3 Shares Set to Beat the FTSE 100 Today

LONDON -- The FTSE 100 (FTSEINDICES: ^FTSE  ) started hesitantly, but as of 7:55 a.m. EST it's up 0.38% to 6,404 points, having earlier broken the 6,400 level to set a new 52-week high of 6,412 -- its highest level since 2008. Positive results from some FTSE 100 companies, together with improving economic sentiment, appear to lie behind the rise.

So which shares are on the up? Here are three constituents of the indexes rising today.

BT (LSE: BT-A  ) (NYSE: BT  )
Shares in BT Group perked up 1.5% to 281 pence on the news that the telecom giant has been successful in its bidding for 4G spectrum. For the sum of 186 million pounds, BT has secured the rights to 2x15 MHz of FDD and 20 MHz of TDD 2.6 GHz spectrum, with the license good for at least 20 years. According to chief executive Ian Livingstone, the bandwidth will be used to complement BT's existing strategy, rather than to build a new national network.

The auctions, which saw rival Vodafone also succeed in its bid, raised a total of 2.34 billion pounds -- a far cry from the 22 billion pounds raised by 3G auctions in 2000.

Rexam (LSE: REX  )
Final results from Rexam boosted the share price by 5% to 500 pence this morning. Sales at the consumer packaging company rose by 2% to 4.3 billion pounds, with underlying pre-tax profit up 1% to 418 million pounds and earnings per share up 5% to 35.5 pence. A total dividend of 15.2 pence was announced, up 6% and representing a yield of 3%.

The period saw the disposal of the firm's personal-care division, with 395 million pounds being returned to shareholders.

Spectris (LSE: SXS  )
Spectris shares have picked up 1.2% to 2,455 pence, taking the price up more than 40% over the past year to a new 52-week high after the instrumentation and controls developer released full-year results.

At constant exchange rates, sales for the year to December 2012 were up 13% to 1.23 billion pounds, with adjusted pre-tax profit up the same percentage to 217 million pounds and adjusted earnings per share up 11% to 137.5 pence. The company lifted its dividend by 16% to 39 pence per share for a yield of 1.6%.

As we exit a recession and depressed share prices are rising, the odds can be tipped in favor of growth investors. But finding the best growth shares is not easy. If you want some help with the task, I recommend you get yourself a copy of our brand-new report "The Motley Fool's Top Growth Share For 2013," which is the result of some serious brain-work by the Fool's top analysts. It's completely free of charge, but it will be available for a limited period only. So click here to get your copy today.

Read/Post Comments (0) | Recommend This Article (1)

Comments from our Foolish Readers

Help us keep this a respectfully Foolish area! This is a place for our readers to discuss, debate, and learn more about the Foolish investing topic you read about above. Help us keep it clean and safe. If you believe a comment is abusive or otherwise violates our Fool's Rules, please report it via the Report this Comment Report this Comment icon found on every comment.

Be the first one to comment on this article.

Compare Brokers

Fool Disclosure

Sponsored Links

Leaked: Apple's Next Smart Device
(Warning, it may shock you)
The secret is out... experts are predicting 458 million of these types of devices will be sold per year. 1 hyper-growth company stands to rake in maximum profit - and it's NOT Apple. Show me Apple's new smart gizmo!

DocumentId: 2265093, ~/Articles/ArticleHandler.aspx, 9/28/2016 6:20:35 AM

Report This Comment

Use this area to report a comment that you believe is in violation of the community guidelines. Our team will review the entry and take any appropriate action.

Sending report...

Today's Market

updated 9 hours ago Sponsored by:
DOW 18,228.30 133.47 0.74%
S&P 500 2,159.93 13.83 0.64%
NASD 5,305.71 48.22 0.92%

Create My Watchlist

Go to My Watchlist

You don't seem to be following any stocks yet!

Better investing starts with a watchlist. Now you can create a personalized watchlist and get immediate access to the personalized information you need to make successful investing decisions.

Data delayed up to 5 minutes

Related Tickers

9/28/2016 6:05 AM
BT-A $389.30 Up +2.30 +0.59%
BT CAPS Rating: No stars
REX $0.00 Down +0.00 +0.00%
Rexam CAPS Rating: No stars
^FTSE $6853.62 Up +45.95 +0.67%
FTSE 100 CAPS Rating: No stars
BT $25.44 Down +0.00 +0.00%
BT Group CAPS Rating: *****
SXS $1977.00 Up +18.00 +0.92%
Spectris CAPS Rating: No stars