Is Ford's Profit for Real?

Ford (NYSE: F  ) -- yes, that Ford -- posted a profit of $2.3 billion for the quarter. That's $0.69 a share, compared with a loss of $3.89 a share for the same period last year.

Think about that for a second.

If you've followed the tribulations of the American automakers over the last year -- and unless you've been in a Zen monastery, the news has been hard to miss -- the idea that one of the Once-Big Three turned a profit is hard to believe.

Should we believe it?

Well, no, not quite
To be fair, Ford's press release is completely up-front about the fact that that $2.3 billion includes "special items" worth a net total of $2.8 billion. Without these special items -- most of which are simply fancy ways of saying that Ford swapped some of its debt for equity and cash and made some one-time cuts -- Ford lost $0.21 a share.

That's not great in absolute terms, but it's not bad -- analysts were expecting a $0.50 per-share loss, and it's way better than last year's numbers. Ford has cut costs, gained market share with some great products, and has an impressive pipeline, and management is still predicting a return to (genuine) profitability by 2011.

So it's a buy, then?
I'm skeptical. The company is a long way from being out of the woods. I think anyone considering an investment in Ford right now, much as I like it as a long-term recovery story, has to ponder a few points:

• Supplier drama. Any interruptions in Ford's parts supplies would stop its affected factory lines within hours, and many leading suppliers are in deep trouble. Seatmaker Lear and Ford spinoff Visteon are already in bankruptcy. Tier 1 giants Johnson Controls and Magna (NYSE: MGA  ) are so far faring better, but there's drama brewing there as well.
  • Dilution. They've got to keep servicing all that debt, and -- following the lead of companies from Dow Chemical (NYSE: DOW  ) to DryShips (Nasdaq: DRYS  ) -- a stock offering may be on the way.
  • The competition. Nissan (Nasdaq: NSANY  ) , Toyota (NYSE: TM  ) , and Honda (NYSE: HMC  ) are all in better financial shape than Ford, and after their warp-speed trips through bankruptcy court, General Motors and Chrysler arguably are as well.

Ford's products and pipeline are strong, but are they strong enough to compensate for the company's ongoing financial weakness? Leave a comment below and let me know what you think.

Fool contributor John Rosevear owns Ford preferred stock. Nissan Motor is a Motley Fool Global Gains selection. You can try any of our Foolish newsletters free for 30 days. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 3:53 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Come on - the fools have been wrong pretty much all along on this one. Give up - tired of hearing you continue to beat a dead horse. Ford is and will be the winner of the former Big Three.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:11 PM, spawn44 wrote:

Let me know when you are recommending Ford shares so I know when to sell mine

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:15 PM, stockjock43 wrote:

I think based on fundamentals it is a 4 dollar stock at best...and that IS being oprimistic for future growth. Look at the numbers...a negative book value of 4/5 bucks? Some could argue this is a 1 dollar stock

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:16 PM, TMFMarlowe wrote:

loki2009, I own F preferreds, and I'm up big and have no plans to sell. I completely agree with you -- I just don't think it's a buy right now, at current prices, given the challenges ahead.

Thanks for reading.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:18 PM, allmusl70 wrote:

I have to agree with loki2009. Most of my fellow Fools have been wrong on this one. Is it a gamble? Absolutely...but a calculated gamble. Ford may not be the best of the automakers FINANCIALLY, but their product line is years ahead of GM and Chrysler. AND they have surpassed Toyota in quality even though Toyota is financially better off. Toyota, Honda and Nissan are all struggling to maintain market share while Ford is gaining on most fronts. They have done better than projected in maintaining cash flow in and out. How many Fools were predicting 8 months ago that they would run out of money this year??? Quite a few. Ford is the automaker that knows what it is doing. A short term buy for certain. A long term hold should reward those with discipline.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:18 PM, rh33 wrote:

I think the article is too conservative on Ford. First, the headline asks the question: "Is...profit for real?" The implicit answer is, "No." The truth is yes, although it is not the kind of profit that is likely to be repeated. It is still real. Ask yourself this question: Would you like to have $2.3 billion? Yes, really you would. Of course it would be even more positive if it had been operating profit, but $2.3 billion is a good amount of money, even for Ford.

