The Top 10 Recession Stocks

One year ago, when signs were starting to point to a recession, my colleague John Reeves and I compiled a list of the previous recession's top 10 stocks to discover any patterns that would help our investing this time around. That list provided a number of fascinating insights, some of which we had expected, while others surprised us.

While their names may have changed from a year ago, the general lessons remain the same.

Our screen looked for domestic and Canadian stocks that were valued above $250 million and traded on major exchanges -- stocks the individual American investor would have been likely to actually buy.

Drum roll, please ...
The top 10 performers since the start of the last recession are listed below, with their performances during the recession listed in the fourth column:

Company

683%

Range Resources

Oil & Gas Exploration

$298

(24%)

650%

Data from Capital IQ, a division of Standard & Poor's.
* Duration of recession, according to the National Bureau of Economic Research.

Every one of the top 10 stocks was either a small or mid cap. This shouldn't be surprising, as small caps not only outperform during recessions, but are also overrepresented among the highest-performing stocks in general.

Last year, we were surprised that three of the top 10 stocks hailed from the energy sector -- conventional wisdom, after all, holds that energy companies would be hurt by falling demand during a downturn. This year, two energy stocks remain on the list, while technology stocks have the most representation.

Given that these computer-related firms were pummeled during the Nasdaq crash, it wouldn't have seemed the most likely area for investors to have bet on. For instance, look at the pre-recession (January 2000 to February 2001) returns for those three companies:

• Apple: -64%
  • Priceline: -95%
  • McAfee: -75%

The collapse of the Internet bubble made it a brutal time for many high-tech companies, so investors were justifiably panicked. But those that sold or were too afraid to buy missed out on incredible long-term growth stories.

But back to that table above. What are the major lessons from the top 10 stocks since the last recession?

1. Today's "high-tech" companies
Just as three of the top 10 recession stocks hailed from a beaten-down sector (technology), we shouldn't be surprised if there are a select few financials that will outperform over the next eight years. Apple and Priceline posted losses in 2001, so, based on a casual glance at their financials, it was undoubtedly difficult to separate them from the countless tech companies that went bust. Similarly, there will be winners amid today's beaten-down financial stocks, but to pick the right ones, you'll need a rock-solid understanding of the business, accounting statements, and management team.

2. No time for timing
It's very difficult to accurately time sector bets. During downturns, many investors flee to "recession-resistant" industries and firms -- for example, well-run conglomerates like General Electric (NYSE: GE  ) , utilities such as Exelon (NYSE: EXC  ) , and beverage makers like PepsiCo (NYSE: PEP  ) . It's not necessarily a bad idea to allocate somewhat defensively, but the cleverest investors don't throw all their money into a small number of industries with the expectation that they will be able to reallocate to bull market favorites right before everyone else does.

Over the past year, each of the aforementioned defensive stocks and industries underperformed Home Depot (NYSE: HD  ) , McDonald's, and AutoZone as well as their respective industries -- home supply, restaurants, and auto retail (of all things). In addition to the unlikely energy and tech winners from the lists above, this surprise underscores just how unpredictable the market is in the short term, and thus how difficult it is to make accurate sector bets, much less to time them appropriately.

3. Still no time for timing
It's also very difficult to correctly time individual stock picks. Professors Barber and Odean confirmed this point in a massive study of more than 66,000 household brokerage accounts. The duo concluded that "overconfidence can explain high trading levels ... [which is] hazardous to your wealth."

According to their extensive data, as trading activity increased, performance declined, with the most active traders underperforming the average household by 5 percentage points annually!

That's why when John Bogle recently visited us at Fool HQ he remarked that the first question each of us must ask ourselves is, "Am I an investor, or am I a speculator?" Speculators waste their energies trying to forecast short-term price movements. Investors recognize that it's impossible to know when the market will turn, so they focus on minimizing transaction costs and buying great businesses to own for the long term.

How to invest in recessions
The list above, along with the examples of the savviest investors (Buffett, Marty Whitman, Chuck Royce) suggest that the smart thing to do right now is to continue to invest in great companies at reasonable prices. The market could remain volatile and even irrational in the short run, so it makes sense to gradually add money (assuming you don't need it for the next three to five years) to the strongest companies across a variety of sectors.

That's our philosophy at Motley Fool Stock Advisor, where we focus on selecting stocks that we'd be comfortable holding for the long term. Despite launching in the midst of the last bear market, our average pick is beating the S&P 500 by more than 29 percentage points.

To read about the stocks we like for new money right now, click here for a 30-day free guest pass -- there's no obligation to subscribe.

Ilan Moscovitz owns shares of Apple, which, along with Priceline.com, is a Motley Fool Stock Advisor selection. Strayer is a former Stock Advisor selection. Home Depot is an Inside Value pick. PepsiCo is an Income Investor recommendation. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2009, at 10:06 PM, universe1 wrote:

I am distressed by the emails you send tha promise a recommendation for immediate investing. After reading overly long presntations, the promisse is not fulfilleqd. Please don't send them to me anymore. I do subscribe to one

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2009, at 4:43 PM, cordwood wrote:

Ahhh me,the Universe is vast...even when it is half vast it is beyond comprehension to us mortal fools.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 1:53 PM, Francorp wrote:

Some of these make sense, but how can Apple be a stock to pick in a recessionary time? When people are struggling to pay bills will they pay for an iPod or other discressionary purchases? I agree the company is well managed and the stock is good, but I don't think that it makes sense during a recession.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 2:51 PM, matcha695 wrote:

MF is a money sucking machine.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 3:10 PM, TMFDiogenes wrote:

Hi Francop,

Great question.

I think the reason why Apple performed so well since the last recession is that investors had written the company off following the implosion of the tech bubble (to the tune of 64%). You're absolutely right -- the company was hurt. But investors had overreacted and so were unable to see the huge growth that was on the horizon until 2004, in other words, once it had already happened. Those who understood that Apple would survive a bad economy and stuck with the stock were able to profit from its growth.

Thanks,

Ilan

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 3:18 PM, biggestfool1932 wrote:

It is interesting that the malls around here (Eastern Massachusetts) are empty and there are the beginnings of retailing drop outs, the Apple store is jammed with a diverse group of people.

Also having been a money manager and research directer on the money management business, MF is pound for pound the best source in the business so I disagree with some of the comments above.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 3:24 PM, RuppertMundys wrote:

I think, as a subsciber to one of your services, that subscribers deserve sufficient consideration to be warned when you send an email advertisement. We pay for stock picking advice and I don't think you should waste subscribers' time with 8 year old picks and a sales pitch.

Remember, it is supposed to be about us!

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 4:19 PM, markofzorro wrote:

Perhaps it is not surprising to see all these unhappy comments from folks who lost money in the great crash and now are not making great short-term returns.

I'm taking MF's advice, plus hedging with an SP ultrashort, and making a (very) few bucks. I intend to buy more as the market drifts down.

The real reward will come when these cheap stocks go up a few years from now when the economy recovers. Sure its a risk, but it's also where the big gains are made.

Those who hope to get rich quick are wise to leave MF to those of us who are investing for the medium and long term.

I for one am delighted to be beating the S & P and making a little bit while I wait it out.

Keep it up Fools!

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 4:32 PM, obrienjohnj wrote:

Why does everyone keep referring to a recession comparison when the only comparison is to a depression. After all, you myst face up to the fact that this is a depression. And no, the two can not be compared.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 4:34 PM, obrienjohnj wrote:

How about giving us some top 10 DEPRESSION stocks? Examples include those companies benefiting from the stimulus plan and local utilities paying dividends.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 4:39 PM, ssiemer wrote:

I have to agree with the first post. I too am tired of getting emails from MF that promise information only to try to pitch me to buy something that I have already bought. You have me. I am a subscriber. Stop filling my inbox with new pitches and give me something substantive that I can actually use.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 4:52 PM, ZUBAIR09 wrote:

I agree with your investment philosphy 100%

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 4:57 PM, Lulu56 wrote:

I have to agree. I, too, am a subscriber and continue to read these sales pitches thinking they're a benefit of my subscription only to find they are trying to sell me something I've already bought. Very poor form. And likely to lose MF many paying customers.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 6:03 PM, dfrndez wrote:

On Apple.

The fact is that the company has reported strong earnings in spite of the poor economy, and has great leadership and yet has seen its stock plummet from its high this year more than the S&P has fallen. Did it ever occur to some people that the 'aversion to fancy gadgets in a recession' syndrome has already been priced into the stock? I think the stock has value and I'm not going to deceive myself into thinking I can time the market and know exactly when it will take off to buy an obvious growth stock. I will buy a growth stock now while its discounted and reap in the benefits whenever the economy recovers, I don't particularly need to know when it will though.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 6:14 PM, bcadwal wrote:

GOOD JOB BOYS!

My small investment portfolio that followed your suggestions is smaller by 40% from the peak and NOW you come out with defensive stocks. You guys are clowns.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 7:24 PM, plantoretire1day wrote:

I have to agree regarding the negative comments. I mean the proof is in the pudding. I am only a layperson, but prior to the stock market big downturn a friend was telling me that the shipping docks were almost standing at a standstill. Meaning very little goods for sale are coming in. Even the housing market was a good clue, especially foreclosures and the collaspe of financial institutions. Now if I had half a brain that would have giving me a clue where things were going, but being ignorant, I did not take my profits and run.

My point is, isn't there someone at MF looking at these obvious signs on serious economic retails woes and their implications? Shouldn't they be warning us, rather than urging us to stay in a falling market. Now my stocks are so low, I'm almost too scared to move them, thinking if I just stay a while longer, maybe they will recoup. So I will say this, Motley Fool is starting to smell a little fishy to me! We should be getting better advice than this. Plus I think there is some unspoken biases on their part that we do not know about.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 7:58 PM, Chickenlegs9 wrote:

Ah! The land of Cornucopia! Where there are unlimited

resources, no insolvency, no 600 trillion in OTC

derivatives world-wide,a huge US manufacturing base

and unlimited credit, no energy hungry China and India

and full employment domestically. Oh wait! The name has just been changed to the land of Denial. Just

kidding!

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 8:02 PM, rassoodock wrote:

Here are my top 10 recession stocks:

1) Cash

2) Cash

3) Cash

4) Cash

5) Cash

6) Cash

7) Cash

8) Cash

9) Bonds

10) Commodity speculation (much trickier than simply "cash")

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 8:20 PM, mollycule wrote:

i am not quite sure what this column is implying, but what else is new

are they trying to show us that apple and gilead are great companies and in the case of gilead, continue to make money

or are they showing us, in hindsight, how we too could have invested in these companies years back and made a tidy profit...wow

BUT

now that these companies have a larger cap and have no relevance at all and do not fit the criteria provided by the fool for the present recession proof stocks....

what the heck is the point????????????????????

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 8:37 PM, emetryx wrote:

Everyone has their opinion. Some of MF recommendations are good, some are bad. GOOD stock: BWLD (up 32% yesterday). BAD stock: AIB and they rode it right to the bottom. Does that make any sense to you?

MF investment philosophies may be different than yours. You want to be traditional investor or technical and study the fundamentals like safety, timing and the real value and growth potential of the stock. Read the news, follow the market and know when to get out of a stock at the right time.

If the blind want to follow the blind, so be it. Try thinking for yourself once in a while and stop depending on MF to make all your decisions for you.

I jumped in bed with MF in the beginning because I didnt know any better. I have sold half of my positions and kept the other half. I still have AIB sadly, because what is the point of selling it? It is worthless now and has nowhere to go but up (I hope).

We learn from our mistakes.

Just another grunt trying to get ahead.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 8:48 PM, emetryx wrote:

To Plantoretire1day;

Are you serious? They are not that stupid. Do you think they would make any money if they told average investors to stay on the side lines because it is a down market and too volatile? This not the time to be jumping in without assuming a lot of risk unless you know a lot about the stocks that you will be investing in. And there are a lot of investing options for more advanced investors that they are not going to be telling you about unless you are willing to pay a lot of money. And that is the problem here, you can't afford it and they arent going to tell you what you want to know. They just throw out some bones here and there - it is up to you to determine which ones are tasty and which ones are rotten.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2009, at 11:33 PM, fvoors wrote:

"..In the cases of Apple, Priceline, and McAfee, investors who sold out at a huge loss or were too afraid to buy missed out on enormous gains over the following several years. And in eight of the 10 cases in our table above, penny-pinchers who waited until the end of the recession for a slightly cheaper entry price never got one.."

You forgot to mention in the case of priceline.. they went broke and took their stockholders with them the first time. After reemerging from Chapter 11.. they started again.

So, some investors did not miss out.. they were forced out.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 12:36 AM, TMFDiogenes wrote:

Hey fvoors,

The only information I see about a priceline bankruptcy comes from a satirical website:

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 1:00 AM, egm007 wrote:

Am I reading this right?? ... "Over the past year, each of the aforementioned defensive stocks and industries underperformed Home Depot (NYSE: HD), McDonald's, and AutoZone as well as their respective industries ..."

Ummm, McDonalds was just about the ONLY large cap stock that finished UP last year. 58.10 on1/2/08 62.19 on 12/31/08

In a market that tanked and gave up somewhere between 40 and 50 per cent, I'd say up a few bucks with a nice dividend is not "underperforming"

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 2:12 AM, fullcircle0 wrote:

I'm barely 6 months into my MF subscription and I'm starting to get disappointed with these incessant teaser articles that end up sticking another little dagger at you for more money. You cheapen yourself MF. I'm in the fund mgt business and you're supposed to cut through the clutter and noise and straight into uncommon investment insights. Instead you're whoring yourself. Disappointing tactics.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 8:09 AM, 1putt2pin wrote:

Dear Dave & Tom,

Are you listening to what many are telling you?

Stop peddling ads to your clients.

We deserve better!

It appears you are spending more energy selling and recruiting new clients than taking care of the ones you have.

Where would you be with out us? How many mailing lists are you on that send so many ads compared to reason you joined? How long do you remain on them?

Believe it or not I am just as busy as you are and need to limit the amount information coming across my desk to what is important.

I subscribe to your newsletter for one reason; advice, and to the point. I don't have time to put my boots on and wade through the BS to get to what is important.

How would many CAP's would your clients rate your marketing strategy?

Why not try it?

Here's mine - 1

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 8:48 AM, SAMSCREEK wrote:

It just seems to me that if you have to PAY someone to do your thinking for you, you shouldn't be in the stock market.

I have received the free emails from the MF for years and still like to read them. But the final responsibility for the stocks you buy, is yours, not the MF.

I have never subscribed (pay money) to any stock service.

Many of the stocks that I own are down, but I only

lose money if I sell them or they go belly up. And

since I only buy dividend paying stocks, I still get rewarded monthly/quartely for owning them.

For my grandkids, their dividend paying stocks are reinvested automatically and they are receiving many shares at a cheap price. Since they are ages 2,3,7 & 7, hopefully they will make money on this down market.

I have been bottom fishing lately and hope it pays off.

Only problem is, the bottom keeps getting lower.

Ya'll have a nice day and cheer up, spring is just around the corner.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 8:55 AM, murderofone wrote:

I quite enjoy the quick tidbits of info. on MF. Can't say I buy any of the recommended stocks,but like to read different perspectives.I agree with emetryx. Everyone lost money this past year and I don't see 2009 being much better.No one can say the warning signs weren't their,actually since 2007.Sold most of my holdings in August thankfully.Don't make The Fools be ur scapegoat.Do ur own research,now is the time to buy. See a lot of bargains on the market right now.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 10:09 AM, tremondi wrote:

Re all the negative comments, and the sideline chiders who haven't purchased MF services, the promise in the sell job is that they will guide you and teach you when to buy, hold and sell...and they don't.

