9 Reasons I'd Never Invest in Annaly Capital Management, Inc.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I feel I must. In my opinion, Annaly Capital Management (NYSE: NLY  ) should be avoided by all but the least risk-averse investors.

There are a number of reasons for this, but all of them coalesce around two issues. First, it's my opinion that Annaly's management has taken inexcusable liberties to enrich themselves at the expense of shareholders. Its recent decision to externalize the mortgage REIT's management to a private company wholly owned by said executives is just one of many examples.

And second, I believe the economic forces which allowed Annaly to outperform in the years following the financial crisis are over. The decades-long trend of declining interest rates has given way to a rebound in borrowing costs that will both increase Annaly's cost of funds and decrease the value of its portfolio of mortgage-backed securities.

In short, it seems to me that Annaly's best days are almost certainly in the rearview mirror. It's with this in mind, in turn, that I decided to lay out the nine biggest reasons I'd never buy shares in the high-yielding mortgage REIT. To see the complete list, simply scroll through the presentation below.

Looking for high-yielding stocks you can trust?
If so, then I encourage you to check out our latest investor-alert on a group of high-yielding stocks that pay massive dividends without exposing investors to undue risk. To access this valuable list instantly and for free, simply click here now.

 


Read/Post Comments (7) | Recommend This Article (21)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On July 01, 2014, at 3:40 PM, EugeneSpud wrote:

    What's to say. A couple of days ago you were pushing tNLY. Now you are giving so called reasons not to buy it. It makes everything else you say suspect. Thanks to you all those poor souls that took your advice and bought NLY a couple of days ago are now loosing money because you bad mouthed it today. What a bunch of fakes!

  • Report this Comment On July 01, 2014, at 3:46 PM, EugeneSpud wrote:

    What can I say? You suggested NLY was maybe a good by a couple of days ago. Now it's not worth looking at. It doesn't say much for your stock information, and clearly hurts all those poor souls that bought on your information a couple of days ago. In my book you guys are a bunch of quacks and fakes.

  • Report this Comment On July 01, 2014, at 3:50 PM, JohnMaxfield wrote:

    EugeneSpud,

    Here's my last article about NLY that it appears you're referring to:

    http://www.fool.com/investing/dividends-income/2014/06/21/he...

    It explains why NLY deserves to be trading for a discount to book value.

    I also encourage you to check out any of the hyperlinks in the current article, which will bring you to more former articles of mine on NLY.

    John

  • Report this Comment On July 01, 2014, at 6:33 PM, EugeneSpud wrote:

    I was speaking of all articles about NLY that appear on the fools website. Taken together they speak out of both sides of the mouth, which is misleading to say the least.

  • Report this Comment On July 01, 2014, at 7:22 PM, JohnMaxfield wrote:

    Your point is well-taken.

    As you've noticed, we don't have a uniform position on NLY (or any other stock). In fact, I'm one of the few that's staunchly in the bearish camp, if you will, when it comes to NLY.

    The reason for the lack of uniformity in opinions is simply because we have a lot of writers and analysts who don't think alike. While I know that can be frustrating at times for the reader, I think it speaks to our efforts at intellectual honesty and independence.

    With respect to my position on NLY, I believe the objective evidence (presented in the slideshow here and in former articles of mine) speaks for itself.

    Either way, my apologies again for the confusion!

    John

  • Report this Comment On July 02, 2014, at 2:52 PM, ronbeasley wrote:

    Your comments about Chimera are misleading, which is typical of Motley Fool posts. You either don't understand what is going on or you are intentionally misleading readers to try to convince them to buy your publications. Chimera did have an accounting debacle, but it was solely about non-cash charges in a very confusing environment. There was no impact on book value or cash flow. Billionaire Leon Cooperman, who has a superb track record, owns over 7% of Chimera and recently upped his stake. he also filed a 13D, which means he is working cooperatively with management. Cooperman's ethics are above reproach.

  • Report this Comment On July 02, 2014, at 10:20 PM, Yeababy2 wrote:

    Spot on about the cronyism and nepotism. How is it that the "core group" can earn insane salaries at the ages of 25 yrs old hence by shuffling paper spread trades while the back office workers barely get minimum wage? In a company of less than 40 employees. I heard of workers coming in till almost midnight and on weekends for a $60,000 salary and a 13th check bonus. Also some "core group" management hastily left the company this year?

    Shenanigans!This is precisely what is wrong with Wall Street. When a company like this can make insane amounts of money guaranteed by our governments departments like Fannie and Freddy. Big house of cards.

Add your comment.

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 3009683, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/22/2014 6:33:19 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Apple's next smart device (warning, it may shock you

Apple recently recruited a secret-development "dream team" to guarantee its newest smart device was kept hidden from the public for as long as possible. But the secret is out. In fact, ABI Research predicts 485 million of this type of device will be sold per year. But one small company makes Apple's gadget possible. And its stock price has nearly unlimited room to run for early-in-the-know investors. To be one of them, and see Apple's newest smart gizmo, just click here!


Advertisement