Then, in addition to the major accomplishments Ford made in the last two years, you did not mention improving margins. Improving volume, market share and margins all at once: that doesn't happen very often. Ford's competitors are still losing volume, while Ford is gaining slightly.

Another thing most writers miss is this: Ford's American competitors both sold their finance companies. Ford kept their finance company. The finance companies have been cash cows for extended periods in the past, often making more profit than manufacturing, although they are not doing well now. If Ford survives and the financial operations return to normal or at least something like normal, Ford will have the profit from that as well as the manufacturing operations. So I am optimistic about Ford for the mid-range. Near term, it appears they can survive. If the economy recovers, they should thrive in the mid-range. Long-term? Nobody can predict that for a transportation company; that is a highly competitive business and anything can happen.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:18 PM, spawn44 wrote:

Dude, put down the school book and go look for a new job

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:21 PM, Brigand06 wrote:

I agree with Spawn. If I had listened to the Fool, I'd be $100,000 shy in my portfolio today...I bought it at $1.30.

With Obama's stimulus, cash for clunkers, and plans to buy hybrid cars for the Government fleet

Bode well for further appreciation of FORD. No, I will sell when the FOOL finally says buy. It will be at $25 a share by then.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:23 PM, plange01 wrote:

ford is looking good! with chrysler and disgraced GM! on their way back into bankruptcy for good by the end of the year ford will be the only american car maker left.ford at one time was on the edge of failure even 2 years before GM and chrysler and fought its way back without the ridiculous obama idea of forced prepared bankruptcy! or whatever that was!! GM and chrysler can stay closed!

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:42 PM, frutis wrote:

I kind of agree with fools. I feel huge speculative pump vibes around this stock. Do not get me wrong – I agree the company is doing OK in current circumstances, but the stock value today lost contact with reality.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:49 PM, sondo1313 wrote:

That has to be one of the most naive financial articles I've seen. "To its credit, Ford's press release is up-front." Christ, their $1.7B equity raise was hardly a secret. "Supplier Drama"? Name one Ford component that is at risk. This is old news (old rumor), now non-news. Supply chains were shored up four-six months ago without problem...no one worries about them anymore. "Competition"? How is Nissan doing this year? What did Toyota's CEO say about their product line and US profits just two days ago? How many years will it take GM and Chrysler to rebuild a competitive portfolio? How does lower GM debt threaten Ford's plans?

Did the author bother to watch Mulally on CNBC at noon? He said several much more tangible things, about expanding the workforce, market share, raising capital...and it is clear Ford is preparing to move guidance to profitability well before 2011. Again, this article is old news. No, this article really says nothing at all. Lazy analysis.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 4:59 PM, frutis wrote:

I would not write off Chrysler – they have very strong models in pipeline based on Alfa Romeo platform. Also GM even today has arguably more superior products than Ford in most segments. The battle is not over yet.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 6:00 PM, Varchild2008 wrote:

Motley Fool has gone BOTH WAYS on FORD.

One individual saying FORD is a buy back when it was at $2.XX a share. Now we have skeptics issuing counter arguments?

Well.. I appreciate the counter arguments to anyone of my stocks and people should stop being all uptight. It is perfectly ok to read about why you should NOT invest in the companys in your portfolio.

However, you should read them knowing what your game plan is. Investing in a company with a really large Debt load like FORD does carry quite a bit more risk than investing in a company like APPLE that has more cash than it knows what to do with.

So my game plan is to simply hold onto my shares and buy on dips, while keeping track of that Cash Burn rate and paying regular visits to Ford Dealerships. I can tell when things are going well and when things are not.

1) You get swamped immediately with a salesman when you arrive = Things are bleak!

2) You find a hard time finding a salesman as they are all too busy to help you = Things are Boom Time.

So far...So Good....I've seen more #2s at my local dealer than #1.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 7:21 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Frutis - sorry dude, but "lost touch with reality" is a fair bit of an overstatement and sounds like the typical Fools nonsense.

Stockjock - based on fundamentals? You're looking in a rearview mirror - you need to come up for air and get in the present, then look forward. Credit Suisse says $8.00 and BofA says $8.75, but most analysts are not worth $%&# except after the fact. Where were they when Ford was trading at $1.00 to $2.00.

I have made a huge amount of money by holding calls on this "turkey" since the $2.00 days - more than I make from my "real" job in 10 years and if I had listened to the Fools over the last 7 months what would I have - nada!

Dilution by new shares for equity? That's because you people don't know what to look at. Listen - they issued 345 million shares @ $4.75 for $1.6 billion more in equity and they used that plus cash on hand to retire some $10+ billion in debt for a GAIN of $2.9 billion and an annual interest cost reduction of $500 million. That's an increase in equity of $4.5 billion which is $4.5 billion/345 million shares or $13.00 a share plus $1.33/share increase in operating profit annually. If that's dilution in the current economic climate and at the then share price of $5.00 then I say dilute the hell out of me!

Finally - at a disdvantage to GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda etc. based on debt? Come on. Ford has $26.1 billion of Auto debt and $21 billion cash on hand as of the June 30, 2009 Financials and they will show an operating profit in the third quarter (that's MY prediction and I have been right all year on this one). What debt??? They are holding cash to make sure they have a buffer in case it's needed, but it won't be.

And then we have Toyota with a $6 billion loss for 12 months as reported for March 30, 2009 and it's worth $125 billion in market cap? Wait while I catch my breath, my sides are hurting.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 7:29 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Missed a small part in that. Looking at it from total shares - they went from 2.83 billion shares oustanding at the time and negative equity of $20.9 billion or -$7.40/share to 3.17 billion shares outstanding and negative equity of $16.4 billion or -$5.20/share.

Again - dilute the hell out of me with those kind of results!

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:07 PM, Varchild2008 wrote:

Excellent read Loki2009,

If the company marches to profitability, and they do not need to do so in your Q3, super fast time frame, that profitability simply boosts their Cash Flow each quarter.

If we are looking at $5.1 billion GAP between Cash Flow to Debt, then that really is not a problem. After all, FORD wants to sell Volvo. They could get enough money selling Volvo to close the GAP (if the economy improves).

There's no guarantee we will see further share dillution anyhow....When Ford simply has the Volvo option along with future profitability to look forward to.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:26 PM, Ender1607 wrote:

Ok, well I am on the inside as I work at a Ford Lincoln Mercury dealership, and while some may accuse me of drinking the kool aid, seriously, go in and look at the product! Ford now makes super safe vehicles, great quality and the most advanced technology out there, check into the SYNC system, their Navigation Systems, the BLISS Traffic Warning System, The new product will drive Ford to profitability. Product drives the auto market and Ford has the product both here today and with the pipeline. Them comment above about Ford Motor Credit is totally true as well, profits will be huge based on the rising sales. Want product, check out the New Ford Taurus, the New Transit Connect, the New Lincoln MKT, the up coming Ford Fiesta, and New European Focus, plus all the new Hybrids and Ecoboost engines coming.

I think Ford is ready to take on all comers, and let's not be fools, the market is tough, but Ford has the right leadership, the right product and the right attitude!

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:28 PM, ty007 wrote:

I have been in agreement with you guys on many things but I think your Ford calls have all been off the mark.

from just a simple examination we know ford reported the lowest drop in quarterly sales out of any major auto maker. This in itself speaks of increased market share and overall improvement.

Yeah the whole profit thing is not really a profit per se due to accounting methods and "items" but Ford continues to keep on truckin!

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:30 PM, ty007 wrote:

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:31 PM, ty007 wrote:

@spawn....

I am in agreement once the fools get bullish on F im heading for the fire exit!

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:36 PM, frutis wrote:

Loki, couple of quick remarks you may want to consider:

1. BofA is a major Ford shareholder as of today and their opinion can be discarded. May be not the best shareholder - watch out when they sell the stock to finance their core business.

2. Dilution is dilution. Nothing to do with other debt restructuring actions. Ford had 20+ billion in cash to restructure the debt without help from 1.6 billion the dilution added.

3. F vs TM capitalization calculated incorrectly. To the F numbers you presented you need to add F debt and for TM you need to deduct TM cash reserves (in other word if you decide to buy Ford you will get debt vs if you decide to buy TM you will get also cash reserves). Need to be included other equity components which F significantly reduced or call it mortgaged recently. Add some premium for TM stronger brand and better positions worldwide. Investment people are very clever monkeys and they would not miss 6 times discrepancy as you presented.

4. Ford honeymoon may be over as dust around GM and Chr settles, other car manufacturers respond with rebates which they missed earlier this year and car sale season over. Add recession and sluggish consumer spending.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2009, at 10:52 PM, ozzfan1317 wrote:

Ford will continue to take Market share and retun to profitability by mid 2010.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 12:05 AM, loki2009 wrote:

And I didn't do anything wrong in my Ford debt calculations cause I didn't do a calculation. The $26.1 billion figure I stated is right out of their presentation this morning. Plus they have $21 billion cash.

Also I am not mistaken in my dilution requirements. I have been a CFO for multi-million dollar companies through to billion dollar companies. I degrees in finance and economics at the undergraduate, graduate and post-graduate levels. I think I have a little bit of knowledge of what I am talking about.

Ford honeymoon over? See - you're still not up to speed. What have I been trying to tell you - it hasn't even started yet. Americans are finally waking up once more to the company that Henry built.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 1:07 AM, RobHerm wrote:

I have not done any big financial analysis however wasn't Ford the first of the Big three to introduce Hybrid technology so its a got its feet wet in that.

I also got financing ahead of time so it did not have to rely on taxpayers .. and its being accountable for those loans ... GM will never pay back those loans ...

The ford fusion is one heck of a car. I hope Ford stays in the game. I don't like GM. Greedy unions.

I'll never buy GM. I'll buy Ford but never GM. I've got a Hyundai right now. I wouldve bought a Fusion but i needed more head room.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 8:57 AM, Buckeye46 wrote:

I agree with RobHerm, Ford by not taking the Govt leash, will profit from those of us who will never again buy a GM or Chrysler product (at least not until osama is out of office). Ford had the GUTS! to say no thanks, we'll just ride this out the good ole' CAPITALIST way. And with good products like the Fusion and the Mustang (drool), my $1.80/share price will keep making me money. Right on, RedHerm.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 12:09 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

Ford like most American cars are no longer at the top of their game. Even some super patriot southerner that hates Japanese people will be seen driving a Honda or Toyota these days.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 12:18 PM, Melaschasm wrote:

I live in Michigan, one of the few places where most vehicles on the roads are made by the Big Three. I am hearing many people saying "I will never buy a GM or Chrysler car again". Then they hop into their GM or Chrysler car.

Some of the former GM/Chrysler owners are not loyal Ford fans for the first time in their lives. That is going to mean more market share for Ford. Most of the rest will be comparing Ford to a few foreign vehicles, and making the decision based upon what they personally value in a vehicle. Ford will win a portion of these customers.

Personally I will not buy a hybrid car right now, because the up front cost is to high for the limited improvement in gas mileage, and the batteries cost far to much to replace every few years. Currently Ford's ecoboost engine technology is a winning solution. If Ford can quickly roll out that new technology, they will have an engine that provides a better solution than hybrid technology, for at least a few more years.

One of the Fool ideas that I really like is the notion of buying quality management teams. Ford's management team started making the changes needed years before the economic collapse crushed the auto industry. That is the kind of leadership I look like to own as a stockholder. Ford might not be a low cost stock at the moment, but it is on my watchlist as a stock that could be bought on a market pullback.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 1:41 PM, jjtim wrote:

I bought at $1.90. By this time next year, it may be as high at $12 or $13, if Congress doesn't destroy the economy before then. I plan to sell at $8.00, just to be on the safe side.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 4:14 PM, marginjim wrote:

I've been in a number of discussions, many of them heated, over the past 50 years or so. But the last time I heard one person in the discussion tell another one to "get your head out of your ass" I must have been about 16 - and it was an immature comment at that age ! Good, productive discussions don't need that kind of garbage.

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2009, at 6:19 PM, CiakSG wrote:

There are 3 reasons that Ford will make it if anyone does:

1. Alan Mulally

2. Alan Mulally

3. Alan Mulally

When I first read of his arrival at Ford in 2006 I thought to myself, "if it can be done, he can do it". I have not changed my opinion since that day.

Posters who don't believe need to observe that this is a man who moves the goal posts when necessary.

He has no control over the U.S or World economy. But as long as Alan Mulally is in control at Ford their situation in relationship to other auto manufactureers WILL improve.

CiakSG

• Report this Comment On July 25, 2009, at 2:31 PM, marginjim wrote:

loki2009, Of course it's a figure of speech, especially since the position itself is physically impossible. But it implies that the other person is totally blind to reality (only a proctologist can see anything up there.) In short, "I'm smart. You're stupid."

The trouble with reasoning or arguing like that is you close yourself off the possibility that the other person has anything useful to say. That's not a wise position to adopt under most circumstances and particularly when the subject is related to the value of a stock.

It's been 53 years since I was 17. Maybe we were wiser then or maybe I just remember it wrong. What I do seem to remember is that we recognized the difference between arguing to show how macho we were (where the truth didn't matter just the "power" of our arguments) and arguing about something important. Whether my memory is faulty or not, I do know that, when a person is offering opinions about things that matter, he needs a bit more maturity than an adolescent is likely to muster.

• Report this Comment On July 26, 2009, at 1:06 AM, loki2009 wrote:

And one other thing marginjim - it absolutely does not imply that I am smart and he is stupid. ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT! I hope I am being perfectly clear with this statement.

It says nothing about intelligence at all. Perhaps I was wrong attributing your education to Miss Eaton's as that school would have taught you it means "caught in the past" or "like a turtle hiding from the world around as it moves forward quickly:. I would not dream of casting aspersions on the intelligence of Frutis based on a simple discussion such as this one. Perhaps you need to go back to school and learn a few things. Respectfully (but with tongue in cheek) yours, Loki2009

• Report this Comment On July 26, 2009, at 8:28 AM, abudefdef wrote:

marginjim and loki2009, thanks for the laughs, funny stuff :)

I think F will be fine due to the reasons a lot of people have stated:

1) they didn't take the handouts

2) they are/have been re-tooling to produce quality/competitive vehicles

3) as the economy turns the corner, people who have been waiting to buy a new car may be more apt to go to F because of the above reasons

I have owned a Ford Explorer for 10+ years now, and when I replace it, I will buy another Ford vehicle. Their customer service has been impeccable, and old Rufus hasn't given me any major problems, and only a couple of minor ones.

Ford will be fine!

• Report this Comment On July 26, 2009, at 10:30 AM, marginjim wrote:

loki,

you win. congratulations.

