After last week's unprecedented events in the financial markets, the U.S. government stepped in over the weekend to offer forth a $700 billion bailout package as a means of shoring up our financial markets.
While the notion of government intervention may not raise an eyebrow now -- not after JPMorgan Chase's (NYSE: JPM ) dance with Bear Stearns, Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM ) , Freddie Mac (NYSE: FRE ) , AIG (NYSE: AIG ) , Lehman Brothers, and now Washington Mutual (NYSE: WM ) -- $700 billion is a figure so large as to seem unbelievable. But superinvestors Warren Buffett and Bill Gross endorse the idea. So does the current president. So do both presidential candidates.
But what does it all mean? To help make sense of it all, and to help assess the impact on us Main Street investors, we present you with analysis, insight, and even a call to action from Motley Fool writers and analysts:
A call to action!
- Tom Gardner, Scott Schedler, and Bill Mann: Tell Congress: We Demand Equity
What this means for your portfolio:
- Dan Caplinger: Is This the End of Investing?
- Morgan Housel: Bad Luck for Good Banks
- Alex Dumortier: The Truth About Naked Shorts
$700 billion, but is it a bailout?
- David Lee Smith: Some Tough Questions on the Bailout
- Morgan Housel: Can We Afford All of These Bailouts?
- Chuck Saletta: What This Bailout Means to You
- Alyce Lomax: Fool Blog: Paulson's Mother of All Boondoggles
- Alyce Lomax: Bailout: The Sucker Punch
Can Buffett resuscitate Wall Street?
- Morgan Housel on Buffett's Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS ) deal: Buffett Swarms In
- Mac Greer, LouAnn DiCosmo, and Tim Hanson: Fool Video: Buffett Buys. Should You?
- Morgan Housel: The Death of Wall Street
- Andy Louis-Charles: A Goldman Opportunity
Prelude to a collapse:
- Relive last week's craziness: The Biggest Financial Story of the Past 50 Years
- Anand Chokkavelu: Fool Poll: The Biggest Financial Shock of the Week
- Anand Chokkavelu: Fool Blog: Last Week's Top 10 Financial Shocks