January 9, 2009
Welcome to the Second Annual Foolies. All right, it's technically the "Fool Awards," but I'm trying to start a trend here!
We'll be looking back on a miserable year and voting on the best ... even if "the best" is occasionally just a nice way of saying "the worst."
Your votes will determine the winners in our 10 categories, and settle important debates like:
- Could Alan Mulally of Ford (NYSE: F ) or John Thain of Merrill Lynch (now part of Bank of America (NYSE: BAC ) ) really be the best CEO?
- Was Iceland's meltdown a bigger surprise than JPMorgan Chase's (NYSE: JPM ) Bear Stearns hug?
- Better prognosticator: John "More money than Hank" Paulson, or Meredith "Wall Street will go down, and it will go down hard" Whitney?
- Which is the more Foolish product: Nintendo's (OTC BB: NTDOY.PK) Wii Fit, or Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL ) iPhone App Store? Or will it be the Snuggie?
- Will Warren Buffett and Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-A ) (NYSE: BRK-B ) win four of the 10 awards, the way they did last year? (Spoiler alert: No ... we limited them to one category: Must-Read of the Year).
Without further ado, here are this year's Fool Award nominees: