Watch stocks you care about
The single, easiest way to keep track of all the stocks that matter...
Your own personalized stock watchlist!
It's a 100% FREE Motley Fool service...
When the S&P 500 -- the proxy for U.S. blue-chip companies -- loses money over a decade-long time frame, old assumptions are questioned.
And when General Motors, AIG (NYSE: AIG ) , and Citigroup (NYSE: C ) -- one-time giants of Corporate America and so-called “widow and orphan” stocks -- go belly-up or require Uncle Sam's assistance to stay solvent, "buy and hold" starts to feel like a quaint relic of the 20th century.
Over the coming days and weeks, Fool.com will be hosting a debate on whether buy-and-hold investing is truly dead. In the spirit of celebrating the motley, Fool advisors, analysts, and editors will be weighing in alongside investment legends including Vanguard founder Jack Bogle and PIMCO CEO Mohamed El-Erian.
As part of our debate, on Monday, June 15, 2009, at 12 p.m. ET, Motley Fool co-founder Tom Gardner will host an emergency online investor summit: Is Buy and Hold Dead? Admission is free, but you must register to attend.
Fool co-founder David Gardner, dividend-investing expert James Early, global investor Tim Hanson, and Motley Fool Pro lead analyst Jeff Fischer will all answer this pressing question.
The answer may surprise you. Be on hand Monday, June 15, 2009, to hear every word. Again, admission is free to Motley Fool readers. To reserve your spot, click here.
Perhaps most importantly …
Fools will be weighing in. Investment experts will be weighing in. But most importantly, we want to hear from you. Use the comments section below to let us know your thoughts!
Mark Cuban recently told us that buy and hold was long dead. "It has always been a sucker’s bet. … Buy and hold is a great marketing slogan for funds that want to take your money. Nothing more or less."
With that, let the debate begin!
For all our buy-and-hold coverage:
- Long-Term Investing Doesn't Work
- Blog: Is Buy and Hold Dead?
- How to Invest Using the "New" Buy and Hold
- Long-Term Buy and Hold May Not Be the Smartest Investing Strategy
- Buy and Hold Is Dead. Long Live Buy and Hold!
- Blog: The Life and Subsequent Death of Buy and Hold Investing
- Long-Term Buy and Hold Still Works
- Buy and Hold Isn't Dead. It's Just Wounded.
- If Buy and Hold Ever Lived, It's Dead Now
- Bogle on Buy and Hold and the "Long" of Long-Term Investing
- Long-Term Buy and Hold Only Works in Bull Markets
- The Most Certain Way to Wealth in Our Uncertain World?
- Roundtable: Do You Buy and Hold?
- The Untaught Art of Developing an Investment Forecast