Track the companies that matter to you. It's FREE! Click one of these fan favorites to get started: Apple; Google; Ford.



Equity Residential Selling $1.5 Billion Worth of Assets to Goldman Sachs Joint Venture

On Monday, Equity Residential (NYSE: EQR  ) announced it has entered into an agreement to sell 27 residential apartment properties to a joint venture of Goldman Sachs (NYSE: GS  ) and Greystar Real Estate Partners LLC.

The maximum purchase price based on the value of the assets is $1.5 billion. However, Equity is giving the buyers the right to exclude, or decline to purchase, up to 8% of the assets by value, potentially decreasing the purchase price to $1.38 billion. In order of concentration, the assets in question are located in Washington, D.C., northern New Jersey, Florida, Phoenix, Denver, Southern California, and the San Francisco Bay area.

Equity noted in a statement that it is selling these assets for two reasons: First, to exit "non-core assets" and markets it is less interested in participating in. Second, to raise cash to fund its portion of the Archstone Enterprise LP business Lehman Brothers Holdings is selling. Equity announced it was buying 60% of Archstone in a $6.5 billion deal in November. (AvalonBay Communities (NYSE: AVB  ) is buying the remaining 40%.)


Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (0)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2182193, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/26/2016 7:04:51 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 2 days ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,261.45 -131.01 -0.71%
S&P 500 2,164.69 -12.49 -0.57%
NASD 5,305.75 -33.78 -0.63%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

9/23/2016 4:03 PM
EQR $64.44 Up +0.08 +0.12%
Equity Residential CAPS Rating: ***
AVB $182.77 Up +0.66 +0.36%
AvalonBay Communit… CAPS Rating: *
GS $165.13 Down -2.89 -1.72%
Goldman Sachs CAPS Rating: ***