1 Dividend Stock to Buy in November

Last month in this column, I gave investors a heads-up on a possible bargain at Corning (NYSE: GLW  ) . I liked its business prospects given its price and I believed there was a "hidden opportunity for a massive dividend."

Two days later, Corning raised its dividend by 50%.

Now, I'm no stock market Nostradamus. The timing was certainly lucky. But I tell you this for two reasons.

1. As a reminder to look into buying Corning on dips (it's understandably up a bit since that dividend announcement).
  2. Because today I want to tell you about another stock whose dividend is set to rise dramatically.

The background
I'm gonna warn you now, you may be squeamish at the prospect I'm about to throw out. It's one of those "too big to fail" banks whose dividends have been decimated in the last few years.

But consider these three points:

1. There's often opportunity when other investors run away without analyzing the situation.
  2. It's the safest and "least Wall Street" of the big banks.
  3. Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway (NYSE: BRK-B  ) has owned it for years and has been buying up shares at prices around today's!

Still with me?

Good.

You may have already guessed the bank, but humor me.

Take a look at the table below before we proceed. It shows America's six megabanks along with their depressed price-to-tangible book ratios and a brief description of the type of banking they do.

Bank

P/Tangible Book

Description

Bank of America (NYSE: BAC  ) 0.5 Combination Main Street and Wall Street bank
JPMorgan Chase (NYSE: JPM  ) 1.1 Combination Main Street and Wall Street bank
Citigroup (NYSE: C  ) 0.6 Combination Main Street and Wall Street bank
Wells Fargo (NYSE: WFC  ) 1.3 Main Street bank
Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS  ) 0.9 Pure Wall Street bank
Morgan Stanley (NYSE: MS  ) 0.7 Pure Wall Street bank

Source: S&P Capital IQ.

I'm actually quite bullish on the banking sector as a whole given current prices. I'd wager that the banking sector as a whole will beat the Dow Jones Industrial Average (INDEX: ^DJI) and the S&P 500 (Index: ^GSPC) over the next few years, but it's the individual stock opportunities in banking that I like to focus on.

The megabank I want to highlight today is the one I think is the safest of the bunch. At the very least, it's the most transparent. Let's do this by process of elimination.

As pure investment banks, Goldman and Morgan Stanley are invested in more as a matter of faith in management and the organization than any balance sheet analysis. JPMorgan, Bank of America, and Citi try to do it all -- from the regular deposit and mortgage banking you and I use all the way to the Wall Street trading desks hedge funds use. As with Goldman and Morgan Stanley, the balance sheets can get quite tricky.

That leaves us with today's pick: Wells Fargo. You may be surprised because it's actually the most expensive bank of the bunch. But that can be misleading. The reason banks like Citi and B of A are trading for well under tangible book value is because investors aren't entirely sure what exotic mess could be hiding behind Door No. 3.

In Wells, we're paying a little extra for quality and transparency.

Wells pretty much sticks to the model that's made banks money for centuries. It takes in deposits and lends to individuals and businesses. It pockets the interest rate spread between the two. And it does so really, really well. In its latest quarter, it had a net interest margin of 3.8%. It frequently runs that number above 4%, which is excellent.

Wells also does an excellent job cross-selling and up-selling its customers into multiple products such as its wealth management products and services.

A potentially explosive dividend
Today, we can buy an excellent operator that's trading at historically low multiples on book value and earnings.

But I promised you a potentially explosive dividend.

Wells Fargo's dividend peaked at $0.34/share per quarter in the first quarter of 2009. In a wise response to the financial crisis, it slashed those dividends almost to the nub -- down to just $0.05.

Since then, it's been busy shoring up its capital position and integrating Wachovia, the troubled bank it picked up at the height of the crisis.

Wells' capital position is now stronger and the three-year Wachovia integration is almost done. And earlier this year, it raised that nickel quarterly dividend up to $0.12 (a 1.8% dividend yield). I believe that dividend is on a march upward and that it'll reach the pre-crisis $0.34 sooner than people think.

As Wells Fargo steadily wins back shareholder love through an increasing dividend, I believe investors will boost its share price, too.

The result could be a double win for investors who get in early.

As for me, I already own shares of Wells Fargo myself. Whether you're ultimately a fan or not, I invite you to grab a free copy of our brand new free report, "Secure Your Future With 11 Rock-Solid Dividend Stocks." It features a bank that's already paying out a huge dividend yield as well as 10 more non-banking ideas. Just click here for your free copy.

