7 Top Stocks for 2013

Hedge fund manager Ray Dalio recently told CNBC that 2013 is likely to be a transition year, where "large amounts of cash will move to stock and all sorts of stuff." People will spend their cash, according to Dalio, by investing in equities and other assets.

So far in 2013, Dalio appears to be correct. The S&P 500 is up 6% for the year, after increasing by 16% in 2012. Retail investors put a record $39.3 billion into U.S. mutual funds and exchange-traded funds just last month, according to investment research firm TrimTabs.

How good are you at poker?
Will 2013 ultimately shape up just as Dalio has indicated? I honestly have no idea. I do have great respect for Dalio's knowledge of markets, and certainly wouldn't want to be sitting across from him at a poker table. As he noted in the interview, his firm spends hundreds of millions of dollars on research, and he's been doing this for 37 years. I'm definitely in no position to challenge Ray Dalio on his macro outlook.

Fortunately, I don't have to. At The Motley Fool, we tend to focus most of our energies on identifying great businesses to invest in for the long term, while paying less attention to how the overall market might be performing in the near term. With that in mind, I asked some of our top analysts from our Real-Money Stock Picks program for their best stock recommendations for 2013 and beyond. You'll find those seven recommendations in the embedded slideshow below.

Lucky seven
Some of the companies will be familiar to you. For example, Fool analyst Alyce Lomax points to Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ: WFM  ) as her highest-conviction stock for long-term portfolios. She believes the company is well-positioned to benefit from growing healthy eating and sustainability trends.

Analyst Jim Mueller recommends a less well-known company named Western Refining (NYSE: WNR  ) . The oil refiner might sound like a dull choice, but it's somehow managed to deliver total returns of 722% over the past three years. Who said your investments need to be entertaining anyway?

To see all seven top stocks for 2013, just click the arrows within the embedded slideshow below. Alternatively, you can view all of the companies by clicking the link below the slideshow.

7 top stocks for 2013 from The Motley Fool.

If you're looking to build real wealth regardless of market conditions, then you might be interested in our Motley Fool Pro investing service. Pro aims to deliver consistent, recurring profits with a high level of accuracy in all markets. To learn more, just click here.

link

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 1:43 PM, tomthom86 wrote:

I have great respect for the Fools picks.hve done well wth the the SA. merchant Co. Not so well with Amazon, but i got out early.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 3:28 PM, e60m wrote:

I get a little confused by the offering of so many different Newsletters and Investment formats. Is the one I'm paying for now not as informative as the NEW one being offered, or not offering stocks that are not as potentially profitable as the NEXT BIG THING?? How in the world am I supposed to know what to subscribe to- if any?

CW Clayton

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 3:51 PM, parrotwallace wrote:

C.W.'s question is a very good one - perhaps rather than offering all the different newsletters and/or subscription services, some thought is put into fewer with very defined purposes that will appeal to a specific set of members.

I think that would be much less confusing and more members would match up with the services/subscriptions that are right for their goals.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 4:07 PM, TMFBane wrote:

@e60m and parrotwallace,

Sorry for the confusion. This article was created for our free site. It's not at all related to our premium subscription services.

For assistance with your subscription(s), you can click on this link:

On our free site, we aim to provide high-quality investment ideas for our readers. Our premium services, as one might imagine, can offer deeper ongoing coverage and analysis.

Anyway, I can understand how making sense of it all can be a challenge. Let us know if we can help in some way.

Best,

John

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 6:56 PM, jfnics wrote:

The way to help is to stop sending the "free" spam to your subcribers...seriously how hard is it to separate a premium subsciber email address from a prospect?

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 7:05 PM, jimfool9898 wrote:

I just joined today and am looking for the name of the 3 companies who will benefit most from the internet TV revolution (not apple or google) and I got guided to another LONG video wanting me to subscribe to Motley Rulebreakers for the name of a cellular tower company, but it would cost me $199/yr (CW Clayton's comment above is SO RIGHT)...its probably American Tower but i dunno.

Anyway, can some kind soul tell me where the name and ticker is of those 3 companies i mentioned at the start? thanks, jimfool9898

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 7:05 PM, MichAgain wrote:

I echo CW's sentiment.

It seems the folks at Fool might place their premium subscribers in a separate bucket. And spare them from the special (veiled solicitations) emails that I continue to receive.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 7:33 PM, matsuwesty wrote:

Yes, it's American Tower (AMT). Those videos can be VERY long and redundant. I know they are trying to build up excitement and suspense, but the videos could be half the length and have the same effect.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 8:00 PM, earledouglas wrote:

I wish they would give the name of the hot prospect in the first sentence. And then go on to tell all of the reasons why this is a hot prospect. I rarely listen to any long-winded video presentation. I just don't have the patience for it!

