What to Do if You Can't Finish Your Taxes by April 15

Source: The Motley Fool.

April 15, the deadline for filing your tax return, is fast approaching. Although the deadline may seem set in stone, it's possible to get an extension for filing your individual tax return. The IRS will grant an extension in most any circumstance so long as you file the correct paperwork by April 15.

Getting an extension is fairly simple, but it does have a few rules.

Do the paperwork
The IRS grants a six-month extension to the filing deadline to people who submit Form 4868 (link opens PDF) by April 15. The form is called "Application for Automatic Extension of Time to File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return," and you can find it online. The new deadline for people who file for an extension is Oct. 15. Obtaining an extension is a painless process; you do not have to provide a reason for the extension, as it is granted automatically. The IRS will not contact you if your extension is accepted; you will only hear from the IRS if the extension is denied.

When you eventually file your taxes, you do not need to attach a copy of Form 4868 to your tax return; your return and the extension request are filed separately. However, if you submitted a payment toward your tax bill with your extension request, you do need to report that on your taxes. Form 4868 (linked above) tells you on which line to report your payment. For example, if you file your taxes using Form 1040, report your extension payment in line 68.

If you do not submit paperwork on time, the IRS charges a "late filing penalty." The penalty is only charged if you file your taxes after the due date (or, if you file for an extension, after the new, extended deadline). The IRS typically levies 5% of the amount due for each month that your return is late, with a maximum charge of 25%. A return submitted more than 60 days after the deadline will have a minimum penalty of $135 or the balance of the tax due on your return -- whichever is smaller.

Make a payment
When requesting an extension, you need to know that you are only getting an extension for filing your tax return, not for paying taxes you owe. It is important to accurately estimate your tax burden and submit a payment (if necessary) by April 15 so that you do not have to pay interest or late fees on top of your taxes.

If your tax payment is late, then there are, of course, late fees. This is a separate penalty from the late filing charge. Failure to pay taxes by April 15 results in a penalty of 0.5% of any tax not paid, and the penalty is applied for each month after the deadline. Even if you have completed the appropriate extension paperwork by April 15, the IRS can still charge a penalty for taxes not received by then. If you are able to demonstrate a reasonable cause for not paying your return on time, the IRS may waive this fee. Attach an explanation to your tax return. Do not include an explanation with Form 4868.

Special circumstances
If you live outside the U.S. or are serving in a combat zone, there are special rules for receiving an extension. Taxpayers who live outside of the United States automatically get two extra months to file returns and pay any taxes owed without filing Form 4868. Members of the military who are deployed outside of the United States receive an automatic six-month extension for filing their taxes. You can learn more about the deadlines for those serving in the Armed Forces here

Take advantage of this little-known government tax rule
Recent tax increases have affected nearly every American taxpayer. But with the right planning, you can take steps to take control of your taxes and potentially even lower your tax bill. In our brand-new special report "The IRS Is Daring You to Make This Investment Now!," you'll learn about the simple strategy to take advantage of a little-known IRS rule. Don't miss out on advice that could help you cut taxes for decades to come. Click here to learn more.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (0)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2891348, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/3/2015 12:37:02 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Jody Bennett

Today's Market

updated 3 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 16,351.38 293.03 1.82%
S&P 500 1,948.86 35.01 1.83%
NASD 4,749.98 113.87 2.46%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes