The Best Stocks for 2010

You've had your chance. Now, it's our turn.

Two weeks ago, we asked the Fool community which stocks they thought would be among next year's best performers. They came up with some great ideas:

• wolfman225 suggested that Intuit's foray into website design software would complement its traditional tax and personal finance software business well, letting it tap into small businesses and unemployed people seeking to build their own websites.
  • Several dividend-paying stocks made an appearance among readers' picks, including Southern Company (NYSE: SO  ) , Novartis (NYSE: NVS  ) , and Caterpillar (NYSE: CAT  ) . The combination of attractive payouts at fairly inexpensive valuations gave readers confidence about their future prospects.
  • Outsized gains among some of 2009's top comeback stories didn't stop folks from choosing them to outpace their peers in 2010. Ford Motor (NYSE: F  ) , Citigroup (NYSE: C  ) , and even Fannie Mae (NYSE: FNM  ) all came back from the brink back in March to post strong gains -- and some see them as repeat performers next year.

A good year
2009 was good for many investors, and our past-year picks were no exception. Out of 14 stocks we looked at last December, two more than doubled in price, and only two stocks -- ExxonMobil (NYSE: XOM  ) and General Electric -- were down year-to-date.

But unlike some competitions, you won't see us coasting on our winning record. Most of our Foolish contributors are back again for another shot at the glory of choosing the best stock for 2010. And we need your help.

Take a look at this year's selections and see what you think. At the bottom of each article, you'll have the opportunity to vote whether you believe that stock is the best stock for 2010. Once we've tallied the votes, we'll be back to tell you which ones are best poised for big gains next year.

The Best Stocks for 2010:

There you go, Fools -- vote early and often today!

As always, when we mention companies in an article, we have to disclose what our various subscription services think about them. Here goes: Apple, Berkshire Hathaway, Costco, and Nvidia are Motley Fool Stock Advisor picks. Akamai Technologies, Google, and Intuitive Surgical are Motley Fool Rule Breakers choices. Berkshire Hathaway, Costco, Exelon, and Intel are Motley Fool Inside Value choices. Novartis is a Motley Fool Global Gains selection. Southern Company and UPS are Motley Fool Income Investor picks. Motley Fool Options has recommended buying calls on Intel. The Fool owns shares of Berkshire Hathaway and Costco. Whew!

Fool contributor Dan Caplinger loves seeing what everyone else thinks about their stocks. He owns shares of Berkshire Hathaway and General Electric. Try any of our Foolish newsletters today, free for 30 days. The Fool's disclosure policy is simply the best.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:32 PM, Fool wrote:

BRLI,C,ELN,FRPT,IO,SIR

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:34 PM, dubyaisafairy wrote:

absolutely no reason f should be down 50 cents in two days. somebody's a doin some cheatin' in the ole stock exchange.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:34 PM, Fool wrote:

I ment SIRI not sir,thanks

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:36 PM, dubyaisafairy wrote:

siri needs to be a climbin a bit or us die hards are gonna dump!

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:45 PM, Fool wrote:

Look at the 6 stocks i posted and tell me your take on them.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Fool wrote:

Good choice and i dont diagree with you.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 1:51 PM, Fool wrote:

I ment dont disagree.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 5:25 PM, FlaschMurphy wrote:

Intel...? They have a few law suits on the go at the moment... I think they'll loose and the competition will gain market share as a result. Google may enter the hardware business too, but probably not with Intel.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 5:32 PM, Friendlysurfer wrote:

Dear Representatives of the Fool,

I own by chance half of the companies named (Apple, Berkshire, Google, Intel, Intuitive S., and NVDIA) and I will have a VERY close look at your other suggestions.

I would like to THANK you here. I actually never did... well, you kind of saved my life... this is NOT a joke.

I made some good money with your help in 2009 and I was an unemployed banker for 11 months of that year.

I got now a job to setup a new trading branch in Switzerland, first of Feb, so all is fine

Never the less, with your help I made almost as much money during my time being unemplyed

This is a BIG thank you for your stock recomendations from me (and my two ex wifes and their kids.... I would have had to fail for b.... without you, NO JOKE, THX)

Anyway, I already follow half your recs and I VERY GLADLY check the others

FOOL ON AS YOU DID UNTIL NOW!!!!!