Flotek is a prime example....buy,buy, buy and now it is in tank with no forewarning or analysis to get you to help you conclude that you need to sell. I too was a beginner in investing and was lulled into thinking that I would gain more knowledge by subscribing. What I learned was that I need for more education outside of MF to manage my $$$....expensive lesson.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 10:28 AM, tommybitt wrote:

Good point Tremondi...

"What I learned was that I need for more education outside of MF to manage my $$$....expensive lesson."

Having at least 3 sources for every stock is more helpful.

Plus, I read as many books on investment strategy that I can get my hands on, to compare and contrast, and try to develop a plan that could pull me thru this mess.

I'm not a huge fan of "Cramer", but his books are quite informative regarding strategy and game plans.

Like everyone else, I'm down (33%), but I'm not out, and will continue to educate myself best I can.

I usually take what I read on MF with a grain of salt. Read more for news regarding companies, than for actually picking stocks.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 10:59 AM, rdhvet wrote:

There's a bunch of us who appreciate MFSA for stock opinons and market advice. But we resent being constantly pitched offers for even better advice when that's what we thought we were buying in the first place. Through the miracle of computers it would be easy enough to make sure you're not sending duplicate offers and infomercials to those of us who don't want or need them. I think it's sort of insulting - especially when we're losing money. I've obviously been "fooled", but have no one to blame but myself and your strategic marketing.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 11:59 AM, fullcircle0 wrote:

Well, I know I won't be renewing my subscription. These MF fools have been corrupted by the quick money they've made with their service. Sad.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 3:52 PM, TMFDiogenes wrote:

I'm going to have to disagree with those who characterize my article as marketing.

At the beginning of the column I clearly state that I'm going to give you the names of the top 10 stocks since the last recession and the 3 major lessons I drew from my research. And that's exactly what the article does.

Yes, after the body of the article there are three sentences letting you know that if you can look at Stock Advisor's recommendations for free. If you're not interested in learning about those stocks, then don't. It's as simple as that.

So at the end of the day, you're getting free research, free takeaways from that research, and, if you like, free stock picks. Sounds pretty harmless to me.

Not every article is going to be about 4 hot stock picks or whatever. Warren Buffett has said that his success comes not from being a better stock picker, but form managing his temperament. I found that researching this piece was a great reminder at a time when all of our portfolios are down and it's very tempting to get too cutsie timing sector bets and stock picks. History has shown that the most successful investors buy good companies when they're cheap and hold them as they continue to grow for years.

If someone doesn't believe it's useful to learn from the past when they invest, fine. But I find it helpful and hope that you did too.

Thanks everyone for reading,

Ilan

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 5:49 PM, dhewes wrote:

Please listen to the many comments about the teaser ads to get more money from us. I am a member of two services and I pay to get information and recommendations as a member. I am not interested in sifting the nonmember junk for data. Give me what I pay for.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 6:51 PM, BNDRYMAN wrote:

I agree with Universe1. I did not sign up to recieve more advertisements.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 10:10 PM, RSawicki wrote:

Wow! How many newsletters do you MF guys have now? A dozen? Now the "Million Dollar" Portfolio. You guys (and I am a subscriber) are just bastardizing and whoring yourselves. Stop sending us pitches for your latest newsletter disquised as information. And please stop issuing new newsletters when you get to 100.

• Report this Comment On February 14, 2009, at 10:50 PM, SafeAndCheap wrote:

MF has what is known as an "agency" problem. Their existence has always been based on selling the dream of getting rich on stocks.

The post WWII economic world, the only economic world most of us have known, is gone. But MF keeps pitching analogies from past recessions. Those analogies are not appropriate. We will go through a protracted period of deleveraging, asset writedowns, and bankruptcies.

I'm not surprised MF is scrambling by opening new services, abandoning other services, and moving many of their best analysts to the new "asset management" business.

