While Comcast (NASDAQ: CMCSA ) had up to this point only held a 51% stake in NBCUniversal with General Electric (NYSE: GE ) holding the remaining 49%, the two companies have now reached a deal for GE to sell Comcast its stake in the company for $16.7 billion. And, in an unusual turn for this type of deal, shares were up for both companies as a result. In this video, Motley Fool senior technology analyst Eric Bleeker tells investors why this move fits in both with GE's plans to streamline and with Comcast's goal of providing both media connectivity and media content.
For GE, the recent financial crisis struck a blow, but management took advantage of the market's dip to make strategic bets in energy. If you're a GE investor, you need to understand how these bets could drive this company to become the world's infrastructure leader. At the same time, you need to be aware of the threats to GE's portfolio. To help, we're offering comprehensive coverage for investors in a premium report on General Electric, in which our industrials analyst breaks down GE's multiple businesses. You'll find reasons to buy or sell GE, and you'll receive continuing updates as major events unfold during the year. To get started, click here now.