HP and Friends Will Kill the iPad

I think I've mentioned this once or twice before, but it bears repeating until it sinks in: the Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) iPad is not unique, nor necessarily the best of breed in the media tablet sector it is spearheading. And it ain't gonna help Apple shareholders any.

Sure, the iPad will sell a few million units to the Apple faithful, of whom there are many. Being very little else than an oversized iPod Touch, or an extra-large iPhone without the phone, iPads will appeal to the same people who already use the minuscule versions. But there's a flash flood of competing products coming up, and the iPad's selling points of brand name, stylish design, and familiar user experience will have a hard time overcoming what it lacks, like running multiple programs at once, presenting a full-featured Web experience with Adobe (Nasdaq: ADBE  ) Flash support, or doing anything you can't already get in the smaller iPod or iPhone packages.

Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ  ) , for instance, promises to present a tablet of its own that has been in development for five years, looks similar to the sleek iPad design, and gives you the full experience of a larger computer. This one has a customized Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT  ) Windows 7 operating system and full Flash support. "We could have released a slate two years ago, but it would have cost somewhere around $1,500," says HP's CTO for personal systems, Phil McKinney. "Since then, chip and screen advancements have given us the ability to create a product that can hit a size, weight, battery life, and price point that will make this product a mainstream offering."

The HP slate rocks an Intel (Nasdaq: INTC  ) Atom chip while the iPad runs on an ARM (Nasdaq: ARMH  ) processor developed in-house by Apple. If you want the ARM experience, there'll be plenty of opportunity for that outside the iPad, including multimedia monsters built around the NVIDIA (Nasdaq: NVDA  ) Tegra 2 ARM chip. The iPad is a market-defining device, but not likely to remain a top choice in the market it created for very long. It'll cannibalize iPod sales and sink in a sea of choices.

Apple's greatest innovation in the iPad seems to be the slim price point, which sounds a little bit backwards for an Apple launch. In the end, given these shortcomings the iPad will join the Apple TV in the footnotes of Apple's history.

Tell Anders to get over himself and tune into the Reality Distortion Field in the comments below.

Fool contributor Anders Bylund holds no position in any of the companies discussed here. Intel and Microsoft are Motley Fool Inside Value recommendations. Apple, Adobe Systems, and NVIDIA are Motley Fool Stock Advisor choices. The Fool has created a covered strangle position on Intel. Motley Fool Options has recommended a buy calls position on Intel. Motley Fool Options has recommended a diagonal call position on Microsoft. Try any of our Foolish newsletters today, free for 30 days. You can check out Anders' holdings and a concise bio if you like, and The Motley Fool is investors writing for investors.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:20 PM, rbtrader wrote:

I can see it now. Its April 2nd, a young man has been standing in front of an Apple store for hours to be among the first to get his pre-ordered iPad. At opening time, he excitedly pushes through the door and rushes to the counter. A clerk greets him cheerfully as the young man provides the information needed to get his prize. Transaction complete, he dashes out of the store and speeds back to his home.

Breathlessly opening the door, he rips open the packaging, plugs in the power supply, not waiting for the battery to charge he starts the iPad, and downloads a bunch of apps. The anticipation is almost beyond his capacity to cope as he pays for a magazine subscription on line and downloads the latest issue. His emotions are now at the greatest height of his life as he turns the cover page of the magazine on the most powerful ereader mankind has ever known.

As we leave this "fan boy" to his delight, reality breaks through the fog of anticipation, and a question comes to mind. Is life so dull for some people, that reading a magazine on an iPad is going to be exciting?

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:22 PM, rbtrader wrote:

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:24 PM, artlaz wrote:

I think you're dead wrong. The Apple touch user interface on a large screen device is a compelling combination that will be hard to beat. I have an iPhone and 2 Macs, but will still be ording an iPad tomorrow.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:36 PM, Winskidoodle wrote:

Heh heh. These are the same prognosticators that told us that Apple's iPod would fail, that Apple would only sell a few hundred thousand iPhones, that iTunes would never succeed.

It's nice that HP is putting together a tablet based on Windows 7. HP and Microsoft have never been able to duplicate the ease of use or the user experience that Apple provides. Just like the substandard phone and desktop experience, some will buy the HP offering because it's cheaper, but in the end, you'll only get the iPad experience from Apple. The consumer will recognize that and you'll be there the day after trying to figure out why people didn't listen to you.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:42 PM, marv08 wrote:

Hehe, you are so wrong, it is not even funny. Having something as complex as Windows 7 on a tablet is absolutely pointless. Windows OEMs try to make tablets successful since 2001 and have failed all the time. In almost ten years they have achieved to have one fully tablet-compatible application (MS's OneNote), while Apple has 140,000+ from day one. There is no need for complex control panels, idiotic driver installation or a browser that has a hundred security settings (which nobody understands anyhow) and still manages to be less safe and severely slower.

HP has some of the worst customer service in the industry, Windows 7 is no true multi-touch OS (it is not even an after-thought, it is just a travesty) and once you leave HPs glued-on second GUI, there will be stylus-hell all over the place. Yuck. Atom CPUs draw a lot more power, so battery life will not be anywhere close to the iPad. The only aspect where HP could compete is the price and I do not see that happening either.

Apple has a 100% multi-touch OS on the market (only Palm has something comparable), they have the ecosystem (iTunes, book store, app store), they have developers (more than 100,000), they have apps and they have a device that is ready and affordable. It is the third time they have a huge head-start. The "competition" is actually their guarantee for success. With over 50 tablets expected to arrive in 2010, running everything from Windows CE, via Android to Windows XP and 7, all having different resolutions, different button layouts and input methods, no apps, no ecosystem and no installed base of over 80 million touch devices... they will just scare people off – with so much choice, people will buy what is guaranteed to succeed.

Nobody will buy an iPad instead of or to replace an iPod, a 10" tablet is not a portable music player by any means. It might replace the MacBook Air for some - those only using the MBA to read emails and browser the Web on the go. It is not a bigger iPod touch, you can't even compare apps on the iPhone to e.g. iWork or Safari on the iPad. It is a new class of computing, one without complexity and hassle. It is truly unique, because it is the first truly personal, effortless and "always on" computer. Just because you do not get it, ...

