The New West Coast Highway

Don't let it get away!

Keep track of the stocks that matter to you.

Help yourself with the Fool's FREE and easy new watchlist service today.

The Carmaggedon that closed Los Angeles's vital 405 freeway ended up being a non-event, but other news broke farther north on the Interstate 5 highway system. The state of Washington made a big move toward its electric highway infrastructure, as state Department of Transportation officials chose charging station manufacturer AeroVironment (Nasdaq: AVAV  ) to power the initial phase of Washington's electric highway.

AeroVironment will build stations every 40 to 60 miles along I-5 and US 2. When combined with Oregon's "Green Highway" and California's multiple networks, there will be a long stretch of the coast covered with chargers.

Building this infrastructure will help make electric vehicles more viable to range-anxious buyers who want to travel more than, say, 100 miles. Tesla Motors (Nasdaq: TSLA  ) , GM (NYSE: GM  ) , and Ford (NYSE: F  ) are just a few of the companies that will rely on this infrastructure to drive their new electric vehicle sales. After all, if the only trip you can make is to and from work, then an electric vehicle becomes a lot less practical for a lot of buyers.

AeroVironment is stepping up as a leader in a vehicle-charging market that includes giants like General Electric (NYSE: GE  ) and Siemens (NYSE: SI  ) . AeroVironment's efficient energy systems segment grew 69% last year, and that momentum should continue, with large deals being signed regularly.

Foolish bottom line
Investing in electric-vehicle manufacturers like Tesla, or battery manufacturers like A123 Systems (Nasdaq: AONE  ) , is a risky bet on the fast adoption of electric vehicles. But until a true charging infrastructure is built, none of these manufacturers will succeed. That's why my top pick for investing in the electric vehicle is AeroVironment and the ever-growing Electric Highway.

Interested in reading more about AeroVironment? Click here to add it to My Watchlist, and My Watchlist will find all of our Foolish analysis on this stock.

Fool contributor Travis Hoium owns shares of AeroVironment. You can follow Travis on Twitter at @FlushDrawFool, check out his personal stock holdings or follow his CAPS picks at TMFFlushDraw. The Motley Fool owns shares of Ford Motor. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of AeroVironment, General Motors, and Ford Motor. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

Read/Post Comments (1) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On July 20, 2011, at 3:20 PM, dbtuner wrote:

    15% of it's revenue is from this segment. The other 85% is from Defense which will decline with the troops coming home. Not a very thorough assessment

Add your comment.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 1522000, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/25/2016 1:40:14 PM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated Moments ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,189.13 -33.90 -0.19%
S&P 500 2,144.64 -6.69 -0.31%
NASD 5,285.43 -24.40 -0.46%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/25/2016 1:24 PM
AVAV $22.85 Up +0.05 +0.22%
AeroVironment CAPS Rating: ****
AONEQ.DL $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
A123 Systems CAPS Rating: **
F $11.87 Down -0.18 -1.45%
Ford CAPS Rating: ****
GE $28.78 Down -0.14 -0.48%
General Electric CAPS Rating: ****
GM $31.78 Down -1.21 -3.65%
General Motors CAPS Rating: ***
SIEGY $116.20 Down -0.22 -0.19%
Siemens AG (ADR) CAPS Rating: ****
TSLA $203.34 Up +0.58 +0.29%
Tesla Motors CAPS Rating: **