Anand Chokkavelu owns shares of JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, Wells Fargo, and Bank of America (he told you he was bullish on the sector!) as well as Berkshire Hathaway. The Motley Fool owns shares of Bank of America, JPMorgan Chase, Citigroup, and Wells Fargo. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of Corning. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 4:39 PM, chadscards1274 wrote:

Interesting pick, and I agree WFC is one to consider. I used to work for one of their main competitors and they did better in most customer service and cross-sell measures then we did. A la Peter Lynch when a competitor praises another company it's usually a pretty good sign. When other banks have to give WFC props for superior results with their customers (after all the most important part of the bank) it's likely a sign the company will prosper.

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 4:47 PM, gobaby100 wrote:

Some really really bad advice here. WF more vulnerable than any but Chase. And their books are totally cockeyed.

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 4:52 PM, TMFBomb wrote:

@MHenage,

Thanks for the in-the-industry knowledge! That agrees with what I've heard as well.

@gobaby100,

Can you elaborate?

Fool on,

Anand

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 5:13 PM, samjanie wrote:

Actually you may want to research CHCO !!!!!!!

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 5:37 PM, wowiraptor wrote:

I have been watching bank stocks in the last 8 months and have looked at their Intrinsic values which you can see for yourself at the url below (if you can trust their balance sheets).

this sheet may have mistakes in it and I wouldn't mind people helping me with correcting them if you find them. I am by know means an analysts of stocks. This just happens to be something I have been watching and therefore am curious about my calculations and your thoughts and mine.

I understand you are comparing large banks that are "Too Big to fail" in this article but if you are touting a "Big DIV" then why would you even consider these stocks at these values at all?

Shouldn't you be looking to smaller regional banks with larger DIV outputs with nearly as much appreciation capacity and DIV's that are larger due to their reduced stock pricing? One company that comes to mind regionally is HCBK.

Currently per share value is below $6 making it fall into the range of BAC on a share price basis and compared to the rest far below the other companies per share prices. It is giving a $0.32 annual div per share. Far larger than these larger banks listed.

The company does primarily traditional banking of lending money for profit much like WFC so you are reasonably more assured of the balance sheet assets and its liabilities with HCBK as you are with WFC

So if you are going for DIV with a more traditional bank format my personal preference is to look to the smaller regional bank HCBK At stock prices under $6 per share. If you want WFC buy in only if the shares are less than $22 per share as its IV per share is approximately $26 but once Goodwill and Net Intangibles are removed the IV falls to a mere $18 per share so $22 is a fair medium to a strong company with a mediocre div. At current stock price levels its too expensive.. all the rest are at good pricing levels even if they have toxic assets still on the BS... allot of the Toxic assets are built into the price now.. but considering the continued fear of European banks defaulting the system I would stay away from the larger ones for now

But if you want a traditional bank that's smaller but with a FATTY of a div ... HCBK

Disclosure

I currently own shares in both HCBK and WFC

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 6:38 PM, hbofbyu wrote:

@gobaby100

You're comments are useless unless you can back it up with some argument.

I have been banking with Wells Fargo for about 15 years and there are times when I have thought it would be wise to switch it all over to a Credit Union and get a little higher intereset rate. The reason I stay with Wells Fargo is that they provide much better service, have a more featured website, offer a brockerage account with 100 free trades/year, among other things. They always seem to be expanding their service offerings.

I am tempted to buy some Wells Fargo of my own.

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 7:10 PM, Wright360 wrote:

My granddaughter and her friends are putting their money where their beliefs are, and have just pulled their accounts out of Wells Fargo to put them in a credit union. MoveOn is asking all their followers to do the same, with all the big banks. This is worth keeping an eye on...

• Report this Comment On November 01, 2011, at 9:52 PM, mikecart1 wrote:

WFC is one of the worst banks out there right now. I am not sure if this article was meant to be a Halloween joke? Their books are manipulated beyond belief.

• Report this Comment On November 02, 2011, at 12:27 AM, The1MAGE wrote:

@mikecart1

Their books are manipulated beyond belief? What is the source of this information, and how are they flying under the radar of the government regulations while you are in the know?

• Report this Comment On November 02, 2011, at 1:36 AM, Mehen1 wrote:

I agree with Wright350. Integrity starts at home. I believe the banking industry has and continues to do unspeakable harm to people. Our politicians do not have the courage to confront this industry, but we as investors can. When we choose to make money off of businesses that offend our ethic, we stand for that which we say we abhor. I'll get my dividends elsewhere. It won't hurt the WellsFargo but it will help me to maintain some sense of integrity by choosing right action. Even Fools get to be responsible.

