Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Colossal Growth, Hefty Dividend

Whether it's learning to drive a stick shift or jumping out of an airplane, the first time is always the hardest. The same can be said for corrections in a long-term secular bull market -- like the one we're in for commodities.

The deep correction that struck coal shares recently was the first major pause in what had been a long bull run. Still, with shares of market leaders like Arch Coal (NYSE: ACI  ) , Massey Energy (NYSE: MEE  ) , and Consol Energy (NYSE: CNX  ) all dropping nearly 30% from recent highs, this correction has undoubtedly shaken the resolve of many a coal bull.

If second-quarter results from Fording Canadian Coal Trust (NYSE: FDG  ) are any indication, investors may soon be surprised to learn how much of the storied rise was actually grounded in realistic earnings expectations. Fording owns royalties from a 60% interest in the Elk Valley coal project, while operating partner Teck Cominco (NYSE: TCK  ) owns the remaining 40%.

The numbers from Fording are magnificent. The company achieved a 252% increase in net earnings to $373 million. Although the volume of coal sales increased only slightly, revenue nearly doubled to $817 million, thanks to a rough doubling of realized prices to $204 a tonne. Reassuring the shaken coal investor that this stellar quarter was no fluke, the company revealed that its 2008 contract price averaged across all coal types will be $275 per tonne.

Perhaps this look at Fording's breakout quarter will prompt some Fools to reevaluate their own outlook for coal stocks. The combination of a terrific mid-term growth outlook and a 12% dividend makes Fording Canadian Coal Trust an easy recommendation for further research. Another favorite of mine is Alpha Natural Resources (NYSE: ANR  ) , which claims 21% of the U.S. metallurgical coal market. The sell-off in shares of Alpha following the recent bid by Cleveland-Cliffs (NYSE: CLF  ) has created what could be an enticing entry point.

Further Foolishness:

The "Coal" tag within the Motley Fool CAPS community lists 21 coal companies. Find out what other investors are saying about the stocks you're watching, or share your Foolish thoughts with us. CAPS is free and fun!

Fool contributor Christopher Barker captains yachts and writes about stocks. He can also be found blogging actively and acting Foolishly within the CAPS community under the username TMFSinchiruna. He owns shares of Cleveland-Cliffs, Massey Energy, Arch Coal, and Teck Cominco. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (7)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 693211, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/23/2016 10:39:11 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 1 day ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,145.71 -16.64 -0.09%
S&P 500 2,141.16 -0.18 -0.01%
NASD 5,257.40 15.57 0.30%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

12/31/1969 7:00 PM
ACIIQ $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Arch Coal, Inc. CAPS Rating: *
ANRZQ $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Alpha Natural Reso… CAPS Rating: **
CLF $6.01 Down -0.08 -1.31%
Cliffs Natural Res… CAPS Rating: ***
CNX $17.41 Down -0.69 -3.81%
CONSOL Energy CAPS Rating: ***
FDG $74.51 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Fording Canadian C… CAPS Rating: ***
MEE.DL $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Massey Energy Comp… CAPS Rating: ***
TCK $20.50 Up +0.17 +0.84%
Teck Resources CAPS Rating: ***