Who cares for Flash? It is dead technology. More than 80 million people do not miss it on the iPhone or iPod touch. Web sites will adjust to use standards instead. They have to attract visitors, not vice versa.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:43 PM, Fredd109 wrote:

Yes, everyone who owns an iPod or iPhone is a loser and the cool people all have Zunes. HP's slate will have a battery life of about 2 hours running all those apps and Dell's 5 inch machine is a complete head scatcher that makes me wonder why are they even wasting resources on it. Dell is in complete limbo. I can't put it in my pocket and the screen is still too small to do e-reading. There have been billions spent in trying to compete with Apple. In the end, they are still the dominant mobile device maker and the iPad only furthers that dominance.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:44 PM, juanbaker wrote:

I have used many Mac products.

I have used many HP products.

Frankly, my dear, I will stick with Apple's stuff.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:45 PM, misternl wrote:

It's all about the software. Duh.

The hundred thousand programs already available, plus the legion of experienced and motivated developers, plus the easy method of acquiring software and being paid, means the ipad will be in a league of its own, just like the iphone.

imo

N

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:46 PM, hardlybuffet wrote:

I also have to disagree. The market has been getting flooded with reports of "other" tablet type devices that will be just as good or better than the iPad is expected to be. The problem lies in the fact that, many of the companies putting out such devices have tried before and failed. Many of the companies were trying to beat the Apple launch with their new products until the $499 price tag was announced. Now those companies have to go back and remove half the "features" because they won't be able to compete with price. In addition, a tablet running another version of Windows 7 does not sound appealing to me! Windows has left a bad taste in the mouth of the tech world and Windows 7 has not brought any new features worth a noting. Windows is not and will never be as user friendly as the iPad software.

As far as items that the iPad is missing...you are missing the point completely. It will not have a camera because its not intended to be a camera. It will not have flash player because flash is the number one cause of computer crashes. What else was there?

The point is this. The iPad is not intended to replace your desktop or laptop computer. It is intended for people to be able to sit in their living rooms and surf the web without pulling the coffee table over. It is intended for people to go to Starbucks and listen to music and read. Its intended to make the internet better and more accessible and I believe (as a shareholder) people are going to love that and in return so will the shareholders.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:53 PM, Mark1Wagner wrote:

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 3:54 PM, cotten999 wrote:

Congratulations! You have earned a spot on the iPad Death Watch.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:09 PM, tomgnh wrote:

I was an Apple enthusiast, and I made the mistake of buying Apple stock just before the Crash.

It's now up 20%. And I have seldom heard prognosticators not deride its potential.

I think the iPad will be a success. Not a game-changer, but a success.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:14 PM, aeosfool wrote:

and it'll be easy to work. Iphone imitators may have more features etc but an iphone is something anybody can use with ease..I tried to use other smartphones and it is very frustrating. Hundreds of thousands of apps, movies, songs, and photos will work beautifully from day on on this ipad.. Like the iphone, we'll forgive it that it doesn't play flash ads.

So funny to hear the same arguments again..thank god there were s many doubters though..it allowed me to make a ton of money on others ignorance.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:21 PM, AlanZ47 wrote:

I suspect that the iPad will do well, especially if it gets its price down. But I also believe there will be a big market for other tablets, because they will be cheaper and do a few basic functions that most non-power users will like. If you can easily get on the internet, read a book, do your email, IMs, etc. and also do some simple application work like word processing, personal finance, some games; I think you have something for the masses including older, middle-aged folks like myself, who don't see using an iPhone-like device for surfing the web, reading, or other functions. I don't take my laptop to the coffee shop, but I would take a tablet to read a book or the newspaper online (I still do it with a hardcopy), or check my emails, or look at photos. But I want to pay less than a cheap laptop or netbook, not $600 or more. Not when my very good HP laptop cost me under $500. I'd not hesitate to pay $300-400 for it, though. So, yes, Apple will sell a lot of iPads, if it delivers on functionality and applications, but there is an even bigger market for non-Apple versions, even without the all the slick Apple OS. That's why 95% of PC's are still not Macs. And I'm not an Apple basher. I worked for them for 5 years in the 80's when they first introduced the Mac.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:22 PM, xmmj wrote:

1- Anders: Have you ever seen one of the iPads?

If not, then you are talking through your hat.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:23 PM, xmmj wrote:

2- You care to put a little wager on that prediction?

:D

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:23 PM, algalli wrote:

HP has spent the last 5 years developing a piece of hardware. They still don't have a price or a release date. They are still Windows based. They don't have a product! I think this sums up the danger from Apples competitors.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:27 PM, PointeBasic wrote:

I've been reading the Motely Fool for many years and they have always poo poo'd APPL. Luckily I never listened and stock I have held since 2002 is up 1900% and 2003 1800%. No I didn't add an extra zero.

Makes you wonder what else they have been so wrong on.

This is supposed to be the place where you get unique and original analysis, but this article seems to be a rehash of the introduction of the iPhone, which was a rehash of the introduction of the iPod....

Sad really,

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:32 PM, oldretailer wrote:

Usually I don't write on any of these boards, but I just get tired of the wrong people giving advice. There appear to be a lot of smarter people here, and most of them are right. I spent 40 years in Electronic's retailing and was very successful with some major companies.

Mr. Bylund probably knows computers, but does not know retailing. This is not a tablet, this is an Apple. Many people buying it have no idea what a tablet is.

There is not a day goes by that I don't hear people talking about what their iphone does or how much they love their ipod.

All of the people talking and all of the people listening will buy these. I will buy one because I am 60 years old, Palm won't do anything for people that want an organizer, and my Palm is too hard to read because I am getting old. I will buy one, put a few apps for business on it, use the "Contacts" app and throw away my Palm. I have laptop, and don't need another one.

I learned a long time ago to listen to the consumer and not be influenced by what products are "logical" and not to be emotional about retail products. That was about 20 years ago and that is when I bought Apple stock. Did I mention THIS IS AN APPLE.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:32 PM, xmmj wrote:

Malcolm's first maxim:

EASY IS GOOD!

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:40 PM, Rondan wrote:

This article by Anders Bylund is not only myopic, but seems also to be an attempt at Apple stock manipulation.

