then it most likely is.

An even better April fools is to write down the phone number of your local coroner and the name Myra Mains. Then instruct the joke recipient to call the phone number (not knowing that it is the coroner) and ask for Myra Mains.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 1:39 AM, Seathrun1 wrote:

That was great! Shoved his monitor into the trash...

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 1:42 AM, Seathrun1 wrote:

Okay, just looked at the ZippyTrade ad. Please, please, please tell me you're making the T-shirts. I want one!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 11:50 AM, Seathrun1 wrote:

Okay, just read the zippy trade ad again, including the fine print. Roflmao, deforestation...uninstall browser and format hard drive...please drink responsibly...awesome!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 1:35 PM, GarlicEater7 wrote:

Great job on the software FOOLS! I just made $12.82 while driving to work using my laptop, while texting, going 95mph in the commuter lane by myself! Thanks for all the profits!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 2:14 PM, jwhit57 wrote:

Heh! I'll admit it, you had me right up to "ZippyTrade2000"!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 3:37 PM, martinedeboodt wrote:

I am a bit saddened to see that the big fool cheeses are waisting their time on inventing jokes. Until now I envisaged them working 24/7, bend over K-X's and other boring stuff to extract and subsequently provide us the good advise. Another illusion I guess.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 6:48 PM, kvatchik wrote:

I just got the copy, Great job guys,

I wonder how to disable a popup banner with FOOL's AD, it is poping up every 3 sec, and blocks the interface?

How it suppose to help me? I can make a lot of trades in between.

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 8:05 PM, marckhway wrote:

I thought you were gong to say that my return on Motley Fool Alpha was just a joke and I can get my money back!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 8:25 PM, DelKlingon wrote:

I actually liked the 2009 TARP handout better. I fell for that one BIG time! But you really covered all your bases with the realistic e-mail traffic and memos. Thanks for the fun!

• Report this Comment On April 02, 2011, at 9:21 PM, SnowLeopard1518 wrote:

This is why I want ZippyTrade2000 right this second:

Since it will make me rich without lifting a finger, I shall need the funds for remedial finger lifting therapy. I expect to be veeeeeeeeeeery rich. I currently have 10 fingers, well 8 really and 2 thumbs...but I have 10 toes I am willing to also not lift! You know, why bother with the software. Just send riches.

Kind regards in effortless wealth,

Yours truly,

Sincerely,

Respectfully,

Yours,

Charles Ponzi

• Report this Comment On April 03, 2011, at 10:59 AM, MaxDiesel wrote:

Will it run on my Commodore 64? I'd hate to upgrade just to make money.

• Report this Comment On April 04, 2011, at 1:05 PM, clydejazz wrote:

When did MF move their headquarters to Nigeria?

They should have told me about it beforehand, but, oh well, I like most of their products, so I'll probably buy this one, too. Hope they accept U.S. dollars in Africa.

• Report this Comment On April 08, 2011, at 1:17 PM, Cressida wrote:

So good so good, so good....and thats just for all the comments

Love the one signed

Charles Ponzi

.......the guy with 8 fingers, 2 thumbs and 10 toes.

"just send the riches" (love that)

Thanks guys, and especially Dave, Tom and who knows-how-many-others that worked on this one.

Yeah, Fool On, Friends

Cress

By the way, Bernanke keeps printing anyway, and that's no hoax.

• Report this Comment On April 08, 2011, at 3:58 PM, wheelsucker1 wrote:

Can I get that on beta?

• Report this Comment On April 09, 2011, at 12:35 AM, NoVaAmPro wrote:

Love it, came to the party late, but had a great chuckle over the "disclaimer" I was expressly instructed not to read. Actually fell for the TARP joke 2 years ago (if only for a day...). Worth the effort, what's the point of making a pile of money methodically over a lifetime if we can't have a little fun every now and then? =)

• Report this Comment On April 09, 2011, at 12:13 PM, realself wrote:
  • Report this Comment On April 09, 2011, at 5:10 PM, mag321 wrote:

I was really fooled and so mad and disappointed at first! After having time to digest it made me just adore this service more. I love the offbeat sense of humor.

• Report this Comment On April 09, 2011, at 7:58 PM, olorinn3 wrote:

Add me to the list. I fell hook, line and sinker. When i got the email back to my acceptance, I laughed my butt off. I alway love a good laugh.

• Report this Comment On April 09, 2011, at 8:08 PM, NOTvuffett wrote:

Everybody knows that if the Fool was serious about a high frequency trading platform it would be called GadgetTrade3K, and that there would be an annoying 'agent' named Alice telling you "that wasn't a socially responsible trade", lol.

• Report this Comment On June 14, 2011, at 10:10 PM, TMFtheEdge wrote:

EMail from Tina Ausplauderer -- just realized that "Ausplauderer" is german for whistle-blower ...