Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Why Cardiovascular Systems Will Keep Pulling Back

Based on the aggregated intelligence of 180,000-plus investors participating in Motley Fool CAPS, the Fool's free investing community, medical device company Cardiovascular Systems (NASDAQ: CSII  ) has received a distressing two-star ranking.

With that in mind, let's take a closer look at Cardiovascular Systems and see what CAPS investors are saying about the stock right now.

Cardiovascular Systems facts

Headquarters (founded)

St. Paul, Minn. (1989)

Market Cap

$359.2 million


Health care equipment

Trailing-12-Month Revenue

$92.7 million


CEO David Martin (since 2007)
CFO Laurence Betterley (since 2008)

Return on Equity (average, past 3 years)



$29.2 million / $15.1 million


Boston Scientific

Sources: S&P Capital IQ and Motley Fool CAPS.

On CAPS, 25% of the 16 members who have rated Cardiovascular Systems believe the stock will underperform the S&P 500 going forward.

Just last week, one of those Fools, jed71, succinctly summed up the bear case for our community:

My personal opinion is [Cardiovascular Systems] just got the better end of the deal on the recent share dilution. Over the past few months, there has been big run up in price, which the company was able to take advantage of by issuing new shares at $17.60 per share (further diluting current shareholders by approx 10%).

It also looks like insiders have been selling shares and not really accumulating any further shares at this level. While some of these sales might be "scheduled events", it does not offer much confidence toward the current share valuation.

I am betting those who participated in this new offering are going to be vastly disappointed in a few months when gravity sets in.

While you can certainly make quick gains in speculative small-caps, the best investing approach is to choose great companies and stick with them for the long term. The Motley Fool's free report "3 Stocks That Will Help You Retire Rich" names stocks that could help you build long-term wealth and retire well, along with some winning wealth-building strategies that every investor should be aware of. Click here now to keep reading.

Read/Post Comments (1) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On April 24, 2013, at 4:38 PM, tbone4510 wrote:

    If only 25% of th3 16 people think that CSII will under perform, does this mean that the other 75% think that the stock will out perform or equal the S&P 500 going forward. If so, why isn't your heading the positive rather than the negative?

Add your comment.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2379511, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/28/2016 3:01:42 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 5 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,228.30 133.47 0.74%
S&P 500 2,159.93 13.83 0.64%
NASD 5,305.71 48.22 0.92%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

9/27/2016 4:00 PM
CSII $23.06 Up +0.06 +0.26%
Cardiovascular Sys… CAPS Rating: *
BSX $23.72 Down -0.01 -0.04%
Boston Scientific CAPS Rating: ***
COV.DL $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Covidien CAPS Rating: *****
MDT $86.67 Up +0.54 +0.63%
Medtronic CAPS Rating: *****