This is a good example of why I don't trust information or advice from Motley Fool. Bylund clearly has no clue about Apple and this article makes him an authentic fool.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:46 PM, mountain8 wrote:

As an aside, currently growing to be the largest segment of our population is old folks, not kids/teens. Those teeny screens are impossible for me to read. I'll save my Apple vote for after I've seen, and been able to read, the new product.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:47 PM, willengage wrote:

And I say that you are TRUELY a FOOL!

These things are over 50 percent profit, and will see in the 10s of million. That WILL do a lot for Apple shareholders.

Let's come back in one year and see who's right!

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:54 PM, mountain8 wrote:

Bylund is only one of MFs employees. You should read some of the others. If MF didn't offer both sides of the story, they'd be so biased no one would subscribe. Different premium sections of MF dissagree alot. Mainly because they have different investing philosophies, different goals and different vehicles.

MF consistantly beats everybody else I know of so what if they miss a bit on Apple. Name me anybody that's 100% right and I'll quit being a christian. I own Apple and I am subscribed to MF. They don't make my choices for me, and they are not my only sourse. They're just one of the best. (PS.I don't work there).

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 4:55 PM, brianjweiss wrote:

I disagree also. I do IT work and own two HP computers, and have owned 3 Dells in the past, and am tired of having to fix them. Microsoft IE web surfing is extremely slow. I switched to Google Chrome early this week and am amazed with the speed. My kids love to play on a Mac anytime they can get their hands on one. My dad who is 81 has a Mac and does fine. It's all about useability and speed. My next PC will be a MAC

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:07 PM, albertgoedkoop wrote:

It is very amusing to notice that the tech-kids as usual are missing the whole picture. If Apple wanted to do so, they would have made a tablet that exceeded your expectations, but than at a price twice or three times the current price.

What we will get is a tool that will herald a new era, at least for the way we 'consume' information from our newspapers, but also for webbrowsing and a lot of our daily business in or around the house.

I will buy at least two iPads, one Wifi-iPad for in the living room and one 3G for in the train on the way to my office.

I can't wait to lay my hands on all the content it will bring to me and from a shareholders point of view: 13 month ago the stock was at a low-point of 79 $, now it has reached an all-time high of 225,50 $. Not too bad an investment.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:10 PM, swilson007 wrote:

I can tell you what would fail... a tablet based on Apple OS X. As someone said - it's the software silly. A simple device of that size that is touch screen based will have a market. But, the key is the applications we use on it. They need to be designed from the ground up to be multi-touch centric. OS X applications are not. MS Windows 7 applications are not. iPhone/iTouch applications are.

Windows tablets have been around for years and have done nothing. It's not a hardware issue. The problem is that they always end up running standard version of apps on some version of Windows. It's effectively a laptop in a different skin.

Luckily Apple gets it, which is why they astutely re-worked their productivity apps for the tablet. Time will tell but I'm excited as a shareholder.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:23 PM, Techlog wrote:

Lot of Apple fan answers. Just want to tamper enthusiast. I agree with some remark from the author. HP may lead the revenge of the new device here. If they spend 5 years on developpement, and as their Tech officer said, in collaboration with users, I suppose they will relaese a product that they are pretty sure will make a smash. BTW Microsoft is apparently investing 1 Billion in Mobile initiative. So don't drop the ball to fast on competition. Yes, iPad will be a good product, will reach Apple fans, but this time competition will be real. Like in the phone business, there is the iPhone and RIMM. Don't know if we will see a HP & Apple splitt of the pie for the iSlate/iPad stuff. We will see soon.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:24 PM, rgardner101 wrote:

windows based tablets, can anyone say virus?

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:25 PM, rgardner101 wrote:

Windows based tablets, can anyone say virus?

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:31 PM, shamel007 wrote:

Well, only geeks buy a gadget solely based on the spec sheet. The rest of the world buys a user experience. And believe me, the Apple user experience brings much more satisfaction to the average user than a multitasking Android or Windows system. The average user prefers less features that work well as opposed to hundreds of obscure features that only 2% of the population knows how to use. On small tablet PC, less is better. My two cents...

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:38 PM, oldretailer wrote:

I saw an article on another site where one of the people writing in said his company had pre-ordered over 500 for all of their people on the road.

500 doesn't mean a lot in the scheme of things, but it does indicate some varying interest out there.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 5:52 PM, oldretailer wrote:

Another quick comment. Several people are referring to "Apple fans" as though it is a small group. If you include iphone and ipod users, I would be happy with $1.00 from each.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 6:24 PM, pcguyflorida wrote:

The reason Apple doesn't include many features is because they slowly release features to get there cool-aid drinking fan base to buy them every year. I just installed Win 7 on a 6 year old computer and it runs flawless!! I have also installed it on a new i7 water cooled system with 3 SLI video cards and all the latest hardware and I didn't even have to install one driver. Windows will run on any hardware, even a Frankenstein machine let's see Apple try that. I am an individual, I like to control what media, applications and operating system goes on my hardware. I don't want anybody restricting what I do with my purchase. That is why 25% of iPhone users jailbreak their phones. As far as the iPad or (iMaxipad as I hear it called). This has got to be the stupidest device coming on the market. oh yeah they have 150,000 apps too bad 40,000 are tip calculators. How many versions of the same app do you need! Who is going to sit in a chair for 2 hours and hold that thing to watch a movie. Who has such a dismal life that they have to carry that thing around to amuse themselves (more like try to show off how cool they are). I am 40 years old, I make a handsome salary and only have to work 20 hours a week because of my great partnership with Microsoft and the open source community. The only one that can make money on Apple products is Apple and they don't even pay a dividend on their stock. The reason why Apple does not allow flash is not because of the quality of the software, it is because developers could bypass the iTunes store and offer software for download strait to the phone. And in the Computer forensic community which I am a part of we love getting Mac's and iPhone's in the lab because of how easy it is to bypass the security, hell the iPhone even decrypts for you as you image it, and guess what every text and email you ever sent is on that large hard drive, even know you deleted it.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 6:27 PM, pcguyflorida wrote:

I would rather have a dollar from every Microsoft user 95% more money!

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 6:35 PM, 98analysis wrote:

Wish I had read these comments first, I just voted in HP's proxy vote.

Don't forget to exercise your shareholder right to vote, fellow Fools!

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 6:48 PM, gslusher wrote:

@Mark1Wagner:

"In a year or two this article will be something the author is embarrassed he ever published."

