Does RIM's PlayBook Stand a Chance in 2012?

The following video is part of our "Motley Fool Conversations" series, in which technology editor/analyst Andrew Tonner and technology analyst Evan Niu discuss topics across the investing world.

Research In Motion's PlayBook is set to receive a software update to OS 2.0 that promises to bring some basic features. Just when the PlayBook is about to get caught up in some respects with functionality, the iPad 3 and Kindle Fire 2 are likely incoming and will blow the PlayBook out of the water yet again.

Research In Motion is missing the revolution. However, there's another company to play this amazing opportunity for technology investors. The Motley Fool has just released a free report on mobile named "The Next Trillion Dollar Revolution" that details a "hidden" component play inside mobile phones that's also absolutely dominating the exploding tech market in China. Inside the report, we not only describe why the mobile revolution will dwarf any other technology revolution seen before it, but we also name the company at the forefront of the trend. Hundreds of thousands have requested access to previous reports, but you can be among the first to access this just-released report by clicking here -- it's free.

Evan Niu owns shares of Amazon.com and Apple. Andrew Tonner does not own shares of any companies listed above. The Motley Fool owns shares of Apple, Amazon.com, and Google. Motley Fool newsletter services recommend Apple, Amazon.com, and Google. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. We Fools may not all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2012, at 7:19 PM, Hawmps wrote:

A "click here to read the transcript" link would be super cool.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2012, at 7:19 PM, eyadm wrote:

InfoThatHelp, your comments are always biased and never accurate. RIM's playbook is a great machine and the software update will do nothing but boost sales. RIM is a company that employes very bright minded people and believe me, this year will be a good one for sales as the software they will launch will be untouchable!

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2012, at 8:32 PM, Bert31 wrote:

Just bought a 64 gb playbook. A few more bucks then the Kindle Fire for 8 x the storage, same exact form factor, front and rear camera, blackberry bridge for true wireless web without tethering charges, true web browsing not watered down mobile pages, bluetooth, GPS, HDMI output, multitasking. Seems like a bargain to me.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2012, at 10:08 PM, HabsSuck wrote:

Bought a 64GB PlayBook for $299, it's a great device and I'm running 0S2.0, the upgrade looks real sweet and I'm looking forward to the remote control feature.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2012, at 11:21 PM, eyadm wrote:

The Playbook is smaller for a reason InfoThatHelp. I have an iPad 2, an HP Touchpad, and most recently a Playbook. Hands down the Playbook is the winner of the 3. It is true that Apple does have more apps for the time being but the new software update will open up the Android apps to it, which is pretty comparable to the apple apps. The playbook is smaller so it is easier to transport for business people and fits easily in a purse or briefcase. The playbook is much easier to use in my opinion and even the current software on it is very stable. Let's not forget that the Playbook only accounts for about 3% of RIM's business so even if they stopped making it today, it will not likely bankrupt the company.

• Report this Comment On January 19, 2012, at 11:28 PM, eyadm wrote:

We must not forget that RIM created the smartphone. They won't be out of business soon. They currently hold no debt, they own millions in patents, their userbase is up to 75 million, and they keep posting profits every quarter. The stock is underpriced now and can only rise when the new software and devices are launched.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2012, at 6:28 AM, Bert31 wrote:

Final thoughts...most apps are scaled down web page displays, or are needed becuase the web pages don't work on iOS. PlayBook does not need that because you can actually load real web pages. TD Ameritrade Trade Architecht actually blows away and ipud or android app. As for the big deal they are making over "native" apps, well its not a big deal, if you need that stuff then wip out your blackberry. Good they added it to shut up the naysayers but not essential. Can access email through web browser anyway.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2012, at 9:50 AM, infektu wrote:

JamesApple aka InfoThatHelp

Since you are such an appl geniuz I have a question for you:

I tried to install all the iOS apps on my iPad but I couldn't.

I know there are some 250,000 apps there, but after installing less than 1,000 it told the "out of space".

What happened? I thought appl was the best in the iWorld...

I am a novice and I don't know what are apps for (this is why I wanted them all), please help!

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2012, at 9:51 AM, infektu wrote:

JamesApple aka InfoThatHelp

Since you are such an appl geniuz I have a question for you:

I tried to install all the iOS apps on my iPad but I couldn't.

I know there are some 250,000 apps there, but after installing less than 1,000 it gave me the message "out of space".

What happened? I thought appl was the best in the iWorld...

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2012, at 10:56 AM, whgt wrote:

I think it's safe to say InfoThatHelp is a troll. He comments negatively on every RIMM article he can and gives AAPL a rusty trombone every article about them. It'd be nice to read ONE article about RIMM on here without his unwanted input.

Sincerely,

Everyone.

• Report this Comment On January 20, 2012, at 11:59 AM, etgh wrote:

I just bought an 64GB iPad2 of just under $1K, a great price for a tablet.

It works really well but I can't "see" some of the web pages or content, the cameras are not that great, it doesn't multi-task very well and I have to pay for a separate data plan. It also is kind of heavy and so I can't hold it one hand and type with the other.

Other than that, its a great device for the price.