Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



PepsiCo Counts Carbs

It started as a humble drink to aid digestion over 100 years ago and has been through both boom and bust. Bankrupted in 1923 and 1931, PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP  ) has made quite a comeback, with 1.72 billion shares outstanding and a market cap of $79.4 billion.

Pepsi has battled stiff competition for market share over the years, most notably from Coca-Cola (NYSE: KO  ) . However, its Frito-Lay division is facing the most recent challenges from the popular high-protein Atkins diet and other low-carb crazes. An estimated 59 million adults in the U.S. are currently controlling their carbs, taking a sizeable bite out of the snack food market -- not to mention, testing Pepsi's flexibility and ingenuity.

Frito-Lay, which accounted for 57% of Pepsi's 2002 sales, has risen to the challenge, though. The snack maker recently introduced Doritos and Tostitos chips boasting half the carbohydrates of the regular chips. The secret? The new chips have less corn, and more soybeans and fiber. The skeptics among you are probably considering eating the bag the chips come in, instead of the chips themselves, as a tastier low-carb alternative. What good are chips without fat and carbs?

However, there are good reasons for the investor to consider Pepsi -- even without the fat and carbs. The Atkins diet may not be here to stay. Dieters tend to be fickle and fads can disappear as fast as a bowl of corn chips at a Superbowl party.

The hard-core snack food enthusiasts, who tend to be young and less concerned with weight, continue to put away 80% of the Frito Lay "fun food" products. The other 20%, who strayed for reasons of diet, may be lured back into the fold if the low carb alternatives prove to be tasty, and later, as the diet trend fades.

Pepsi, with a price-to-earnings ratio of 22, trades at a lower multiple than other consumer blue chips. For example, Procter & Gamble (NYSE: PG  ) is currently trading at a trailing P/E of 25 and Coke's is 28.

Pepsi's current dividend yield is 1.4%, and the board alluded to considering a dividend increase in the spring. Pepsi's also solidly free cash flow positive. Finally, Pepsi has taken several shareholder friendly actions: it's expensing options, limiting the use of options, and revising the compensation packages to make them based more on performance.

There are many reasons for the investor to consider indulging in Pepsi, even if it's not on the menu. After all, Pepsi's been around for 100 years, while fad diets come and go.

J. Graham owns none of the stocks mentioned in this article.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (0)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 505329, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/28/2016 8:36:12 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 11 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,169.68 -29.65 -0.16%
S&P 500 2,133.04 -6.39 -0.30%
NASD 5,215.97 -34.29 -0.65%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/27/2016 4:00 PM
KO $42.12 Down -0.32 -0.75%
Coca-Cola CAPS Rating: ****
PEP $106.63 Down -0.44 -0.41%
PepsiCo CAPS Rating: ****
PG $86.58 Down -0.82 -0.94%
Procter and Gamble CAPS Rating: ****