Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Chevron's New Downstream Tricks

We may not ever again have another new refinery built in the U.S., but, if Chevron (NYSE: CVX  ) has its way, there'll be new technology available for the nation's -- and indeed, the world's -- existing facilities.

Heretofore, it's been challenging to turn heavy crude into transportation fuels, such as gasoline, jet fuel, or diesel. By heavy crude, I'm referring to the type that comes from places such as Venezuela's tar sands.

But in an experiment that's in the early stages at its Pascagoula, Mississippi, refinery, Chevron may change the paradigm for refining the thicker crude. In an initial 3,500 barrel-per-day pre-commercial plant, the company will apply a technology called Vacuum Resid Slurry Hydrocracking, which it hopes will substantially improve its ability to milk the most product from the thick crude.

Heretofore, the yield from heavy crude has been limited to about 80%. The other 20% takes the form of heavy coke. But Chevron hopes its new technology will increase the conversion rate from feed stock to about 100%, or even 120%.

So while it'll probably be a cold day in Venezuela before a new refinery is constructed in the U.S., the industry isn't standing still. A number of companies are adding capacity to or are upgrading existing units, including Royal Dutch Shell (NYSE: RDS-A  ) (NYSE: RDS-B  ) , Total (NYSE: TOT  ) , and BP (NYSE: BP  ) .

But I'm especially intrigued by the new technology that Chevron appears to be developing. Its application solely to the conversion of Canadian synthetic crude would be meaningful, given that nation's role as the lead provider of imported oil into the U.S. Yes, it appears I now have yet another reason pay attention to Chevron.

For related Foolishness:

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (3)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 596748, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/23/2016 7:49:39 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 1 day ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,145.71 -16.64 -0.09%
S&P 500 2,141.16 -0.18 -0.01%
NASD 5,257.40 15.57 0.30%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/21/2016 4:00 PM
CVX $101.30 Down -0.57 -0.56%
Chevron CAPS Rating: ****
BP $36.25 Up +0.20 +0.55%
BP CAPS Rating: ****
TOT $48.28 Down -0.26 -0.54%
Total CAPS Rating: ****