No way. These guys have no shame. They go on and on and never look back. The really weird thing is that their employers don't seem to, either. If they did, there would be several high-flying "analysts" who cover Apple who would be working in car washes right now.

From the article: "Being very little else than an oversized iPod Touch, or an extra-large iPhone without the phone ..."

Daniel Eran Dilger covered that point in the first of his "10 Myths About the iPad."

As for Flash support, *NO* mobile device supports all Flash features. (Heck, a lot of desktops don't, either, as they're too slow, like my iMac G4.) Also, Flash, other than plain videos, is often heavily tied to the presence of a cursor (e.g., mouse), including hovering and rollovers, which don't work well (if at all) with a touch interface.

"Hewlett-Packard (NYSE: HPQ), for instance, promises to present a tablet of its own that has been in development for five years, looks similar to the sleek iPad design, and gives you the full experience of a larger computer."

YIKES! I don't *WANT* the "full experience of a larger computer," including 30-second to 2-minute boot up times; tool bars & window frames that take up precious screen space (try a older 12" laptop to see what I mean); background tasks that slow the computer to a crawl; an arcane file system that seems designed to make it difficult to find anything; 1,297,482 icons on the desktop; etc. Watch how many HP tablet users will be forced to get a mouse in order to really use Windows 7 (and an external keyboard).

Also, I'm not going to be doing stuff on a tablet that would require or even benefit from "the full experience of a larger computer." I don't use Office, even on a "larger computer," because it's too complex, too slow, and bloated. The iPad versions of Pages, Numbers & Keynote will probably do just about everything I need to do. (I'll bet that FileMaker comes out with an iPad version of Bento, as well.)

Basically, I want a device that I can carry around (not in a pants pocket, obviously, though I have some jackets that can carry an iPad) to read books (the iPad is not much bigger or heavier than many hardback books); watch videos (my old iPod 5.5G's screen is too small for my elderly eyes); keep track of information I need (contacts, schedules, to do's, and simple flat databases, which I now do with spreadsheets with Documents to Go on my Palm TX); check email when I'm away from home (gotta watch those eBay auctions!); look up stuff on the web (I've gotten really good at using display computers at Best Buy, etc, to look up and compare prices); view photos (not ALL of them--I have over 130 GB); etc. I don't need Photoshop, Office, or fancy games.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 7:02 PM, stan8331 wrote:

As an IT guy, I personally will never go for Apple's "don't worry your little head about those nasty technical details" approach. But I can't deny that they make sexy products that a great many people love to use.

I suspect that underestimating the iPad will work out just about as well as underestimating the iPod and the iPhone have in the past...

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 7:08 PM, adamtr wrote:

Letme start by saying that I am a dyed in the wool Microsoft booster and was *extremely* late to jump on the iPhone bandwagon... My initial reaction was, "why would I want an ipod in my phone?" that's ridiculous...

About a year into my iPhone conversion, I am still finding new reasons to love Apple for this product. It has changed my life more than just about any purchase I can ever think of making. In my life. EVER.

That said, I think most comments here and the article's author are missing the point... This has *little* to do with the hardware and *everything* to do with the software- especially the ease of purchase and relatively low price of software and media for the iPod, iPhone, and soon iPad.

Yeah, the devices are cool and the touch screen is nice, but where Microsoft, HP, and others are completely missing the boat is in having a huge marketplace of valuable programs (and media) that are easily accessible and cheap. Ultimately, *this* is what makes me love the iPhone. "There's an Ap for that," brilliantly summarizes this value proposition and it's what will make it so hard for the PC makers to catch up... It's ironic, becase that used to be the real advantage that PC's had over AAPL- the multitude of software.

Not sure if the iPad will be a huge hit or just a big hit, but if it is only big, it won't be because of competitors like HP... It will be because consumers aren't ready for this category of computuer.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 8:01 PM, beetlebug62 wrote:

Oh, please, more prognostication from Anders? For the guy who got the 1.5M T-Mo G1s pre-sold wrong, and the same guy who called Apple the Worst stock for 2010, you now want to add predictions about iPad killers?

You wrote "the Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL) iPad is not unique, nor necessarily the best of breed in the media tablet sector"

Anders, the iPad is NOT a tablet computer. It is a computing appliance. Tablet computers use laptop cpus and laptop OSes, just like your HP Slate. The iPad does not use a laptop cpu or a laptop OS, cause it's not a tablet computer.

You wrote, "Being very little else than an oversized iPod Touch, or an extra-large iPhone without the phone, iPads will appeal to the same people who already use the minuscule versions."

You make it sound as if being a larger iPod touch is a bad thing? Why is that? Prior bias?

Is it because they are not successful? I mean, how may iPod touches and iPhones have they sold so far? Over 60M? I'd say that's significantly more than the number of tablet computers in the same timeframe.

You wrote, " have a hard time overcoming what it lacks, like running multiple programs at once, presenting a full-featured Web experience with Adobe (Nasdaq: ADBE) Flash support, or doing anything you can't already get in the smaller iPod or iPhone packages."

Tell me what the advantage is for running multiple 3rd-party apps? Pandora in the background? Developers have started to figure out how to run radio in the background. Flash apps requires a user-interaction feature set, like hover, that tablets don't have. Sure, tablets can run Flash video, but most video like Youtube already runs H.264 video that's perfectly fine, and many if not most video purveyors are considering using H.264, a web standard. Flash is NOT a web standard, no matter how ubiquitous.

You wrote, "looks similar to the sleek iPad design, and gives you the full experience of a larger computer."

Okay, so, it has an Atom chip with Win7 OS. Guess what, it's a netbook without the keyboard. And, since it's sleek, there isn't more than a 3-cell battery in there, and we KNOW how long a netbook with a 3-cell battery lasts, at most, 3 hours. And, you'll get Windows virii with that "full experience of a larger computer".

Anders, your analysis is on par with John Dvorak, Rob Enderle, Paul Thurrott, Scott Moritz and the like. It's laughably bad. Keep your head in the sand.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 8:51 PM, eschatologist wrote:

- "I still can't believe this! All this hype for something so ridiculous! Who cares about an MP3 player?"

- "All that hype for an MP3 player? Break-thru digital device? The Reality Distiortion Field is starting to warp Steve's mind if he thinks for one second that this thing is gonna take off."