• Report this Comment On November 02, 2011, at 3:11 AM, noviceHere wrote:

After sticking with the same bank for over thirty years, I'm sad to say I'm transitioning out of Wells Fargo for my checking acct. and moving into a local credit union. I'd had no complaints with WF until this year when they decided my free checking account would no longer be free. This came soon after I read in July that they were being fined ($85 mil) by the Fed for predatory lending practices, which "All the Devils Are Here" authors found to be one of the biggest reasons for the economic crash. I decided, on principle, that I don't want to help them pay their fine. Especially when they "reported record net income of $3.9 billion for the second quarter on more than $20 billion in revenue". http://money.cnn.com/2011/07/20/news/companies/wells_fargo_f...

This article says they were accused of "pushing borrowers with good credit into expensive mortgages and falsifying loan applications."

• Report this Comment On November 02, 2011, at 9:43 AM, DCUDFlyer wrote:

"Books are manipulated beyond belief....WFC is one of the worst banks out there....Worse than any bank except Chase...."

Uhhhhh....Where is your basis for these outrageous claims? Are you just regurgitating something you heard on a movie? Investing from a morality standpoint is certainly not for everyone...see MO, MCD, AIG. I'm neutral on WFC, but given a further dip it could provide a very attractive risk/reward.

I have no position in WFC and have no intention to initiate anytime soon.

• Report this Comment On November 02, 2011, at 2:47 PM, polenium wrote:

Investing, like life, should have a moral basis.

Investing in these banks is akin to investing in the slavery business of the 19th Century. Like the more obvious forms of slavery, their days are numbered.

I concur with DCUDFlyer. Their books are cooked. B of A's books are so convuluted and filled with junk that no one can even tell if they are solvent. Likely as not they aren't.

• Report this Comment On November 02, 2011, at 3:12 PM, mooseterd wrote:

I do not own the stock, but my dealings with our local branch are all good. Also, after some phone tag and protocol snafu's, We secured a no cost refi. No million dollar thing, but A OK by me.

• Report this Comment On November 03, 2011, at 12:43 PM, NJMoneyMedic wrote:

I am currently a WF customer via Wachovia. I loved Wachovia start to finish, and thus far, WF seems to be doing alright by me.

@mikecart1--I am sorry to hear of the poor opinion. You are the first I've heard of having such an opinion. Would you elaborate as to why, and where can the information about their poor bookkeeping be found?

@gobaby100--How is WF more vulnerable?

@noviceHere--People can only be "pushed" into something truly expensive (mortgages, car loans, credit card limits, etc.) if they have not PROPERLY budgeted themselves and do not know what they TRULY can and cannot afford. And if people REALLY had good credit, why would documents need to be falsified??

When I spoke to a WF mortgage adviser (about 6 months ago), I was told I qualified for a mortgage much higher than I knew was affordable for my family. I confronted the adviser, and he told me it was up to my wife and I as to what we could TRULY afford.

I have also banked with BoA. I didn't care for their customer service, and I consistently heard stories about poor customer service, and mismanagement of accounts mortgages. That is a bank I would personally love to see fail.

Ignorance is NOT bliss when it comes to finances and banking.

Integrity is important, but what about people that do not have access to a credit union?

• Report this Comment On November 03, 2011, at 12:47 PM, NJMoneyMedic wrote:

Oh, and reading the article again on WF's fine, this is near the bottom:

"Under the Fed's order, Wells Fargo is required to review subprime loans made between January 2006 and June 2008. In cases where borrowers were pushed into loans or had their income information altered, the bank is required to make restitution."

This fine was levied because of a SUB-PRIME review. How good could these people's credit have been if their loans were qualified as sub-prime?

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 12:53 PM, artmuseum wrote:

Hope u are right!

I'm concerned criminal investigations/penalties of those who brought US economy near its knees

once becoming headlines

may negatively impact entire sector

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 1:29 PM, newageinvestor wrote:

Frankly, with limited investing dollars, there are better places to put my money, both long and short-term. I don't know why these are even on the radar considering the other choices out there, esp. Stock Advisor pics

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 1:43 PM, CaptainACB wrote:

My experience with Well has led me to end all relationships with this company. My experience is they have horrible customer service, and are completely unresponsive to their solid longtime customers. You can't contact them easily, and they just don't seem to care when they have made a mistake, they will not correct anything they have done, for any reason. In sold my shares and ended all business I had with these morons because of their bad customer service. I would never do business with them or buy their stock. This company is poorly run when it comes to dealing with customers. Run away and don't look back.