K. L.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 5:40 PM, Fool wrote:

Intuit cannot provide meaningful technical support for its core products. I doubt a venture into web building services for their clients will be very fruitful. I dread the upgrades they have for Quicken, because I know friends and family alike will be calling asking me to come look at their computers to try and fix Quicken. Then if I have to call technical support...I get somebody in India who wants to charge me for the pleasure (and charge more than the software cost to begin with).

Vista Print took a similar path toward providing web services for their clients, and it has been disastrous.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 5:56 PM, jm7700229 wrote:

I think INVIDIA is pretty exciting right now. Of course, beating out Intel for the graphics market was a big plus, but the military market is going to be huge for these guys. Think of all the uses for extreme graphics in simulators, trackers, heads-up, drones and clones, tada, tada, tada. I'm not so sanguine about a one-year time-frame, but that's not my horizon anyway.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 5:57 PM, jm7700229 wrote:

Sorry, I meant NVIDIA (NVDA).

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 6:00 PM, jm7700229 wrote:

It still bothers me to see AAPL in this group. They need to run awfully fast just to stand still, and with a P/E in the mid-30s already, I think valuation gains are really speculative ( I don't do high P/Es).

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 6:08 PM, plange01 wrote:

my early buys are rimm,ctic,cers,c,and s..hoping these will produce in 2010..my best pick for 2009 was car..bought 105,000 shares at .0.36 - 1.00 sold from 10.50-13.00 you can do the math...not a bad gain and it beats working!

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 6:16 PM, KLE1 wrote:

I like most of your choices, but one name is missing and that's Goldman Sachs. Since I like to make money not necessarily percentages, Google would cost me $60K+ for 100 shares and if I'm lucky they may go up a $100 a share and I make $10K. On the other hand investing the same $60k in GS buys me some 350 shares and I think they will earn me over 2 and half times as much as GOOG. Making percentages is great but never as good as money on the bottom line.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 6:31 PM, kedo76 wrote:

MO. Come back and read this Jan 1, 2011 and weep cuz I told you.

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 7:06 PM, mscott2003 wrote:

I bought GE - wind turbines and CAT and a few more from your list. I am interested in Google and their Chrome product. It is the next generation of a web browser and program control. The next generation will have Internet access for all programs and the data will reside in your computer. Thus a smaller computer and virus will be controlled.

We in the construction industry are going to Construction Management Program that resides in data centers. This enables us to obtain access to our data 24/7 and from anywhere on the planet that has internet access.. Your thoughts?

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 7:09 PM, mscott2003 wrote:

I understand that BRK/B is going to split at 50 to 1. I thought that Buffet was against splits as it dilutes the power of the present stockholders?

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 7:10 PM, mscott2003 wrote:

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 8:54 PM, lebaresq wrote:

Of the items listed, UPS & Exelon meet my personal criteria, providing meaningful dividend payout to start with. 'Smart Balance' is in food and cosmetics sector which constitutes classic 'defensive' play in an uncertain market.

Achieved satisfactory performance over past 12 months from Smuckers, Unilever, Nestle', B&G Foods EIS (12% bond portion partly redeemed, balance still paying 12% + common div over 8%) along with passel of oil & gas MLP pipelines and a high-yield preferred (Entertainment Property REIT 'E'). New bets for 2010 include regional telcoms featuring double digit payouts (Alaska Tel, Frontier Tel); sector already proving worth with Iowa Tel (Windstream takeover pending).

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 9:27 PM, plange01 wrote:

2010 will be the year of the bankruptcy as the US enters its second year in a depression...

• Report this Comment On December 30, 2009, at 10:26 PM, mingvest64 wrote:

Are you trying to tell us something, Plange?

• Report this Comment On December 31, 2009, at 12:28 AM, j7777k wrote:

Good selection. I own 3. ATPG, Nvidia, and Intel.

All will do well in 2010. I suppose risk reward ratio will come into play as to which one outperforms. Currently I would rate that as ATPG #1, NVIDIA #2, and INTEL #3.

Good Articles for all 13 contenders.

Thanks

• Report this Comment On December 31, 2009, at 9:43 AM, Vince1172 wrote:

i like imax and slw for 2010.

• Report this Comment On December 31, 2009, at 12:29 PM, cmm3 wrote:

You're forgetting all the EAFE investments that are going to have great returns for 2010. Check out http://eafepro.com for recommendations of both stocks and Funds (ETFs, CEF, etc).