- "Better bring that price down or you wont sell any of these babies"

Comments from MacCentral readers after the October 2001 iPod introduction

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 9:02 PM, mikenpdx wrote:

I think I fall somewhere in the middle here. It's a huge disappointment that Apple did not resolve being able to provide support for Adobe Flash. Absolutely unacceptable. I have an itouch 2nd generation, multiple ipods and will eventually get a Mac at some point but I am not buying another itouch, iphone, or ipad until they resolve the adobe flash thing.

The ipad is not going to be a huge success unless they follow up with a 2nd generation version fairly soon that addresses Flash, has a microphone and webcam so you can use Skype, and maybe a few other bells and whistles. It looks great but it really is just an oversized ipod touch. Nothing groundbreaking or revolutionary there as far as I am concerned.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 9:10 PM, pcguyflorida wrote:

Lisa, Apple IIc, Pippin, Newton, Apple TV, TAM, Macintosh TV, the Cube and now add the iPad to the list of useless products!

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 9:14 PM, dandles2020 wrote:

Itunes. The app store. Developers frothing at the mouth to convert their Iphone apps for the Ipad. Don't you think any of this gives Apple an advantage over HP? Guess what, it does, greatly.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 9:40 PM, baldheadeddork wrote:

The iPad will destroy Windows tablets and netbooks just like Apple TV crushed TiVo.

Wait...

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 10:11 PM, baldheadeddork wrote:

@ beetlebug

"You don't get it, the iPad is NOT a tablet computer, precisely to avoid virii, to mitigate the battery life issue, and to not be a computer, but an appliance."

We are in total agreement. The iPad is an appliance. It doesn't have revolutionary design like the original iPod, or revolutionary functions like the iPhone. Everything on it has been seen before in a smaller package. It is an appliance by every definition but one- its price. And that is a big problem.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 10:30 PM, jameskatt wrote:

Please., oh please. Manipulate Apple's stock downwards. Please, oh please.

Apple's stock is the most heavily manipulated in the market by pundits.

It is a fantastic stock because of this, once you realize that you can buy it when it is low and sell when high and that the highs and lows come in cycles as pundits talk the stock down. This allows people to enter and buy Apple stock and make tons of money.

I love NEGATIVE reports about the iPad.

• Report this Comment On March 11, 2010, at 10:56 PM, RipRagge wrote:

Funny article. Hyman G. Rickover, the father of nuclear power, once observed that if you can't put your hand on the shoulder of the man who's responsible, NOBODY is responsible.

HP, Yahoo!, and Google will have to convene meetings across the country to establish who is going to do what to ensure the success of their platform. When a customer has a complaint and calls Google, it's a hardware issue. If that customer calls HP, it's a service issue. Yahoo! will explain how to find the fix at Google's website.

Three entities will converge at the table where the money is piled up. The table with angry consumers will be visited reluctantly by all three claiming the problem was caused by one or both of the others.

I have never heard of Apple blaming AT&T for any problems with the iPhone.

My daughter's fiancé had internet problems. They called Apple because he uses a MacBook and an AirPort for internet. Even though the problem turned out to be cable-company owned, non-Apple equipment, the Apple service rep stayed on the line until the problem was resolved.

When you can get that kind of service from Google-HP-Yahoo!, you'll convince me.

No one of the three will own, or assume ownership of, the entire user experience. Apple does.

Yes. They can build better hardware and software. Yes, they can create a better service and user interface. Apple will take full responsibility for the whole enchilada. They will, at least in part, blame each other for flaws.

Advantage: Apple

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 12:32 AM, smalls313131 wrote:

Give one point that hp and windows has beat apple in a screen device!

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 3:27 AM, alimaamoser wrote:

Funny, I heard the same thing when the iphone was announced; it lacks this or it lacks that..but the real beauty of this product, other than its pure physical beauty which should not be discounted, is that it works.

<a href="http://www.articlesbase.com/health-articles/livea-diet-suppl...

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 4:42 AM, khoonie wrote:

This is one of the main reasons I don't take advice from MF articles anymore - they make claims that don't make sense and then don't take responsibility if and when they are wrong.

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 5:52 AM, TMFZahrim wrote:

If you want to see a Fool defending the iPad's honor, try this article by Tim Beyers:

Anders

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 10:31 AM, TMFZahrim wrote:

Also, here's a rundown of a few attractive non-iPad tablets. If the HP model doesn't impress you, maybe the Notion Ink Adam will:

Anders

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 11:39 AM, verdure wrote:

We'll see. I don't see a use for it in my life. I like my iphone, so I'm not predjudiced against Apple, but I'll wait and watch. Some of you are pretty confident that it's going to be gangbusters but I suspect that you have skin in the game and may not be entirely objective.

Its a recession out there folks, and if there isn't a payback, the mainstream is not going to bite.

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 11:41 AM, DellSpa wrote:

I think everyone is missing the boat on the iPad...think of it as the iCloud, because that is what it is or will be. It will be the first true machine to move us to "Cloud Computing". With Google mail, docs, calendars and picasa...you are liberated from storing anything on your machine, all you need is the iPad "iCloud" to connect you to the internet. Liberation from your laptop is coming!

Brian

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 1:56 PM, jpanspac wrote:

The iPad will cannibalize iPod sales?? Can you clip an iPad to your belt?

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 2:04 PM, Custis111 wrote:

The Mac will never make it, er, I mean, iTunes will never make it, I mean, the iPhone will never make it, er, the iPad will never make it.

Blah, blah, blah, blah.

AAPL $226.78 2:03 EST

Scoreboard.

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 3:02 PM, oobergeek wrote:

You couldn't be more wrong.

The iPad is the consumate 'child pacification device' and that's where it'll succeed.

Load it up with TV & Movies, let the kid buy a bunch of games for it and away we go. Kid sits in the back seat of the car, in the airport, in the plane, in the store at the mall, in the restaurant, you name it, and they are happy as a clam, occupied and QUIET.

iPad will hurt Nintendo most, but other gaming platforms too.

And it's big screen will also get seniors comfortable with the social internet.