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 8:20 PM, tradey wrote:

Hooray...hopefully MF will take notice of their subscribers! I get bucket loads of irrelevent e mails directed at attracting NEW members - surely we current subscribers can be deleted from these lists.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 8:39 PM, jlarpenteur wrote:

I have nothing to add except to endorse CW's comments and his/her supporters. This is just more confirmation. Hoped MF listens.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 9:12 PM, lostthemost wrote:

I confess that my enthusiasm for the Fools has waned considerably. They seem to be no more than a touting service for all and sundry. Sorry, fools.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 10:24 PM, stumptownbro wrote:

Hello All,

As subscribers to any MF service you can decide what extra "free" emails / notifications you receive. Simply go to My Fool > My Settings > Emails and Communications and select which extra notifications you do / do not want. Problem solved.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 11:03 PM, dreamkitty wrote:

Yes I too agree with CW and all the others.Hope The Fool takes note.They put a little bit of bait out there and then waste your time trying to set the Hook.C'om on Fool you can do better.If you want a thoughtful informative community throwing around stock ideas try SEEKING ALFA.Good luck trading all.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 11:32 PM, EarlBerger wrote:

I agree there is too much coming in on a daily basis and it is very confusing. Why is the onus on us to stop the extras? Don't send them.

Also, 'best buys now' often drop dramatically. Some advisory services put a recommended price or range along with their recommendation. You used to do that. You now have many products and, may I suggest, your results seem to be suffering -perhaps not; I may be reading the data wrong.

• Report this Comment On February 08, 2013, at 11:40 PM, 8Lives wrote:

Success --fame fortune and GREED-- is tough for us all.

Keep strong, Motley

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 12:05 AM, jlclayton wrote:

I've been subscribing to MF for a few years now and my premium services are Hidden Gems and Income Investor. I enjoy reading the free advice columns and the common sense thinking that is presented.

There are emails sent to me that are intended to entice me to look at their other services, and I recognize them and simply delete them. It's a couple clicks of the mouse--I really don't see what the fuss is all about or how inconvenient that is.

So MF, send me whatever you want--I've had great success with your services and will continue to subscribe in the future!

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 12:07 AM, Canalkid2 wrote:

I agree. I subscribed to MF because I value their advice. But I don't think I or anyone else should have to wade into a personal settings page and set my preferences to not receive Spam.

As for Seeking Alpha being a worthwhile site with thoughtful commentary I respectfully disagree. SA pays their contributors by the page click and their journalistic standard for conflict of interest is underwater. Time and time again I see shills who are panning a stock because they've shorted it (or are writing for someone who has and the quality of the analysis, particularly for biotech stocks, is no richer than what one might get from an armchair observer sitting in the airline seat next to you. In the end, the only advice you can bank on as unconflicted is your own due diligence.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 12:13 AM, jgirdis wrote:

The links don't work, they still keep trying to make you watch the dumb video for 1/2 hour. I just want to read the article about the 7 stocks. And yeh, I am a premium member too, great premium treatment!

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 2:16 AM, DubiousMo wrote:

Your promos are dumb and dumber! They are repetitive, self-congratulatory, and you provide no way to skip through them at an accelerated pace. Have SOME respect for your targets and stop wasting our time. You sound like late-night shills for sushi knives. Just stop padding your videos with over-wrought verbiage and get to the point.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 3:08 AM, Dalesman100 wrote:

I just joined last week - paid my sub. Very displeased with the junk e mails advocating spending more money to get the next big thing - thought I already paid.

In short - so far pretty dissappointed

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 5:50 AM, mobilemaker wrote:

I didn't feel the need to echo the sentiments expressed above, sparked from CW's comments. But what the heck... CW and the guys that followed couldn't have said it better. I've been a long time subscriber to the Stock Advisor newsletter. Time and time again, I get sent promo material that keeps up- and cross-selling the other newsletters. I honestly cannot say that I never wondered if I'm getting '2nd-half advisory' to those so-called more premium ones.

Dear Fools administrator, would you agree it's a good idea to summarise in a simple comparative table of what subscribers get with each newsletter?

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 6:33 AM, gsurmvudjk wrote:

Yeah, I rarely even click on Motley articles any more, even though I'm a member. It's just one stupid come-on after another. Good example: special premium report will give you three good reasons to buy Apple and three good reasons to sell Apple. My paid membership is worthless. Same goes for a several other scam "newsletter" outfits. And they make it hard to unsubscribe...it's also hard to write this response without using "bad words"...oooo...what I'd like to say! Well, maybe we all need to learn a lesson...