Some recommendations include BHP: http://eafepro.com/content/bhp-billiton-limited-bhp-stock-an...

• Report this Comment On December 31, 2009, at 5:43 PM, zhenchyld wrote:

As someone who makes his living building websites, I would bet strongly against INTUIT's foray into web dev software.

• Report this Comment On January 01, 2010, at 12:11 PM, Chinastocks55 wrote:

Posted by: JoTeng Date: Friday, January 01, 2010 11:38:37 AM

In reply to: None Post # of 21236

CWS: China Wind System on Nasdaq now.

Ratabanco made a very good point yesterday concerning China Wind Systems.

It went onto the Nasdaq on 12/29/2009 and opened very big and made a quick dip in the last 2 days of trading but is still up nicely on the listing.

The company would have been better served by waiting until the upcoming week to make the step up to Nasdaq.

The uplist got lost in the Christmas/New Year hoopla. The ECSC board members know about it but the general investing public missed this important news.

Imho, they will gain awareness this week.

Information is money.

Imho, China Wind Systems will be a very strong performer in the month of January and 2010 in general.

That is a sexy stock and will see serious money flow now that its on Nasdaq.

Investors should take some time to do the DD on that situation over the weekend, imho.

NOTE: China Wind Systems is involved in several of the very hottest growth areas in China. Take a look.

Company profile:

China Wind Systems, Inc., through its subsidiaries, engages in the manufacture and sale of textile dyeing and finishing machines; high precision forged rolled rings for the wind power industry; and other industries specialty equipment used in the production of coal generated electricity. The company?s Dyeing and Finishing segment designs, manufactures, and distributes a line of high and low temperature dye and finishing machinery. These products are used in dyeing yarns, such as pure cotton, cotton-polyester, terylene, polyester wool, poly-acrylic fiber, nylon, cotton ramie, and wool yarn. Its Forged Rolled Rings and Electrical Power Equipment segment designs, manufactures, and sells auxiliary equipment used to improve and promote efficient coal use at coking and power plants. Its product line comprises spiral plate heat exchanger, cross-tube gas cooler, cloth-type dust collector, and desulphurization regeneration tower. This segment also offers high precision forged rolled rings for use in the wind-generated power and other industries. The company also provides technology consulting services relating to water-treatment equipment, heat exchangers, coking equipment, and wind power generation equipment. It primarily serves coking plants and coal-fired power stations; and wind power and railway and heavy vehicle manufacturing industries in the People?s Republic of China. The company was formerly known as Malex, Inc. and changed its name to China Wind Systems, Inc. in December 2007. China Wind Systems, Inc. was founded in 1995 and is based in Wuxi City, Chi

China Wind System stock page in NY Times:

Note the 5 day chart on this page. A very nice buy-in op right now, imho.

CWS Nasdaq news:

• Report this Comment On January 01, 2010, at 7:34 PM, lifeforce019 wrote:

Why isn't "YUM" on the list of the best stocks for 2010?

• Report this Comment On January 01, 2010, at 7:42 PM, lifeforce019 wrote:

Would like some feedback on gelyf.pk from fellow fools. Seems like the purchase of Volvo should give them lots of ip re: 'clean' technologies.

• Report this Comment On January 01, 2010, at 11:54 PM, adutt1 wrote:

Mark my word gentlemen, Apple will surprise you all in no action for the year 2010.

• Report this Comment On January 04, 2010, at 1:49 PM, langco1 wrote:

best stocks for 2010 ...ba,rimm and c my small cap spec so far are..s,cers,ctic,etfc..

• Report this Comment On January 04, 2010, at 1:52 PM, langco1 wrote:

some of the biggest losers for 2010...aapl,brk-a,goog,gs,amzn,ibm..

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2010, at 1:30 PM, JaysRage wrote:

I like the ideas that fool nation came up with in the original post. There are some top notch picks in there. I don't like the candidate pool from the Fool staff at all. I refuse to pick from that pile of mediocrity.

• Report this Comment On January 23, 2011, at 11:15 PM, moneymog wrote:

Lanco1 got it right..... CERS, now dump all the others and buy tons more.

As JayeRage says... the rest is.... "that pile of mediocrity".