Boomers + kids = success

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 3:14 PM, nwjh wrote:

The iPad will allow people to do things they can't do now, which opens up the market into new areas. Hello! You can't take the old approach of "it's lacking this important feature in some market category, so it will fail" when the device is for new markets. (Note: the iPad doesn't have fibre-optic built in, so it will fail for that short-coming, too.) This is the old problem of not being able to see what's not there yet, and therefore totally discounting the possibility that anything could ever be there. The prediction that the entire world market for computers would be 4 was just the first of these prediction in the IT sphere! The iPod opened up new markets, but it was the iTunes Store that made all the difference (software enables hardware, not the other way round). None of it was overnight, but the possibilities kept growing. The depth of capabilities in the iPod (even my old 3G) still amazes me.

The iPad is about movement with the device, which is why it doesn't have a video camera (not in this version) because you have to hold it still to keep yourself in the picture (try it some time with a hand-held webcam, while you are trying to talk, gesture, and work the keyboard!). But you could plug in a USB webcam, sit it on the coffee table and use that! Then you can move around (a bit)! Laptops pretty much require you to have a lap, i.e., sitting, as do desktops. You have to stop moving to type. If you are moving, you can't be doing too many things at once, so multi-tasking isn't very important. No way will I be doing a major Photoshop or AutoCAD project while walking down the street (do people really expect to do that stuff?!), but I will check map/directions, calendar, e-mail, etc. As with the iPhone, I can listen to music while I'm working on a Keynote presentation (or run an app on the iPhone), and the device will still check my mail. That's 3 things at once; how much more multi-tasking can I handle without running the CPU or battery life into the ground? Or running out of attention span / screen space / 7+/-2 cognitive limits / etc.

When I want to do serious work, like CAD or GIS, I sit down where I can spread stuff about, and I like dual (or more!) screens so I can keep lots of things going at once. I want raw CPU power and massive graphics. But I don't do that all the time, and if I'm heading across town to a meeting, the iPhone is what I need for directions, but I still need my laptop to run the presentation. As a Keynote user, the iPad will let me take the presentation to the meeting or class, as well as do everything the iPhone can, except make calls and take pictures. I can live with that, and in fact I can do very well with that, as I can also pass the iPad around at a single-table meeting (no projector), in a way that is awkward with a laptop, and impossible with a desktop ("Gather round, guys, and watch over my shoulder!").

@DellSpa has hit the other key issue. Unlike the iPhone (too small a screen), the iPad will lend itself to controlling large jobs in the Cloud. Think batch processing with data collected in the field using the iPad or iPhone. The iPhone can collect location, orientation and imagery. Add a laser distance measurement device and you have a great 3-D spatial data collection unit. Hello again! You don't need all the processing power in the device in your hand. Think mainframe, think client-server, think smart terminals, think 60 years of IT. The Cloud is still new and rough around the edges (excuse the mixed metaphor!), but the iPad may be the best tool to work the Cloud away from your desk. Put the human interaction power in the device attached to the human; put the computational power anywhere and connect the two. Apple gets that, even if it doesn't control the Cloud. It's about the user, not the IT department. Maybe that makes Apple a consumer products company: so what's wrong with that? Benefit from the productivity advantages of using their products; look cool doing it; profit on their shares. Where's the downside?

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 4:29 PM, zoeyves wrote:

I think I should write a blog stating that the iPad will be a complete failure. It will get an incredible amount of traction! ;-)

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 4:58 PM, oldretailer wrote:

Yep! $10 million an hour at the minimum. Looks like another loser to me!

"Apple did not respond to requests for comment about preorders. Some Apple watchers, however, reported on blogs and at online IT media sites that preorders were coming in at the rate of 20,000 per hour."

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 5:50 PM, Turfscape wrote:

Another article written solely to stir emotional debate and drive traffic to TMF, artificially inflating their ad revenues.

• Report this Comment On March 12, 2010, at 9:41 PM, sleepinginny wrote:

this article is ridiculous....open your eyes to history....how many times have we heard the same argument? Mac OS versus Windows? Ipod versus microsoft ZUNE? Iphone versus HP IPAQ? This is just more blah, blah, blah from either the ignorant or the haters. Ipad will once again be the "best in class" and will once again be the standard by which other similar products are measured. To think otherwise is just diluting yourself.

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 12:13 AM, FoolishObserver wrote:

I think that one of the contributors to the success of the Iphone and Ipod in all of its variations, and hopefully with the Ipad is not the devices all by themselves. These are all great little devices, but I think that the Itunes internet application, and I presume the "Ibook" store, the part they give away, enable these things to work as well as they do. The docking procedure works smoothly, as do the products. It seems fairly worry free and I feel like when I buy something from their store, I feel fairly confident that it will be on my computer and then on the device. I like the one stop app that allows me to listen to radio stations while I work on my pc. I like the ability to pick and choose what song that I want and buy that song without having to buy an entire album. I do not work as programmer, but I think my experience as a user with different other programs helps me to recognize a good program when I see it.

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 12:42 AM, baldheadeddork wrote:

@nwjh - Cloud computing is great for applications that use a lot of data and little processing power, because drive space is cheap and you can run thousands of word processing apps on a server without affecting the user.

Processor-intensive cloud apps like you're describing aren't feasible and won't be any time in the foreseeable future, because processor speeds and costs have plateaued. There would be an additional problem with using processor-intensive cloud applications over a wireless network because of latency and bandwidth limitations.

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 3:24 AM, kenrexb wrote:

totally disagree with this article. i tell you, ipad will change everything...imagine a stock broker holding an ipad taking orders from the stock market =P or a waiter taking your orders using an ipad or you going to a restaurant looking at the menu thru the ipad...countless possibilities, time to open up your mind =)

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 6:19 AM, nirajkrishna wrote:

Is there something wrong with you people? For one, businesses are not first adopters so you will never see a waiter using an ipad unless it is his own (and exactly how would anyone justify that cost?) If you see a restuarant doing this then let me know so I can short that stock into the dirt. The ipad will not be strong enough to run any stock broker program that I can think of and if/by the time one is developed, I can assure you the ipad will not be relevant. If you use a direct access broker then take a look at how much processing power is still needed on the client side. Let the cloud handle it all and you will see one very poor stock broker that buys and sells stock on old data.