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 7:02 AM, Bujutsu wrote:

I subscribe to Stock Advisor and Rule Breakers, but to be honest, the stock picks by the Gardner brothers have consistently (and grossly!) under performed another stock newsletter from a different site that I also subscribed to. I will not be renewing my subscriptions.

The "in-depth" analysis and guidance in SA and RB has been seriously lacking. I found that my financial losses were much worse using TMF picks and they took much longer to get back to even. They pump stocks with sky-high PEs endlessly, only to watch them crash spectacularly.

Either way, the Motley Fool wins, they are "motley" and constantly give conflicting information, so that at least someone at Fool HQ is always correct no matter what happens. How convenient! Stock Advisor was actively recommending everyone to buy Netflix while another TMF newsletter was telling all of its subscribers to short Netflix. They were just playing us all for fools (that is with a lower case "f").

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 10:33 AM, biju77 wrote:

I have found it frustrating to get to your current

thinking on a large number of stocks recommended

by MF. As MF ONE subscriber, I would like to see

a continuously updated section where you spell out

whether an equity is a buy and in what price range,

or if it is in hold or sell position.

Three of your analysts weighed in recently painting

a not very positive picture for Netflix, and yet in other

places it is recommended as a buy.

Only a small portion of your service is currently

usable due conflicting advise, long verbiage, and

lack of summary section.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 11:48 AM, jmooresrs wrote:

Just wanted to agree with all the comments on too many advertising emails...

Well said by all...I was a member for a year and too confused on how to even rejoin...and which membership! Do not have the time to go through it all or watch the hook and bait videos either

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 11:51 AM, jmooresrs wrote:

In addition, I do not want to go to a site to turn off getting advertising to non-members when being a member!

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 2:21 PM, stumptownbro wrote:

One could change their MF Email Notification Preferences in less time than it takes to post a comment to this thread. Again problem solved.

And if my memory serves me right, when initially signing up for one of the paid services there is an option to receive additional notifications / information from TMF. This option can be checked to receive or unchecked to decline.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 2:46 PM, larryfr1 wrote:

I cannot agree more with some of the negative comments above. I find your continual touting some "new " product confusing and annoying. It also creates the indelible impression that what you are feeding via the newsletter is not nearly as valuable as what you can "really" get in Supernova or other such higher priced nonsense. too cutesy for me. I also find format confusing and disorganized. If I bought NOV for instance at 74 and watched it drop rapidly by 10% I'd like to be able to access your thoughts on that. Your reports are all over the place.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 4:10 PM, 1297US12 wrote:

I thought I was the only one, made out great with DDD and SSYS, but lost my but with MAKO and WPRT.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 4:42 PM, DrLinks wrote:

Ditto to all the above. I did make out great with DDD & SSYS, but lost my shirt with LKQ, WPRT, and MAKO. Ironically, I bought a 2014 $76 Call LEAP in NOV @ $74 as it was Toms Pick o the Month @ their flagship TMF SA service and have watched it get absolutely OBLITERATED... I agree oil prices are going higher, but where's the follow up on a REC that goes down the toilet? Why is it that NUAN is often their Best Buy Now and it got CRUSHED on weak earnings forecasts, not so much EPS and REVS as they only missed EPS by a penny... The point is there is no accountability when TEAM Gardner picks a winner and it goes to hell in a handbasket...

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 5:33 PM, alohaseld wrote:

The reasons above are exactly why I discontinued my subscription to the Motley Fool. Too much solicitation and confusion.. I made great money on VMW and sold it near it's high and great with

DEO.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 7:57 PM, 1sweet1 wrote:

You can get weekly rather than daily suggested articles from MF, which makes it a little more manageable, and then I may only read the few on the right side that peole have liked and emailed to their friends.

But the thing that frosts my dilly is the 45 minute, boring, boring "reports" that just tell you the name of one of the 3 stocks of the report title.

MF is big enough to get some help from professional people instead of putting out garbage.

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 8:43 PM, craigbutelo wrote:

I really am glad that I am associated with MF. I agree that I am often confused by the long videos and I am not sure which level of advice I am privy to.

Why can't we join M.F. and pay a small percent on our winnings. How about a one time fee and we get it all. Probably not legal but I have paid sports experts based on winning touts. . . whatever.

Foolishcraig

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 9:17 PM, trek790 wrote:

Am a bit late here but like some my enthusiasm for MF has waned considerably since starting my paid subscription in late 2011. Too many spam emails, too much confusion and the videos are too long. I can tolerate all of the above if only their stock picks were better! If you hadn't caught DDD when it was first recommended then the rest of their picks would have killed you.

