Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Can Research In Motion Be a Four-Bagger?

Watch stocks you care about

The single, easiest way to keep track of all the stocks that matter...

Your own personalized stock watchlist!

It's a 100% FREE Motley Fool service...

Click Here Now

Struggling BlackBerry maker Research In Motion  (Nasdaq: RIMM  ) recently received a rare analyst upgrade from Jefferies analyst Peter Misek. Carriers are starting to show more interest in BlackBerry 10, but they have a vested interest in reducing the influence of Apple  (Nasdaq: AAPL  ) iOS and Google  (Nasdaq: GOOG  ) Android. Meanwhile, Microsoft  (Nasdaq: MSFT  ) continues to eye RIM's No. 3 spot in the smartphone market. The best-case scenario that Misek sees is that BlackBerry 10 matches iOS and Android competitively in features, but he believes the platform's success could skyrocket shares to $43 over the next 12 months -- a 300% upside from current prices.

See more in the following video with Fool contributor Evan Niu.

It's been a frustrating path for Microsoft investors, who've watched the company fail to capitalize on the incredible growth in mobile over the past decade. However, with the release of its own tablet, along with the widely anticipated Windows 8 operating system, the company is looking to make a splash in this booming market. In this brand-new premium report on Microsoft, our analyst explains that while the opportunity is huge, the challenges are many. He's also providing regular updates as key events occur, so make sure to claim a copy of this report now by clicking here.

Read/Post Comments (6) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

  • Report this Comment On November 22, 2012, at 4:22 PM, applefan1 wrote:

    All phones are subsidized. When someone buys a phone on a 2 year contract, the buyer ends up paying for the phone and whatever service they get which is typically expensive to begin with.

  • Report this Comment On November 22, 2012, at 4:23 PM, applefan1 wrote:

    None of major app developers seem to be developing for Blackberry, They are developing for iOS and Android.

  • Report this Comment On November 22, 2012, at 4:43 PM, tychicum wrote:

    happypoordays ... just say no to drugs.

  • Report this Comment On November 22, 2012, at 6:38 PM, Arthur1111 wrote:

    Misek says BB10 will catch up with iOS and Android at best? What a joke? based on the specs and what is known so far, BB10 is the very best. Why do you care what Misek says. We have been telling you since the RIMM was $6.50 to sell AAPL and buy RIMM. If you listened you've almost doubled your money.

    RIMM is up over 17% today in Canada. But, it is still dirt cheap. Investment is about making money. It has nothing to do being a fan to any company. Sooooo, sell AAPL and buy RIMM before it is too late.

  • Report this Comment On November 22, 2012, at 10:50 PM, digitally404 wrote:

    @applefan1: No major app developers for BB10? Are you joking? How about EA, Gameloft, TuneIn, Halfbrick (to name a few).

    The new BB10 phone is an intelligent phone that is being marketed to the intelligent members of the population. Android and iPhone fall on the side of toys that you get for your kids.

  • Report this Comment On November 23, 2012, at 7:42 AM, digitally404 wrote:

    Also, from Peter Misek's estimates, if BB10 has a 20% chance of becoming a success, Peter's PT is $43. This means BB10 has an 80% chance of not being a success, and I assume that this is Peter's PT of $10?

    Mathematically speaking, the expected value from Peter's PTs means the stock value should currently be valued to be (0.2*43 + 0.8*10) = $16.60

Add your comment.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2124405, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 10/25/2016 2:54:36 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 5 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,223.03 77.32 0.43%
S&P 500 2,151.33 10.17 0.47%
NASD 5,309.83 52.43 1.00%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

10/24/2016 4:00 PM
BBRY $7.35 Down -0.02 -0.27%
BlackBerry CAPS Rating: *
AAPL $117.65 Up +1.05 +0.90%
Apple CAPS Rating: ****
GOOGL $835.74 Up +11.68 +1.42%
Alphabet (A shares… CAPS Rating: *****
MSFT $61.00 Up +1.34 +2.25%
Microsoft CAPS Rating: ****