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2009, at 9:01 AM, Goldenegg100 wrote:

These guys are masters of the spin--I never saw so many ways of making a silk purse. They will continue to cite there only one or two really long term winners and seemingly gloss over the long list of miserable losers. And, there is no question that they lack the knowledge and guts to get out when the stock is sinking--they ride them down like most of the lemmings. Sending 5 page emails to entice you to buy more of their "guesses" to existing customers reminds me of Madoff--get all their money!!

GMH

Dublin, OH

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2009, at 7:33 PM, blkbrd101 wrote:

To all you guys who subscribe to those 'Stock Picker' sale ads you forget one thing. The MF knows no more than you do about picking winning stocks. That's why the MF reaserachers don't know when to get out when the market turns. You may as well start picking a winning horse at the local race track. Good money spinning game though for Tom & Dave.

Any one of us could do just as well as the so-called experts.

• Report this Comment On February 16, 2009, at 8:38 PM, TMFPaladin wrote:

Whatever you guys say, I respect TMF and what they do.

• Report this Comment On February 17, 2009, at 6:51 PM, PopeClementV wrote:

I have just subscribed to the MF Stock Advisor and, yes, it was a result of the e-mails they have sent me over the years. Without those e-mails and the interesting content they provided I never would have decided to subscribe the their Stock Advisor newsletter.

My first impression of the service is positive. The writing is clear and direct and there is plenty of information to look at from all of their past newsletter issues. I should tell you that I am a beginner to the market and am just beginning to become acquainted with how this process works. I did appreciate how open they were on their past performance in their stock selections. Some of their picks did very well, but some did very poorly. This can be expected when you are picking two new stocks a month over the past several years.

The one area where I could see a problem is, and this was mentioned earlier in the thread, is perhaps there should be more emphasis on when to leave a stock. I understand that this service and the entire MF philosophy is based on "buy and hold", but there should be some safety guage built in to avoid holding on too long to a stock in free fall. I don't mind going through some turbulence, but when I see some stocks down over 50 or 60% I wonder if it might have been a better idea to sell earlier.

But, overall, I am finding the newsletter very interesting and feel that I am getting a great service for the money. I had looked at some other newsletters on the market, but decided to go with MF based on their emphasis on patience and a view to the long term, rather than some of the other stock pickers who promise quick riches.

I will let you know 25 years from now if the picks panned out.

• Report this Comment On February 19, 2009, at 12:22 AM, 2DollaBill wrote:

I'm glad to see some like-minded folks speaking out. I recently canceled two subscriptions because of

1) the incessant, slimy marketing

2) the perma-bull buy-and-hold, die-fighting BS.

Fortunately, MF didn't lose me very much money, but only because other newsletters (Russel, Mauldin, etc) managed to convince me that this mess was coming (I know, it's impossible to time markets<roll eyes>)

Once the secular bear is over, I might come back...if it looks like the marketing has been toned down. Otherwise, not a chance.

• Report this Comment On February 24, 2009, at 5:17 PM, PuckMeister wrote:

MF

Seems like a lot of folks are pi_ _ed off.

Might hold up on the ads for a while.

You can ditto me on this.

HC

• Report this Comment On February 28, 2009, at 11:18 AM, RSawicki wrote:

Wow again. You guys aren't listening are you? People do not want to get ads disguised as newsletters.

And "The Million Dollar Portfolio!" Where you're actually following your own advice. How novel. And now, what is it? The Duke Street Scam teaser video. Please stop before you get to 100 newsletters.

You may not know much about how to make money in the Market, but you sure seem to know how to make money selling newsletters.

What's next? "Stocks we forgot to recommend in our 17 other newsletters" newsletter?

I won't be renewing my subscriptions

• Report this Comment On March 31, 2009, at 5:43 PM, rottweilers wrote:

I have subscribed to most of the MF offerings and have canceled all of them. The million dollar portfolio was the biggest bust. Starbucks and a bank in Ireland proved they didn't know what the hell they were doing.

The early 2005 and 2006 guide recommendations also were a bust.

The MF are selling subscriptions with a bunch of kids making recommendations by throwing darts at the wall.

One big joke.