Don't let it get away!
Keep track of the stocks that matter to you.
Help yourself with the Fool's FREE and easy new watchlist service today.
Every investor would love to stumble upon the perfect stock. But will you ever really find a stock that provides everything you could possibly want?
One thing's for sure: You'll never discover truly great investments unless you actively look for them. Let's discuss the ideal qualities of a perfect stock, then decide if Skyworks Solutions (Nasdaq: SWKS ) fits the bill.
The quest for perfection
Stocks that look great based on one factor may prove horrible elsewhere, making due diligence a crucial part of your investing research. The best stocks excel in many different areas, including these important factors:
- Growth. Expanding businesses show healthy revenue growth. While past growth is no guarantee that revenue will keep rising, it's certainly a better sign than a stagnant top line.
- Margins. Higher sales mean nothing if a company can't produce profits from them. Strong margins ensure that company can turn revenue into profit.
- Balance sheet. At debt-laden companies, banks and bondholders compete with shareholders for management's attention. Companies with strong balance sheets don't have to worry about the distraction of debt.
- Money-making opportunities. Return on equity helps measure how well a company is finding opportunities to turn its resources into profitable business endeavors.
- Valuation. You can't afford to pay too much for even the best companies. By using normalized figures, you can see how a stock's simple earnings multiple fits into a longer-term context.
- Dividends. For tangible proof of profits, a check to shareholders every three months can't be beat. Companies with solid dividends and strong commitments to increasing payouts treat shareholders well.
With those factors in mind, let's take a closer look at Skyworks Solutions.
What We Want to See
Pass or Fail?
|Growth||5-Year Annual Revenue Growth > 15%||10.3%||Fail|
|1-Year Revenue Growth > 12%||38.4%||Pass|
|Margins||Gross Margin > 35%||43.5%||Pass|
|Net Margin > 15%||15.4%||Pass|
|Balance Sheet||Debt to Equity < 50%||1.7%||Pass|
|Current Ratio > 1.3||4.94||Pass|
|Opportunities||Return on Equity > 15%||14.5%||Fail|
|Valuation||Normalized P/E < 20||31.91||Fail|
|Dividends||Current Yield > 2%||0%||Fail|
|5-Year Dividend Growth > 10%||0%||Fail|
|Total Score||5 out of 10|
Source: Capital IQ, a division of Standard and Poor's. Total score = number of passes.
Skyworks weighs in with a score of 5. The semiconductor company has made a big splash on the market lately, but only time will tell whether the stock lives up to its full potential.
Skyworks has been firing on all cylinders lately, thanks to its prominent place within the Apple (Nasdaq: AAPL ) iPhone 4. In its most recent quarterly report, the company beat analyst estimates on earnings and revenue, as well as pushing guidance upward for the coming quarter.
But storm clouds may be on the horizon. One analyst recently voiced concerns that Skyworks could see some of its chips replaced with those of competitors TriQuint Semiconductor (Nasdaq: TQNT ) and Avago Technologies (Nasdaq: AVGO ) in the upcoming iPhone 5 release. Moreover, the company hasn't made as much of its iPhone opportunity as some of its competitors and industry peers, with TriQuint, Avago, and audio supplier Cirrus Logic (Nasdaq: CRUS ) all sporting much higher returns on equity while trading at lower earnings multiples than Skyworks.
Skyworks certainly doesn't have to worry about a complete collapse just yet. But if it wants to become a perfect stock, it needs to solidify its position as a leading chip provider for the growing mobile market.
No stock is a sure thing, but some stocks are a lot closer to perfect than others. By looking for the perfect stock, you'll go a long way toward improving your investing prowess and learning how to separate out the best investments from the rest.
Click here to add Skyworks Solutions to My Watchlist, which can find all of our Foolish analysis on it and all your other stocks.
Finding the perfect stock is only one piece of a successful investment strategy. Get the big picture by taking a look at our 13 Steps to Investing Foolishly.