Will You Still Go See "The Dark Knight Rises"?

Several days ago, I determined to write a piece asking investors whether they still liked shares of Warner Bros. Studios parent Time Warner (NYSE: TWX  ) now that The Dark Knight Rises is bringing the trilogy from director Christopher Nolan to an end.

Now the very idea of writing anything that pairs the phrase "Dark Knight" with "end" seems, well, awful.

Early Friday morning, about 20 miles from where I was safely watching the midnight premiere of the film in Highlands Ranch, Colo., an armed madman killed 12 and injured at least 58 others at a screening in the Denver suburb of Aurora. Warner canceled a red-carpet premiere in Paris in response.

I'm angry this happened. I'm sure many of us are. But as USA Today's Claudia Puig eloquently wrote:

This horrific incident has shaken us all deeply. Amid lost lives, terrible injuries, and the quest to understand the incomprehensible, it may seem beside the point to urge people to keep going to the movies. But that is what must be done.

Do you feel similarly? Once thought to be a challenger to the Walt Disney (NYSE: DIS  ) billion-dollar blockbuster Marvel's The Avengers, the final installment of Nolan's Batman epics now faces the specter of fearful audiences choosing to stay away. Warner would lose out on profits in that case. So would IMAX (Nasdaq: IMAX  ) , which is banking on sold-out premium screenings to help boost earnings.

For his part, Nolan offered condolences to victims of the shooting in a statement issued yesterday:

Speaking on behalf of the cast and crew of The Dark Knight Rises, I would like to express our profound sorrow at the senseless tragedy that has befallen the entire Aurora community. I would not presume to know anything about the victims of the shooting but that they were there last night to watch a movie. I believe movies are one of the great American art forms and the shared experience of watching a story unfold on screen is an important and joyful pastime. The movie theatre is my home, and the idea that someone would violate that innocent and hopeful place in such an unbearably savage way is devastating to me. Nothing any of us can say could ever adequately express our feelings for the innocent victims of this appalling crime, but our thoughts are with them and their families.

Such sentiments are almost all we, as observers, can offer. We can also go see The Dark Knight Rises. Where do you stand? Did you see the movie this weekend? Have you already seen it? It's time to weigh in. Please vote in the poll below and then leave a comment in the box below to tell us what you think.

Television was revolutionary several decades ago. Now there's a new movement with some serious moneymaking potential for investors that spot it early. Do you know the three likely winners of this new industry revolution? A free special report will get you up to speed, so check it out now.

Fool contributor Tim Beyers is a member of the Motley Fool Rule Breakers stock-picking team and the Motley Fool Supernova Odyssey I mission. He owned shares of Time Warner and Walt Disney at the time of publication. Check out Tim's Web home, portfolio holdings, and Foolish writings, or connect with him on Google+ or Twitter, where he goes by @milehighfool. You can also get his insights delivered directly to your RSS reader.

The Motley Fool owns shares of Walt Disney. Motley Fool newsletter services have recommended buying shares of IMAX and Walt Disney. We Fools don't all hold the same opinions, but we all believe that considering a diverse range of insights makes us better investors. Try any of our Foolish newsletter services free for 30 days. The Motley Fool has a disclosure policy.

• Report this Comment On July 22, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Lookn4betterdays wrote:

I wasn't planning to go see it originally--not really my cup of tea--but plan to go now, simply as a show of unity and empathy with those impacted.

• Report this Comment On July 22, 2012, at 9:25 PM, TMFRhino wrote:

It has definitely effected the box office - Looks like the weekend is estimating to $160-$162 million. That's better than the last installment in box office dollars (slightly), but below expectations. We'll get the final numbers tomorrow.

In any case, my personal anecdotes point toward fear of copycat events/an overall tainting by association outweighing the desire to see the movie as a show of unity. That's unfortunate, but I can't blame people for wanting to stay away.

• Report this Comment On July 22, 2012, at 9:39 PM, Lookn4betterdays wrote:

Of course, I wouldn't blame anyone either. All the same, I'm going.

• Report this Comment On July 22, 2012, at 10:05 PM, EvanBuck wrote:

I wasn't planning on going to see it in the first place, and I won't be seeing it in the future.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2012, at 12:00 AM, Rujikin wrote:

I am going... F*** that shooter he isn't changing my life

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2012, at 12:04 AM, kevin4fr29 wrote:

Duh! I 'm going to see it in IMAX 70/15 for sure! Probably the best cinematic experience for $20 I'll have this year. What happened in Colorado was just another unexplainable act of violence. It has nothing to do with Warner Brothers, Chistopher Nolan, or Cinemark. It was a crazy act by a crazy person. My heart goes out to the victims of this tragedy as it does to any other victims of a senseless act of violence. But I'm still alive and I refuse to be a victim by association.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2012, at 9:09 AM, rtekosky wrote:

I hate to say this but I expect the film to outperform because of this horrible event, not do worse. 24 hour news coverage, the public goes to auto races for the crashes. Yes I'm cynical but I won't invest my money based upon possible outcomes of a disaster, that would be just as immoral and shameless.

• Report this Comment On July 23, 2012, at 10:16 AM, TechJunk13 wrote:

Bunking office to catch it on wednesday!!!

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2012, at 11:54 PM, LisaBee77 wrote:

One maniac brings out other maniacs, I would be afraid to go and see it but that's just who I am. School shootings may have started back in the 70's or whatever but it seems like you hear this kind of thing way too frequently! I think there's more crazy people than ever. As soon as family members or whoever see signs of something not right, they really should report it! It's so sad, tragic and scary... So many people have no remorse. You see negative mean awful comments everywhere you go on the internet, people have made jokes out of this tragic event :( It's just awful and sad and makes me feel sad to raise kids in such a cold place!

• Report this Comment On July 24, 2012, at 11:57 PM, LisaBee77 wrote:

I would watch this movie when it's released to the video stores