Now one thing Apple is doing right here is what you have to do when your equipment is going to be the most inferior hardware wise in the game.... Get there first! Think Playstation 2 vs Xbox. It seems Apple fans have caught a case of the Microsoft's "No one can beat us" mentality... The problem here is that the competitors are not the weakest and will be joining the party very fast. But one poster noted that you all should take a look at the Notion Ink's "Adam" (I know....weird name... "Adam" vs. "Apple"). If you take a look with an objective eye and would still say you prefer an ipad, then a stroke or something may have affected some of your brain function.

Another poster said something about not needing Flash. Sure you could get by with it on your phone, but without it on the ipad.... well good luck convincing yourself that you are happy with that purchase.... I guess you can always pay for media until you are dead broke while the rest of us can enjoy it using the most common format in the freaking world for free! The Adam will boot in 3 seconds vs 10 ipad. It can show 1080p vs 480 ipad. It has HDMI out, rotational webcam, better screen, better ereader, more processor power, twice the battery life, and is cheaper. It also has people excited about its capabilities instead of compensating its abilities. I am glad Apple has brought a dormant sector of computing back to life, but do not think for a second that it is their market to dominate. Remember they dont dominate any market in reality. RIMM and Windows are on TONS more smart phones.... Mac computer sales were 5th for christmas, so they are losing ground there... And the tablet world has NEVER been the most lucrative....

Isnt conventional wisdom to sell when everyone and their dog is so bullish? If they were doing so well... then wouldnt there be one shareholder who has made a dime off them without having to sell their stock? I am talking a dividend that EVERYONE of their competitors pay.... If you think you are making money by investing in AAPL instead of trading it then I have a bag you can hold the next time Steve needs a new kidney or wants to beat cancer again... I dont want anything bad to happen to anyone's money, but you have to sober up before the party ends. If there is a lot of upside left to this stock, I hope it is enough for you all to risk the amount you all stand to lose.... Starting to smell bubbly over at AAPL. Thx for letting me rant...

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 7:17 AM, WTHAmIDoing wrote:

I have to disagree... iPad has a little corner of its own.. I'll agree I was disappointed when I learned it's running the iPhone OS rather than (even a scaled down version of) Snow Leopard but then I thought about why I wanted it... was it to replace my iMac? no... but I wanted something more portable - but would I buy a laptop? no.. what I wanted was something to use in place of my iPhone while I laid on the sofa (while my daughter monopolized the TV with Disney channel) or while I vegetated just before bed, looking over stocks, emails or articles... A laptop is too much but the iPhone is just a little too small and yet the ebook readers just don't cut it and the tablet PC's don't have that consistency i'm used to. Sure people adapt to change but in this case the iPad has the price, familiarity and hassle free advantage for me.. I'm sure I'm not alone in wishing it would run Snow Leopard as well but for now I'm sold.

BTW - no I don't own Apple stock - I just bought my first Mac 3 months ago!

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 8:45 AM, contrarydave wrote:

Anders

I do not know if you have ever followed apple.

HP and Friends Will Kill the iPad.. blah blah blah

your comments could have been written years ago when the ipod came out or the phone.

hp and friends did not release their version of the slate before apple. why? if they are so good why didnt they. you say they have been doing it for 5 years.

if they have a great product and a business plan to make money why do they all wait till apple announces their device before they unveil theirs? are they followers or leaders? i say the latter.

they want apple to create the market so they can claim the scraps.

i do not know how successful apple's product will be. i will know that better in a month after i get to try it.what i do know is these other products wont be as good as apple's. i am sure they were surprised at the price.

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 2:47 PM, Yellowshock1970 wrote:

I am betting on Apple. Not a fan boy at all... more of an anti-fanboy towards ANYTHING that runs on MSFT products... they do not work very well, are seriously overpriced on the software side and are launched prematurely. I am betting on the iPad. The writer of the article has obviously never used an Ipod combined with something like Boingo. For 8$ a month I can get free calls, internet and unlimited downloads... globally.

• Report this Comment On March 13, 2010, at 6:58 PM, 42theflush wrote:

I still pine for 3G, now 4G, enabled iPod Touch.

• Report this Comment On March 14, 2010, at 2:04 PM, ikkyu2 wrote:

6945.

That's a number that's embedded in my mind, because in 2005, when the iPhone was still a gleam in Steve Jobs' eye, Hewlett Packard was putting out a "3G smartphone" with that model number. It did email, calendaring, SMS chat, and it had a (high-power) GPS chip for realtime satnav (software available at extra cost.) I wanted one enough that I was willing to shell out the $700 - but there was no US localized model, and no ability to connect it to a US network. HP had the product fabbed, but wasn't able to get it into the hands of the consumer.

Fast forward to 2007: an iPhone rev 1 is in my pocket. Fast forward to now: an iPhone 3GS is in my pocket, doing all the things HP promised me in 2005.

Why did Apple execute right, and HP execute wrong? And why do you think that tide has turned?

• Report this Comment On March 17, 2010, at 7:42 PM, plange01 wrote:

not many people seem interested in the ipad a rare miss for apple...

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2010, at 3:02 AM, allied35 wrote:

My boss was one of those guys who built his own PCs and was always telling me about my Mac that "Mac is ok but with Windows you can... blah blah blah... which you can't with a Mac".

Then a few months back his wife bought him an iPhone.

He wouldn't shut up about it! Then he went out and bought a MacBook Air and loves it.

The only people who knock Apple are Apple virgins.

People are switching to Apple in droves, nobody switches from Mac to Windows.

I have a new Acer one with the Intel Atom/windows 7 combo mentioned in the Article. It is slow and constantly tells me "shutting down in 59 seconds to install updates..."

HP's tablet will be crap.

My Acer sits collecting dust. I'd rather use my 5 year old Mac.

Once you go Mac, you never go back.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2010, at 7:46 AM, keane11 wrote:

The best way I can describe this article is foolish, please note the absence of inverted commas'. In the interest of full disclosure I should say that I worked as a technician and engineer in Apple for eleven years. I'm not sure now if leaving Apple's employment in 1998 was an error or not, but I am very sure that selling the stock some years later was. I would not bet against history repeating itself in this regard, and I can see the ipad being a huge success against all comers in the space which after all has largely been created by Apple.

• Report this Comment On March 18, 2010, at 2:27 PM, wikiBuddha wrote:

The number one cause of computer crashed is not Flash. Viruses are. User error is number two. Sure, flash can be buggy and seems most compatible with Winblows, but let's treat it properly. It is a big deal.