I did better with simply choosing a five star from Morningstar!

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 10:02 PM, AaronRodgers wrote:

David and Tom....I agree completely with these posts.

I just went to settings to remove me from "free" services. Hopefully that helps.

Advertise to "non-subscribers." I just need the bottom line and your advice. Too much email!

To the Fools credit, I've hit homeruns with AMZN and DDD. Fool on.

PS...is it time to give up on NOV and ATVI? What happened to LQDT?

• Report this Comment On February 09, 2013, at 11:24 PM, nowizard wrote:

I too will not be renewing my long-time subscription because TMF has become more annoyance for me than it is benefit.

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 12:22 AM, Marmadukemark wrote:

I hope MF takes to heart all the comments from their MEMBERS! Here's my take: I think their intentions were excellent in the beginning, to help us common folks become better investors. Who could not say that's a noble intent. But I think they tried to all things to all people and lost their focus. So, by starting all these premium services (I get that MF has to make $), but things began to get out of hand. At present count there are 14 premium services! That's not counting the all the mutual funds. And of course each new one is better than the last one, at least that's how it makes me feel. And the endless promotions, good lord. I'm trying to forget the fiasco called MAKO, yet everywhere I turn they use that disaster as one of their great triumphs! Come on MF! Treat us AS Fools, not LIKE fools.

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 1:10 AM, mobilemaker wrote:

MF - would you care to make a comment based on our feedback here?

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 11:41 AM, bordereiver wrote:

Waste of time trying to identify your 7, I repeat 7 stocks for 2013. What happened?

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 11:54 AM, enthuskeptic wrote:

Now I ignore all video presentations. They are all a lot of time-consuming blahbedi blah with a sales spiel at the end.

Maybe TMF and Money Map Press will understand that we're not fools when we stop paying for and reading worthless stuff. There are too many old articles in new "news"letters. Constantly articles from other newsletters pop up when I open a "new" one.

TMF and MMP need to reorganize radically in order to keep readers or get anyone to pay for anything.

Yes, it is difficult to unsubscribe sometimes. I have uns'ed everything from ino.com, but their stuff keeps coming in my inbox. EIA keep sending to my junk box, maybe hoping that I will read something. I'm a pensioner, but don't have the time.

Now I'm going to uns. Stock Advisor. Later I can tell you Fools how that went...

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 12:10 PM, MarionsJB3 wrote:

Signed up with Tom & David many years ago. Now frustrated with everyone else on board trying to sell me something. Why not just a good newsletter aimed at loyal customers? Easy to understand with regular reviews of previously recommended stocks. If not, I too will not renew my subscription.

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 12:10 PM, enthuskeptic wrote:

I can't find any place to unsubscribe a paid TMF service! Can TMF please tell me how by e-mail?

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 12:30 PM, TMFBane wrote:

Thanks for all of your comments, everyone. I'm sorry so many of you were frustrated by the piece. That certainly wasn't our intention at all.

First of all, here are the stocks from the slideshow (which does not, by the way, have sound):

WFM

DVN

TTS

EBAY

WNR

ARCO

LAZ

The thinking behind the piece was this: we have many analysts that run real-money portfolios that everyone can follow along for free. What if we were to ask them for their best buys now? And then share them with our readers?

So that was the plan. For the slideshow, all you need to do is click the arrows to see the stocks. But I do appreciate that some internet connections may make that difficult.

Anyway, I'm terribly sorry for the trouble.

All the best,

John Reeves (TMFBane)

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 2:00 PM, JeffParrel wrote:

My 2013 picks:

Solid one:

AIG

ALU

Agressive picks: Solar Sector ( like <LDK< STP>) - be very careful here

This is in a good agreement with:

* Morgan Stanley*

** I Know First algorithmic system**

Good Luck to allof US!

• Report this Comment On February 10, 2013, at 2:14 PM, TMFBrich wrote:

Folks --

Thanks for all the feedback. We've clearly hit a nerve, and need to do a better job serving our members and readers alike.

To try to clear up some of the confusion:

*This is an article from Fool.com, our free site. It is not part of a Motley Fool premium subscription service.

*The seven stocks are fully disclosed above in the slideshow. You don't need to click to another page, either -- the slideshow is embedded in the page. As John Reeves mentioned in a previous comment, the seven stocks are: WFM, DVN, TTS, EBAY, WNR, ARCO, and LAZ.

*This article was sent out to those who subscribe to FoolWatch Weekly and My Fool Daily. There are four possible emails you would receive from The Motley Fool: (1) Special offers emails, which present information and sales about our premium services; (2) FoolWatch Weekly, our free weekly digest of the top Fool.com articles of the week; (3) My Fool Daily, our free daily digest of the top news stories published on Fool.com; and (4) emails related to your subscription services (new issues, updates, buy/sell recommendations, etc.), if you are a Fool member.

