Adobe Calls Apple's Lion a Bad Kitty

Adobe (Nasdaq: ADBE  ) says Apple's (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) new Mac operating system, Lion, needs to be tamed. In a post entitled -- no joke -- "Lion Tamers," Senior Product Manager Jody Rodgers posted two pages of "known issues" with the OS relating to compatibility with Java and Adobe products.

So, what, Lion is a bad kitty? Meow! Someone get Rodgers a saucer of milk. Or maybe a warm blanket and some tea, because it sounds to me like he's sick of getting kicked around by critics of Adobe's own security-challenged software.

I know, I'm mocking. Call it keeping with the spirit of Rodgers' post. "You are seeking the cold hard facts while a percentage of your users are barging down the door to upgrade due to justifiable work reasoning such as 'shininess' and 'Ars [Technica] said I should'," he wrote.

Well played. And yet while tongue-in-cheek assessments of serious upgrades will undoubtedly make for a good chuckle here and there, the truth remains that Adobe attracts hackers the way porch lights attract moths.

I know -- corporate upgrades are never easy. Microsoft (Nasdaq: MSFT  ) spent years weaning customers from Windows XP to newer versions. Oracle (Nasdaq: ORCL  ) takes in billions in annual maintenance revenue, largely on the promise of keeping database implementations fresh and hassle-free.

But is Lion really different or buggy enough to merit Rodgers' snarkiness? I'm not buying it. Lion is working well for me so far -- and I'm using Flash as much as anyone else. I'm also using Chrome and Spotify, which Rodgers called out as a potential sore point for upgraders. If anything, I find the new Mac OS to be a welcome upgrade for its productivity-boosting changes. Do you agree? Use the comments box below to weigh in.

And if you're looking to heat up your portfolio with more tech stock ideas, try this free video. You'll walk away with a better understanding of how cloud computing is reshaping industries and a winning pick from our Motley Fool Rule Breakers scorecard. Click here to start watching -- it's 100% free.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers is a member of the Motley Fool Rule Breakers stock-picking team. He owned shares of Apple and Oracle at the time of publication. Check out Tim's portfolio holdings and Foolish writings, or connect with him on Google+ or Twitter, where he goes by @milehighfool. You can also get his insights delivered directly to your RSS reader.

The Motley Fool owns shares of Apple, Microsoft, and Oracle. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Apple, Microsoft, and Adobe Systems. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended creating a diagonal call position in Adobe Systems, as well as a bull call spread position in Apple. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended creating a position in Microsoft. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. As you may have noticed, The Motley Fool has an outstanding disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2011, at 12:48 PM, bsimpsen wrote:

Lion works just fine on the three Macs in our family. Flash continues to be a buggy mess on those same three machines.

My "facts" don't seem to comport with Mr. Rodgers "facts".

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2011, at 1:31 PM, ceeblet wrote:

I'm working quite well on the new Lion upgrade. No issues for me.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2011, at 1:47 PM, SteveFMS wrote:

I disagree. I like the new gestures supported on the trackpad, and with them the much easier method of switching spaces, but

a) VMware Fusion's mouse support is screwed by Lion especially in Unity mode. You have to click twice on any object in the VM's windows bc Lion first needs a click to direct mouse input to the VM. Lion isn't passing mouse events through to the window under the cursor like it should.

b) MenuEverywhere got hosed completely and is unusable on Lion.

c) Skype now crashes randomly. It crashes hard.

d) There have been reported problems mounting Western Digital USB drives, and I've experienced some of it.

e) It's kinda stupid that they didn't just make Launchpad the new default for the Applications link on the dock. So long as they offered an option to turn it off, that would have been much better for helping users to find and use it instead.

f) Full screen mode has its advantages, but it can be quirky and obviously apps have to be rewritten to use it correctly. Why did this wait until 2011???

g) Resizing windows from any edge - NEW??? Windows and other OS' have been doing this for 20yrs or more.

h) They bragged a bunch about 250 new features, but most aren't very discoverable.

• Report this Comment On July 28, 2011, at 5:08 PM, aagramonte wrote:

"I saw a flash video, and went online" from one user and "we have 3 macs at my home" clears the new OS to "play with".

This is like Joe telling Derwent or Steadtler that their pencils are fine because he did the grocery list with it

nice to know that for the iOS generation the Mickey ware at the AppStore are good enough (and so are the silly iPads) but for the rest - no Adobe and our macs and OSX Lion would be useless. why we read the post.

• Report this Comment On July 29, 2011, at 12:23 AM, lucasmonger wrote:

I upgraded to Lion on day 1, and the new OS takes some getting used to, but I'm loving it. I've found minor bugs all over the place but the plusses far outweigh the minuses. Now the key things that are missing are a huge touchscreen and updated apps to support full screen mode everywhere.

• Report this Comment On July 29, 2011, at 9:59 AM, macwebdiva wrote:

For those of us with the 15" mid-2010 i7 machines, it has been a disaster upgrade. There is a known issue with that machine and what happens is the screen goes black. There isn't really a good work around, although you can try the Control+Shift+Esc to see if that could make the nVidia card wake up. Seems that is the problem. So you have to restart the machine. Not nice when that happens up to 10 times a day.

My iCal won't post new calendar requests any longer, and a slew of other issues. I can say I pretty much am sorry I upgraded at this point.

As far as Adobe products, I am a Community Professional and Adobe Certified Instructor. I haven't found any show stopping issues there yet and I use about 8 Adobe products a day.

• Report this Comment On August 09, 2011, at 7:19 PM, MCHBK wrote:

Brand new 15" MBP w/4 GB Mem and i7 quad core just received. Running Lion and originally Adobe CS4 Design Premium. Trackpad locks up when working in multiple applications, system performance is slow and not smooth/seamless like my late 2008 machine. Apple blames Adobe, Adobe blames Apple. Adobe helped me by sending an upgrade for CS5.5........

Uninstalled CS4 and installed CS5.5.... system completely LOCKED UP--- "rainbow swirl time" to no end. Had to do the Lion online recovery/reinstall. Let's see what happens next. Anyone else had similar experience? Should I be expecting this thing to blow up any day now?? :/