The iPhone 5 launch on Wednesday is sure to be the most important event for tech investors this year. The Motley Fool will host a live chat where our top tech analysts will answer your questions and break down what the announcement means for Apple and investors everywhere. Swing by Fool.com at 12:45 p.m. EDT this Wednesday for all of your coverage of Apple's next big announcement.
We're just one day away now. Tomorrow, the world will be watching as Apple
1. Fun facts and stats
Apple likes to take these opportunities to tout figures and stats that only Apple knows, such as the digits it gave at its Worldwide Developers Conference. Those included the fact that Apple now has 400 million active iTunes accounts, complete with credit cards just a tap away, cuing speculation about when Apple would launch a mobile payments service to challenge Google
Then there was the revelation that it had reached a cumulative developer payout of $5 billion in June. That figure was just $4 billion in January, and subsequently reached $5.5 billion in July. This metric is meaningful on several levels, including a monetary one. Since the iPhone maker keeps a 30% cut while passing along the remaining 70% to developers, that means Apple has brought in $2.35 billion in revenue from App Store purchases since 2008.
Any stats Apple chooses to share might even hint at how it will fare this quarter. For example, if the company decides to tell us its running tally of cumulative iPhone units sold to date, we could cross-reference that with the fact that it had sold 244.2 million iPhones through last quarter, and the difference would be this quarter's sales to date.
If Apple discloses lifetime iOS devices sold, which it likes to do on conference calls, we could similarly back into iPod touch cumulative unit sales, which Apple doesn't disclose specifically. There are all sorts of numbers games we can play. It just depends on what numbers Apple might give investors tomorrow.
2. Carrier partnerships
The iPhone is currently distributed on more than 250 wireless carriers in more than 100 countries. That's only half of the roughly 500 wireless carriers there are in the world, so there are plenty of additional partnerships to be inked and plenty more iPhones to sell abroad. However, let's be clear about something: CFO Peter Oppenheimer has already said that Apple doesn't "expect to add any significant new country or carrier additions in the September quarter," so don't expect any official announcements.
That being said, what I'll be looking for are hints of partnerships on the horizon. The most significant of which would be China Mobile
Of course, Apple would never say something like: "The iPhone 5! With Qualcomm's new 28-nanometer baseband! China Mobile, here we come!" But it might highlight its world-mode compatibilities with different global standards, a selling point for business travelers, for example.
Apple won't serve these carrier hints up on a silver iPlatter, if at all, so you'll need to be paying close attention.
3. The Cook & Schiller Show
When it comes to presentation showmanship, Steve Jobs had no match. Instead, CEO Tim Cook and marketing chief Phil Schiller have mostly combined their powers to do the best they can to get consumers riled up to snap up the new model.
Last year's iPhone 4S unveiling was Cook's first product announcement after officially becoming CEO, and also came the day before Steve Jobs' death. For these reasons, iPhone announcements may carry certain sentimentalities for him, for better or for worse.
Schiller now does the majority of the presenting, touting headline features and occupying the majority of the stage time. He has become Apple's new chief showman, while soft-spoken Cook tends to shy away from the spotlight whenever possible (hard to do when you're CEO of the largest company on Earth).
Tomorrow, Cook will probably do some introductions, boast some figures, then hand it off to Schiller. These two are set to be Apple's most prominent public figures in the coming years, so you better know who they are.
There's plenty more where that came from
On Wednesday, there will be a flurry of information and coverage and it might be hard not to get swept away in the media avalanche. Just keep an eye out for these three things, and be sure to check back on Fool.com afterward, because I'll be picking apart any iData I can get my hands on.
You've only got one day now before the iPhone 5 hits. Take the time to get access to this comprehensive iPhone 5 report that the Fool has put together. Sign up today and get a detailed comprehensive write-up, an iPhone 5 special report, as well as regular future updates for no additional cost! Just click here to get started.