If a "computing" product does not support flash, it needs to be clear what it supports. Nevertheless, it is a good point that the iPhone does appear to be successful without flash...

I would like to see more use of JavaFX (an alternative to flash). Unfortunately, it doesn't look like Apple plans to support it (it's based on Java).

I don't care much for Apple as a company, to be honest. I don't like the deals they've been striking to discourage competition.

But, there are enough fools out there that want their shiny products that make me consider Apple's stock.

You get what you pay for? Maybe. Apple will get my business before M$, but I'm a power user and Linux appeals most to me. I've been a Linux convert for a year now and there's not much looking back. It's difficult to get set up, but once it works, it's not prone to degradation.

I'm still looking for an Android phone to suit me. I want to use Verizon as my carrier, but they're too pricey. However, I got the idea last night to purchase verizon stock, enough to get dividends equal or greater to the cost of annual services, that way, they'll basically pay me to use their service. I'm curious if anyone else thinks this is a good idea or if they'd rather reinvest the dividends. (I'm 27 and while I inherited a mutual fund from my grandpa, I've barely looked at it until recently; I'm new to this game).

As I write this, I feel more compelled to invest in Google, esp. after reading the article indicating plans for Google to move into the interactive TV market, which I support and have high hopes of improving that market.

• Report this Comment On April 01, 2010, at 11:18 AM, fauxscot wrote:

Folks....

Calm down. This is April 1st.

Mr. Bylund is obviously having a little fun.

Nothing else could explain this modest effort at reasoned argument.

Very funny, Bylund. I am really impressed.

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2010, at 10:14 AM, bghouse wrote:

It's not just the design, the OS, the interface, or the price point, it's the fact that apple sells the razor *and* the blades! Others will sell a device, and users will buy their software from various sources and kludge it together to work. Then they'll figure out from whom they'll get content - music, books, video, and buy from them. I bought APPL when I heard that they would be selling books in addition to music and apps! Those iPads are not just game-changing devices in regards to media consumption, they are portable, hand-held buying machines! And Apple is going to be doing the selling!

• Report this Comment On April 17, 2010, at 10:17 AM, bghouse wrote:

Oh, and never underestimate being first to market, nor being Apple. Ever notice the difference in aftermarket devices supporting iPods, iPhones, etc? All those cute clock radios with iPod docks? Think your Zune is gonna integrate into Fords new Sync system?

• Report this Comment On March 01, 2011, at 9:43 PM, DarelRex wrote:

15 million iPads in 9 months — what more needs be said?

Oh, yeah: iPad 2 hits tomorrow.

• Report this Comment On April 08, 2011, at 6:59 PM, foolishbeans wrote:

how are apple's footnotes looking now, Anders? hahahaha. Hey, aren't you a character in Battlestar Galactica? lmfao.

• Report this Comment On August 18, 2011, at 10:16 PM, Jayhawker2000 wrote:

What are the consequences at the Fool for being this wrong?

Given AAPLs stock price and the success of the iPad, this article kind of discredits this site's advisce in this sector. When it comes to emerging consumer technology market analysis you guys are getting schooled by http://www.asymco.com

Please drop fanboi fodder and write about the trends that matter in a new product category: sales, margins, and profit.

• Report this Comment On August 18, 2011, at 10:58 PM, jca666us wrote:

Anders,

With HP having sold < 25,000 Touchpads and apple having sold over 40 million iPads - will you post a retraction for this article?

• Report this Comment On August 18, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Artiste212 wrote:

Anders, today's announcement by HP throwing in the towel after nonexistent sales over a period of a few months would seem to disprove your assertions from last year. Does being right mean anything on this website? Does being wrong require any examination of how things went so wrong, a followup article, or a retraction? Are the Fool's writers more intent on generating clicks than providing true expert advice?

Well, there's still a chance Apple will not succeed. More likely, they will first engineer an all cash buyout of the US treasury.

• Report this Comment On August 19, 2011, at 3:31 AM, maddogUK69 wrote:

Never has someone been so deserving of their domain name...

There still seems to be no shortage of "analysts" who are so desperate to be the ones who predict a faltering by Apple, to be the first to spot a downtrend for which there is absolutely no evidence, that they are apparently willing to leave their senses at home everyday before coming to work and writing utter gibberish. Over, and over, and over again.

• Report this Comment On August 19, 2011, at 9:20 AM, berrythrills wrote:

I think you made a typo in the headline. Should read: "iPad Will Kill HP and Friends".

• Report this Comment On August 19, 2011, at 12:12 PM, fugeesnfunions wrote:

I had to check the address bar at least 5 times while I read through the article to make sure this wasn't theonion.com trying to pull one over on me. Someone was PAID to write that? People read articles from this guy and make serious financial decisions that affect their real life? After their non-stop explosion of success, I don't think I'd ever check this site again if I came here back in early 2010 and didn't invest in Apple because of articles like this.

Do people make mistakes? Of course. Is it rational to expect perfection from market analysts? That's just crazy. The problem with this article and the guy who wrote it is different. I mean there's being wrong, then there's being wrong on every. Single. Point. Made. And he wasn't just wrong, he was grossly negligent of all facts. We all have our opinions and preferences, but letting blind hatred of a particular company control those opinions is unforgivable, especially in the investment world.

As far as the quip about the AppleTV, that device has been a sales phenomenon compared to it's main rivals based on the "Google TV" platform. In fact, Apple's self expressed "hobby" device is the ONLY device in that product category to see sales in the millions. As far as any investor would care, it's incredibly cheap to make, it demands the same high profit margins as other Apple products, and it brings even more people into the iTunes stable. What more do you want?

• Report this Comment On August 19, 2011, at 2:22 PM, particleman999 wrote:

Anders Bylund. CmdrTaco?

• Report this Comment On August 23, 2011, at 10:38 PM, menevets wrote:

APPL 3/10 ish - $225

APPL now - $375

HPQ 3/10 ish - $52

HPQ now - $25

• Report this Comment On August 25, 2011, at 1:59 AM, LeadGoat wrote:

"HP and Friends Will Kill the iPad"

Guess we're down to Friends. :)

DocumentId: 1134181, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 4/24/2014 12:49:05 PM