A point about Ford that hasn't been noted yet: Management folks at all three Detroit car makers were "car guys" much more than than they were customer-oriented. Each one would get a new car every 6 to 12 months (depending on their level), never had to pay for gas, oil change or tune up and had no concept of trade-in value. (or mpg or repair costs) However, of the three, Ford managers were less entrenched in that culture and, probably with a great assist from non-car-guy Mulally, were able to get a start on digging their way out.

When stock prices plunged and I concluded that at least one of those three would make it some day, I chose Ford as the stock to buy. So far, it looks OK.

• Report this Comment On July 26, 2009, at 11:32 AM, loki2009 wrote:

Thanks marjinjim - and abudefdef - it was worth a few chuckles. Also good points about the car-guys versus non car-guys and culture. GM is still seriously messed up in the past culture. Not as sure about Chrysler, but I agree Ford is tops particularly with Mulally on board.

Go Blue Oval!

• Report this Comment On July 26, 2009, at 5:08 PM, Ender1607 wrote:

One other note to be discussed, and that is the Cash for Clunkers incentive. How many United States tax payers would be thrilled to know how much of their $1 Billion Tax Dollars are going to be spent on subsidizing Foreign Car companies, like Hyundai, Kia, Toyota & Nissan and VW? Am I nuts or shouldn't our tax dollars go towards buying products built by an American company. I get the argument that some of the Foreign cars are built in the USA and that some American cars are built out of the USA, but folks, follow the money, do you want the money going back to Japan, Germany and Korea, or here in the USA. Wake up America! It's OUR MONEY!

• Report this Comment On July 26, 2009, at 6:15 PM, plange01 wrote:

ford is running on at least 2 cylinders and doing better than companys like microsoft..........

• Report this Comment On July 27, 2009, at 1:59 AM, billddrummer wrote:

Setting aside the fact that the profit resulted from early debt extinguishment, and setting aside the fact that F is at a financing disadvantage because it didn't take government money, and setting aside the fact that the stock sale did dilute existing shareholders, F has a more compelling slate of products available for average Americans to purchase than either GM or Chrysler.

Toyota has admitted that it made strategic mistakes over the past 2 years (which look disturbingly like what GM did over the past 20), but they seem to have identified what's wrong. Turning around that ship will be a long-term process because of its size.

Of the domestic manufacturers, F has the best chance of success. GM seems to be targeting people who can't afford their cars, and Chrysler has completely lost its way.

• Report this Comment On July 27, 2009, at 2:01 AM, billddrummer wrote:

And to Ender1607,

Hyundai/Kia was the first carmaker to honor the Cash for Clunkers vouchers, and the company says its sales are up 11% just from that program.

What were the domestic manufacturers doing?

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 10:17 AM, greenwave3 wrote:

I don't think the earnings power is there yet to support a $20+ Billion market cap. They still have over $17 Billion in NEGATIVE equity on the books and it is pretty expensive for them to borrow money.

Also, Ford's earnings results are very seasonal (look at individual quarters from recent years). It is not uncommon for Ford to post a big profit one quarter and then a huge loss the next. I suspect that they've been working off inventory and slowing production and this is the catalyst for their recent quarterly profit.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 5:11 PM, rmiers1 wrote:

spent years in car business at all levels. dealer network mismanged, poor product mix, terrible top mang in 80's and encouragement to abandon the family dealership. large dealership groups are terrible and turnover. . the market wants trust and being confortable with sales and company, both factory and dealer.

I am going to write a book on how to go broke and the car business is just part of it. lessons learned were never accepted. Just a bunch of self serving jerks and now the unions have joined the ranks. I would never buy anything but american( (japan won't let us sell over there, Now I will not buy anything union made...ever....they made their bed and they own it...but to this guy, they own nothing. Let them retire in Detroit and other union cities....and let them take away american's PRIVATE vote..they will cease having anybodies support... they are like government workers, they are in it for themselves only, me, me, me, I, I, I, nothing for the greater good.

JMHO

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 5:20 PM, plange01 wrote:

ford is doing well and by early winter the latest it will be the only US auto maker still open..........

