10 Foolish Book Recommendations for July

Share this article with your friends by clicking the "Like" or "Tweet" buttons above.

When July rolls around, it's almost impossible to resist the lure of summertime. For particularly lazy afternoons -- whether you're lounging on the beach, relaxing on the porch, or swaying in a hammock -- a book makes a wonderful companion. To help you make the most of your leisure time, we asked our Fool advisors and analysts to share 10 books that they would recommend for summer reading.

Here are 10 (mostly) investing books to add to your reading list, in no particular order. Enjoy!

Dethroning the King: The Hostile Takeover of Anheuser-Busch, an American Icon

Dethroning the King: The Hostile Takeover of Anheuser-Busch, an American Icon by Julie MacIntosh

It's Earnings That Count: Finding Stocks With Earnings Power for Long-Term Profits by Hewitt Heiserman

Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World

Money and Power: How Goldman Sachs Came to Rule the World by William D. Cohan

More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places

More Than You Know: Finding Financial Wisdom in Unconventional Places by Michael J. Mauboussin

One Up On Wall Street: How to Use What You Already Know to Make Money in the Market by Peter Lynch and John Rothchild

The Innovator's Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business by Clayton M. Christensen

The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing

The Intelligent Investor: The Definitive Book on Value Investing by Benjamin Graham

The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor

The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor by Howard Marks

Think and Grow Rich

Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill

Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN

Those Guys Have All the Fun: Inside the World of ESPN by James Andrew Miller and Tom Shales

And if you're interested in the latest book from The Motley Fool and Fool LouAnn Lofton, check out Warren Buffett Invests Like a Girl -- And Why You Should, Too. Click here to get the first chapter for free.

To share a book from your reading list, comment below or share it with our Facebook or Twitter communities. You can also see what books our Facebook and Twitter community recommended.

The Motley Fool's disclosure policy despairs of ever finishing Infinite Jest.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2011, at 5:32 PM, GregLoire wrote:

I also found Fire Your Stock Analyst pretty useful and informative, though I don't agree with all of its advice.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2011, at 6:48 PM, ShrikeTheFoolish wrote:

Truth,

You and I are cut from the same mold. I couldn't put into words my positive feelings about dividends, as there are many.

Your book list is great, including Joel Greenblatt's listing. While it is not along the lines of dividend investing, it is an alternative way to go about investing that I can agree with.

To piggy back, even the Motley Fool's own books that came out many years ago were what started me down the path of truly caring what happened in my portfolio. "Rule Makers" and "Rule Breakers" were great reads. There was a third one about investing in general that came out in the same style and format though the name escapes me.

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2011, at 7:39 PM, Clint35 wrote:

How about "The Big Short" and "No One Would Listen".

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2011, at 11:20 PM, memoandstitch wrote:

• Report this Comment On July 01, 2011, at 11:51 PM, jvelaskoo wrote:

Best investment books I read: http://investing.kuchita.com/2011/04/20/my-favorite-investin...

and some in my to read list recommended by Seth Klarman: http://investing.kuchita.com/2011/05/24/interesting-books-re...

• Report this Comment On July 02, 2011, at 10:57 PM, TheBeave250 wrote:

I agree with Clint25 on "The Big Short", it was eye-opening, informative and entertaining and once I started it I couldn't put it down. Good thing I was flying LAX to Auckland, New Zealand!

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2011, at 12:26 AM, prophetofprofit7 wrote:

said it on facebook too. the only book you need is the red one hehe

• Report this Comment On July 03, 2011, at 12:39 PM, TMFAleph1 wrote:

<<I found "The Most Important Thing: Uncommon Sense for the Thoughtful Investor" to be more philosophical than useful. It will help you truly understand "risk" but I'm not sure if it will improve your investing performance.>>

There is little that is more useful in investing than truly understanding risk. Any book that helps you do that can't help but improve your investing performance.

• Report this Comment On July 04, 2011, at 10:41 AM, pastreet wrote:

One more to add... The Millionaire Next Door.

A great read.

Pat S

www.compoundingreturns.com

• Report this Comment On July 04, 2011, at 5:23 PM, ConvexFlow wrote:

In the last 4 years I've read over 200+ books on business, econ, investments, psychology, and decision making. By FAR the best book I've read is Taleb's "The Black Swan". If you haven't read it yet, stop whatever you're doing, and go get it!

• Report this Comment On July 05, 2011, at 10:06 AM, catoismymotor wrote:

Think And Grow Rich sounds like it could be good. I'll add it to my birthday wish list.

• Report this Comment On July 05, 2011, at 12:06 PM, CromulentBrad wrote:

I bought Peter Lynch's book and read it two times in a row.

In today's business environment where every "expert" tries to impress us with original numbers and formulas, Lynch's common sense approach is a breath of fresh air.

Everybody seeks the next "Buffet Stock." When I'm looking at a company, I always wonder if it's something Lynch would like.

• Report this Comment On July 05, 2011, at 3:38 PM, Gregeph wrote:

Here's a list of books Joel Greenblatt uses in his investing class at Columbia. http://gregspeicher.com/?p=108

• Report this Comment On July 08, 2011, at 11:46 AM, chasmro wrote:

Fool subscribers might enjoy my book, "Better Good than Lucky: How Savvy Investors Create Fortune with the Risk-Reward Ratio".

Incorporating concepts from Ben Graham and Philip Fisher, among others, I explain how to analyze a stock and manage your portfolio like a professional. It's on Amazon and other online booksellers.

• Report this Comment On July 08, 2011, at 12:05 PM, ShrikeTheFoolish wrote:

Chasmro,

You created a profile just to peddle your book on website without compensating said website. We don't appreciate your soliciting here. Shoo.