Quick Take: The Best Part of the Tribune Deal

Be grateful, Cubs fans. Now that real estate magnate Sam Zell has announced his intent to sell your team and keep the rest of ailing media giant Tribune Co. (NYSE: TRB  ) , you have hope. Take it from a Yankees fan.

Rewind with me to 1964. After decades of private ownership, an 80% stake in the Bronx Bombers was sold to CBS (NYSE: CBS  ) that year for $11.2 million. The remaining 20% would be purchased soon after.

And that, in many ways, would pronounce the end of the Yankees' dynasty at the time. From 1964 to 1972 the Yankees would win just 50.5% of their games and produce just one American League pennant -- in 1964. But they would lose that year's World Series to the promising Cardinals in seven games.

Eight years later, in January of 1973, the occasionally loathsome George Steinbrenner and a team of limited partners bought the Yankees back from CBS. Winning returned with him four years later, in the 1977 World Series.

Color me unsurprised. Baseball, even though it sometimes seems like it, isn't a business -- it's a league. Winning teams aren't driven by a profit motive in the same way that the best companies are. They're instead driven by an insatiable need to win. That's what Steinbrenner had when he bought the Yanks and it's why he's still a free-spender today.

So, again, be grateful, Cubs fans. Zell isn't committed to spending the capital required to help you win. At least you know, and you can ask him -- or plead with him -- to sell to someone who will.

Do you agree? Disagree? Let me know.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers watched most of the Yankees' opening day victory over Tampa Bay. He hopes fans don't forget that A-Rod helped to manufacture the winning run before he crushed a late two-run bomb. Tim didn't own shares in any of the companies mentioned in this article at the time of publication. The Motley Fool's disclosure policy likes little ball more than the long ball.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (0)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 524985, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/27/2016 11:01:25 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 1 hour ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,169.68 -29.65 -0.16%
S&P 500 2,133.04 -6.39 -0.30%
NASD 5,215.97 -34.29 -0.65%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/27/2016 4:00 PM
CBS $56.41 Down -0.37 -0.65%
CBS CAPS Rating: ***