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 2:03 PM, up6903 wrote:

I believe the best investment is BAC at 6 and change. Alot of movement is emotional on the latest news and not the facts. BAC trades alot and at 6+ a super buy for a buy and hold guy. I do believe as we out ourselves from this mortgage mess the banks earning will rocket and one may have a $30+ stock. Do you think one will get more value from 1000 shares of WFC (25K)or 4000 of BAC (25K)over the next 4 years.

I have no problem in waiting as if I put the cash in the banks at 1.5% I would be really loosing and so any stock market average return is better than that.

I don't think the Euro will be around much longer if Italy and the other sun countries don't get their acts together and so American banks will be a major positive and BAC is the tops.

And like the saying goes. buy when not in favor and all I hear are how bad the banks are, but that word is from traders and not holders.

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 2:05 PM, ziq wrote:

"@noviceHere--People can only be "pushed" into something truly expensive (mortgages, car loans, credit card limits, etc.) if they have not PROPERLY budgeted themselves and do not know what they TRULY can and cannot afford."

In the good old-fashioned banking paradigm described in the article, when an unqualified borrower came along "no" was an answer. Too many bad loans and a bank went under. A loan officer would never try to persuade someone to take on a debt on which he would likely default. Whereas in the "too big to fail" era not only was that disincentive removed, there was a huge incentive to crank out loans of any quality, the more the merrier.

There have always been unqualified borrowers knocking at the doors of lending institutions, and always will be. To blame the whole banking fiasco on a bunch of consumers suddenly crawling out of the woodwork and taking on too much debt, as is fashionable among free market purist types, is disingenuous.

As for me, I'll steer clear of any investments in the banking industry in the near future. My loss, maybe. We'll see. I did get royally burned, as did anyone following the MF MDP, by AIB. First investment I ever made that went essentially worthless. "Not involved in sub-prime mortgages", we were assured. Of course, the whole country went into the economic flusher. May as well have invested in Iceland.

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 2:11 PM, up6903 wrote:

About corning, I don't like it and much of its product, sales of panel TVs are flat as many already have many sets. And if I was looking for a div. return I wouldn't be interested in what Corning has to offer. VZ and T or reits would be better at my age. The possible value of corning doesn't look promissing either.

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 3:03 PM, mrivmriv wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much about MoveOn.org. Their followers don't have a pot to pi-- in. I'll stick with the 1% any day.

• Report this Comment On November 04, 2011, at 8:29 PM, midnightmoney wrote:

When I put the phrase "robo-signing" down, the MF spell-checker tells me via the little red squiggly line that I have made a spelling mistake, as if the phrase "robo-signing" didn't exist, or hasn't yet been acknowledged as a phrase with a meaning all its own. May I please request that the Editors get proactive here and update the spelling technology to better reflect the lexical leaps forward we have made thanks to the banking sector. And may we all bank on banking on, baby, it's definitely the way forward:)

• Report this Comment On November 05, 2011, at 4:40 AM, Jhccap wrote:

You have totally ignored international banking, Citi is in over 100 countries. What kind of reporting is this?

• Report this Comment On November 05, 2011, at 1:19 PM, orangefloyd wrote:

@midnightmoney, I highly doubt that the spell-checker is part of the Motley Fool site, it's most likely a part of your browser. You're complaining to the wrong people.

• Report this Comment On November 05, 2011, at 1:56 PM, midnightmoney wrote:

orangefloyd, my comment, useless as it was, was more about banks then spelling. Facetiousness aside, I think mf editors are in a league of their own for both financial publication editing and consistency.

• Report this Comment On November 05, 2011, at 6:50 PM, terribible wrote:

BAC is one of the sleeziest of mostly sleezy bank system..THey get a 140 Billion bale out, The CEO gets 9,08 Mil and then has the nerve to say we are broke and need to look at 30,000 jobs to be eliminated..Scumbags and The stock is not worth buying!!!

• Report this Comment On November 05, 2011, at 10:40 PM, pentiumpaul wrote:

I read with interest all these comments about how terrible banks are. Seems to me some fools expect banks to be public utilities or charitable institutions. I really don't think the banks will miss the accounts that are going to the credit unions. Many fools also apparently don't realize that when they open an account at a bank they become a creditor of the bank. When the "bailouts" were done, it was the banks' creditors who were bailed out -- not the stockholders. Stockholders lost much of their investment value, but creditors lost nothing. And, the largest bloc of creditors were the depositors!

• Report this Comment On November 06, 2011, at 10:43 AM, chrone2 wrote:

As much as I would like to make some extra money if these bits of bank info are accurate...I have never wanted to buy into companies that violate my own sense of ethics: viz, tobacco companies, certain chemical conglomerates, and now the major big banks. Thanks but no thanks. I joined my credit union 30+ years ago b/c of the same reasons that people are leaving the large banks now. About time the others caught up...