*You can update/unsubscribe to the first three emails by going to my.fool.com, clicking on "Account Settings," and then clicking "Email and Other Communications."

*If you are a member and you have a question, concern, or comment related to your premium subscription or TMF, you can reach our Member Services team by emailing membersupport@fool.com or by calling 1-888-665-3665 from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. ET.

*Some of our Special Offers messages contain slideshows with voiceovers. I'll communicate all of the feedback in this thread to our marketing team.

We take your feedback seriously, and value the kind of transparency this very comments thread allows for -- our customers (members and readers) taking us to task. Thanks for airing your grievances.

Best regards,

Brian Richards

Managing Editor, Fool.com

brichards@fool.com

• Report this Comment On February 11, 2013, at 12:40 AM, palofire wrote:

I appreciate the high level of courtesy that commentators on this site use. I have used various Motley Fool recommendations for years, from one "plan" or another. Some of my most successful investments have resulted from Not making purchase of said recommendation at the Time it was made, but instead, by waiting for a reasonable pull back in the stock, and then buying a bit greater quantity of it.

As to the many Complaints aimed at the notion of the whole "Motley Fool" name trending towards cheapening over the past few years, I could not agree more. You Sir Fools Leaders have, in my opinion, erred toward the "greed" side, to which you yourselves have alluded.

I am inundated with so much "latest and greatest" investment advice everyday that I would need a 26 hour day just to read it or watch it or think about it. Many of us wish that Motley Fool would not take advantage of "knowing where we live" and leaving so much stuff in our mail boxes.

I imagine, though, that the "bean counters" in you have discovered that there is still some profit to be gained from "chumming" enough hooks."--the fishermen among us know what I mean.

Thanks for your good work; but take me off your "chum" lists. It would be very easy for you to give subscribers the opportunity to chose. Just ask. Thank you

• Report this Comment On February 11, 2013, at 9:50 AM, KAFN8TED wrote:

What was last year's 7 Top Stocks and how'd they perform??

• Report this Comment On February 11, 2013, at 10:10 AM, TMFBane wrote:

@KAFN8TED,

This is the first year that we've asked our analysts, who are running real-money portfolios on Fool.com, to provide their "best buys" for this year and beyond.

We will report back, though, to let you know how these ideas have performed over time.

• Report this Comment On February 11, 2013, at 1:23 PM, rmor525 wrote:

I agree with many of the posts. I receive too much Marketing materials with my paid subscription and now I am at the point I just want it to stop. Out of 5 fool emails over the weekend 3 were marketing more services. Jeff Fischer, Jeremy Phillips, David Gardner - These all seem to be Marketing names now! Don't you guys more important things to do that create Marketing videos?

Good news, fresh ideas that gets to the point for people with limited time is what I believe your customers seek. Please take a hard look at your Maketing and get a develop new strategy. Your current process is not working for me. By the looks of the comments, I am not the only one having issues.

Once a month okay, but it seems to be a regular part of the Fool strategy. I get that you are trying to make some of your new products available to existing clients first. I appluad your thought. However, I am tired of the majority of Fool emails be Marketing. The relentless Marketing will be considered when it's time to renew. It of course is not in the plus column. Is the only way to get it to stop is be put on your DNC list?

I enjoy what I pay for, but please halt the additional Marketing. When it comes time to renew, I willl review my options at that point and make a decision. I like the suggestion above have an option for clients to opt out of the Marketing emails. Thank you for listening.

• Report this Comment On February 13, 2013, at 3:16 PM, secretgreg wrote:

There are way to many news letters coming to my email. I see one person saying this and another saying that. I guess I could by the entire stock market and meet the goals of the Fools that keep sending multiple news letters. Come on guys and gals. To together on this and stick to just one thing.

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2013, at 5:35 PM, RichardSherman25 wrote:

can anyone tell me what the 7 companies are? the links do not work and the slide share site is terrible to navigate

• Report this Comment On February 15, 2013, at 5:36 PM, RichardSherman25 wrote:

never mind, just scrolled up

• Report this Comment On January 01, 2014, at 11:41 AM, MarcTx wrote:

It's always interesting to re-visit these articles with the benefit of hindsight. These expertly picked stocks performed significantly worse on average than the Dow Jones, S&P 500 or NASDAQ this year.

I would be very interested to hear a foolish comment on this.

As it is, this is pretty strong evidence, that your experts, are not only foolish, but ignorant in inept.