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 6:17 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Wow - uptight Fools. You can't say "get your head out of your ass". Oooopsss!

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 6:24 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Is "crapshoot" out too since it refers to the same general area of the human anatomy? Both phrases/words are listed as colloquialisms. Bad dictionaries, bad... to give me such ideas for informal speech of cultivated persons. I guess this is not such a forum.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 6:29 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Ok - one last parting word. I will admit the "take the poker out of your ass" remark was probably stretching things! >:-)

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2009, at 8:51 PM, gergames wrote:

I don't have to buy Ford, already bought it heavily at avg. PPS of $2.10. Normally I like to stay regional, with companies I know (except companies with high EPS), but Ford was just to cheap. I see it heading to $20.00 in 2011. Here are some recent good buys I made in Feb/March:

Company avg. in current %increase

OSK $ 7.29 $ 26.23 259.81%

F $ 2.10 $ 7.14 240.00%

JCI $ 9.36 $ 25.05 167.63%

DOW $ 8.06 $ 20.21 150.74%

BUCY $13.25 $ 31.19 135.40%

WPP $ 4.47 $ 9.08 103.13%

• Report this Comment On July 29, 2009, at 6:34 PM, loki2009 wrote:

Oh well - perhaps if I persevere I may make a dent in the stuffed shirts who run this site. I can see drawing the line somewhere - but "get your head out of your ass"? Come on.

Perhaps the "poker up your ass" was a little overboard, but as Shakespeare once said, tongue in cheek, "Methinks a few things need a little shake-ing up around here". (big ☺☺☺)

Thanks to the couple of you who sent their love! I am sure none came from marginjim! ☺

Take care - I will be back. After all, I am the reigning one in charge of mischief! ☺☻☺

LOL

Loki2009

• Report this Comment On July 30, 2009, at 3:19 PM, new2day wrote:

My Ford Stock is up 170%, I bought at 2.62/share. I believe Ford will survive because they are family owned and did not accept any hand-outs. Good for them and great for me!

• Report this Comment On July 30, 2009, at 5:27 PM, architect305 wrote:

traded in our 07 Honda Civic two weeks ago on an 09 Fusion to get better seat height....the Fusion is hands down the best car we have ever owned and runs circles around the similarly equipped Civic in all categories of performance and comfort...we have not been shy to tell our friends, neighbors and business associates...happy customers and reputation for producing a really good product...Priceless....Ford will be profitable sooner than you think.

• Report this Comment On July 30, 2009, at 11:54 PM, scbtl wrote:

Everyone seems to be concentrating on the US market as the battle grounds for the auto manufacturers. Instead it needs to be looked at the developing nations with large populations that are beginning to have more of a mobile population, namely China and India. As currently living in China, I can say that Ford is a status symbol here, and growing in market share. Just as when you go to South/Central America, it's hard to go around Asia with out seeing a large number of Fords, As a side note, do not be surprised to see as these developing nations continue growing, to see Ford, BMW, Audi, and VW increase the market share over the Korean and Japanese brands. Old wounds die hard over here, and there are some very old wounds between Japan, Korea, and China

• Report this Comment On August 01, 2009, at 5:11 PM, bigjohnson2 wrote:

IF ford can maintain a attractive, reliable product line like the "fusion", the company should not have any problems. But will it?

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 2:25 PM, loki2009 wrote:

So - Given it's now 5 months later, we have seen that my predicted 3Q profit has held up to be true, and the share price is now $10.00 - anyone want to comment on that strong buy recommendation of mine?

Here's another one - will be $25.00 a share within three years.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 2:31 PM, tkell31 wrote:

Lots of 7-8$ puts being purchased for Feb. Earnings come out in Jan...not invested myself but sounds like there could be a price drop coming up soon. Like I said no skin in the game, but I do like to keep on top of options trends and that trend is calling for a pull back in the near future.