• Report this Comment On November 06, 2011, at 11:31 AM, IkeDuke wrote:

@ pentiumpaul

"Seems to me some fools expect banks to be public utilities or charitable institutions" ... very funny and I agree :)

Dear fellow Fools, currently I am in the process of buying house, and guess what .... Wells-Fargo is my mortgage lender. I am satisfied with their interest rate and customer service...at least so far :)

I do already own some WF stocks.

Here are few numbers from my spreadsheet...courtesy of TD Ameritrade...Thanks TD!

Company: Wells Fargo

Income Before Tax 19,001,000,000

Normalized Income (AFTER tax) 13,111,000,000

EPS, calculated 2.47

Price / Earnings, P/E 9.41

PEG 0.67

Price / Book 1.06

According to TD "WFC seems valued at a discount with a PEG value of 0.8037, one of the lowest in the Regional Banks industry".

My recommendation: BUY! :)

• Report this Comment On November 06, 2011, at 6:45 PM, Darwood11 wrote:

My one comment about bank stocks is this.

I'm invested via mutual funds. I also have stocks, mostly dividend payers, but not all.

I periodically check my portfolio using the M* X-Ray tool to see what my real exposure is to any sector, etc. I would suggest this for anyone invested in Target funds, index funds, etc.

My point? After the financial meltdown, and considering the current world financial problems, I'm extremely averse to buying bank stocks. I have more than enough, as a percentage of my holdings, via the mutual funds I own.

It's my opinion that assuming that the banks will do well requires that one also assumes that the European problem is resolved successfully (no pain for ANYONE).

This doesn't seem to be a good time to go long on bank stocks, to me.

As for Moveon.org, I don't use them as a barometer for buying stocks or much of anything. I know what the unemployment statistics are, and I have a sense of the real numbers via Shadowstats.com. I don't need more chaff, or a complaint session; it's like listening to the "Occupy This" protesters. They have complaints, but should I gamble with my future based upon their rants? Again, I think not!

• Report this Comment On November 06, 2011, at 11:34 PM, SkepticI wrote:

Amen. Ive been a Wells F customer for more than 40 years. Their customer service and utility has been up and down over those years. I live in the west and except for the convenience of their locations and my wife's loyalty from working for them 1970-1979, I wouldn't bother with them since there are better choices. I own NO stock and never will because of their basic business handicaps, and neither should you. I minimize my asset exposure to them and my balances. BUT WF IS NOT AS BAD AS BoA. I have never seen such awful business practices and wonder why they have ANY customers at all. I trust you all saw their flub with debit card fees. Entirely predictable and now what you would expect from a well run business. I would pull BoA shorts up around their neck-ha. In other words you can make a lot of money shorting them at 7, 6 or whatever. I am not short on BoA right now, I made all my $ on them much higher.

• Report this Comment On November 07, 2011, at 4:00 AM, dcohn wrote:

Should you gamble your future on what the people fighting for all of us says. Should you support the concept that our banking sector is corrupt beyond belief and pulling all money out of majors and using credit unions can actually HELP us all that earn less than $300K a year.

I am also guilty and know I must move my daily checking into a local credit union just to support the country and do my part to get it back where it should be. We should no be serfs. We need to get out of this controlled by the rich mentality this country is in. Might as well as communist already as that is exactly the way it works there.

I did not know Due Process includes payoffs??

Our government officials are all bribed in one way or another every one that actually takes a salary. Anyone who does not see what is really going on here is just being selfish. Greed and selfishness is why we are in this mess. We must work together or we are all doomed. If you do not believe that our countries banking system and overall financial system is overtaken by extreme corruption you are simply fooling your self or you just don't care because of personal greed.

The take care of number one concept and be better than the Jone's is stronger than love thy neighbor..

Imagine is we could all live together as friends. Just Imagine. It really takes so little. It is happening already and you can be very sure it is not not Tea Partiers.. NOR Dems NOR Republs.

• Report this Comment On November 07, 2011, at 11:45 AM, up6903 wrote:

I do believe that BAC would have been much better not to buy into countrywide? I thought it was some move pushed by the Gov. All that business, mostly bad brought on all sorts of problems even a large bank couldn't handle. Righting the ship brought on things like robo signing as clerks loooked to anyway to get through the mess. I hate the bank for that and can't excuse them but human nature taking a path of least resistance.

I blame the bank but then I think I can make money when all this is resolved and share price increases as profits rebound.as losses decrease.

And the bail out was paid back with interest, Right.?